Thread: 9.3x62

Default 9.3x62

Does anyone have an opinion as to this calibre for bear hunting. What mfg and type of bullet would you use.

Thanks, Muleskinner1111

Quote Originally Posted by Muleskinner1111 View Post
    Does anyone have an opinion as to this calibre for bear hunting. What mfg and type of bullet would you use.

Thanks, Muleskinner1111

Thank you for posting that question. I was wondering what I was going to do with a barrel blank I have here. That was the answer to the question.

Yes the 9.3X62 will do all that you could want to use it for. It is one of the great ctgs of all time for hunting.

I would use the 320 grain round nose soft points from Woodleigh.

Here is a link to what I recommend for hunting bullets.

http://www.woodleighbullets.com.au/B...0List%203.html

You have selected one of the all time best ctg for hunting.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I'd rather run a 286-grain Barnes TSX bullet for that cartridge.

I have used the 286gr partition on moose to excellent effect and would definately go with that bullet again on any game. THe 9.3x62 is an excellent performer without too much recoil. The 286gr bullet competes veryu closely with the 375 H&H in both tradjectory and performance. My 9.3x62 is a p17 enfield scout and holds 5 down. I couldn't think of a better combination out to 300 yards for any big game. The speer 270gr bullet is a little too soft for me to use on big game again, I wasn't im pressed with how it blew apart, it would make a find deer bullet but I wouldn't use it for anything bigger.

Muleskinner, "my" opinion is just that-personal use is that to Thors hammer! I used for both my grizzly and moose this fall the 286 Partition and RL15. I have a box of 320 PP Woodleighs but do not need them or will ever unless it is for ......... in close on a T-Rex. My bullets hit and exit-nothing for my tin cup souvenoirs.

I shoot and own quite a few mid-bore and magnums and believe the 9,3x62 Mauser is way to often overlooked....I want another made up but that will have to wait until Satterlee Arms gets done with my 1909 Arg. 9.3x64 barreled action.

A great cartridge! Brass is readily available and a great selection of bullets.

I will reiterate what Thebear_78 and Grizz106 has said. It is a great working rifle with the partition or similar bullet at about 2400 fps. It is one of those calibers that almost always exits. So in that way, I will beg to disagree with Big Al. More bullet weight and even higher sectional density is not called for. Also this will drop velocity a little and reduce expansion further, not really what is needed. Not to cast any shadow on the Woodleigh bullets, they are ideal at these velocities, but just that the extra weight isn't needed.

I've used this caliber some in the African game fields myself and seen it used quite a bit by others including its use on an african lioness. To sum this up, nothing but exit holes. In particular for one hunt with a fellow for whom I loaded the Barnes bullets, they rarely showed any sign of the 'X ' shaped exit holes, more like entrance holes. At 2400 fps they didn't expand fully in the smaller stuff. For the heavier bones and body of eland and gemsbok they did show some expansion. The caliber doesn't destroy soft tissue as do higher velocity rounds and it's claim to fame is deep penetration. This it has it in spades.
    Last edited by Murphy; 09-24-2008 at 09:22.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Thanks for all the help

As a new member to this forum I'd like to thank all of you for the information that you have provided for my 338-06 and the 9.3x62.

This forum is extremely helpful and the members contribute very valuable information

Thanks, Robert

The only 9.3 I have seen is the 9.3 Rock. There is some old information in the archives on this cartridge. Aparently there are 5 of these rifles currently in existance the one I have seen is on a B78 falling block Browning. As far as I understand the owner has not shot anything that wasn't recovered at the POI.

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...ting/60485.htm

This is the 250 TSX on smaller Brown Bears.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/...5558#665105558

If reloading I would go for the 286 partition. I recently went north and didn't have time to work up 286 loads so used lapua 285 mega bonded. A fellow knocked the price down to make it bearable. Accurate and about 2350 through the chrono. i didn't connect but with a name like mega bonded, I wouldn't hesitate.

Default 9.3x62

Shot my 9.3x62 quite a bit this past year and am starting to think it's pretty darn practical and efficient . My 550 CZ really liked the 286 gr. Noslers , very accurate and did a great job on my moose with picture book expansion . Ran into an exceptionally large interior grizz in close quarters and would have rather had my .458 for 10 minutes or so but other than that I'm starting to think the 9.3 beats the .30 cals and a .338 for all around Ak. gun .

Thumbs up big medicine.....

I think it shoots a bullet about the same weight and diamater as a famous .375 caliber does, just a little slower and with less recoil. That is a good thing, unless your the target!

What twist do you 9.3x62 shooters prefer? I see some after market barrels (Lothar Walther) have a 1 in 14 twist, but the CZ 550s have a much faster twist (like 1 in 10?).
    I agree that a 286 grain bullet is likely all you'll ever need, but if I wanted to use the heavier Woodleigh, I'd need the faster twist.