Thread: *Deer Hunt* Looking For a Cheap Drop Off, help please

Wink *Deer Hunt* Looking For a Cheap Drop Off, help please

Well I am officially out of Deer meat in the ice box. I NEED some more! I am trying to put together a deer hunt on Montague around Oct 24th-29th. One guy has a 28' Bayliner, we are unsure if that boat is capibale of making the journey out there that late in the season. We have 5 guys and would almost just prefer a drop off and pick up. Who could I call on to get a good price without breaking all of our savings. Any of you have a boat that could hold 5 guys and gear for 5 days? Want to make a few $$$ for a ride there and back? Hopefully someone around here has partaken in this kind of a hunt and found a good cheap boat ride out there! Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to share!

Default water taxi

I know nothing of this persons service but looks like what you need....

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/845182181.html

Natron air drops off on Montague for +/- $875 pp.

Tim

Default Swee Pea

Try Matt with Fish Whittier:

http://www.fishwhittier.com/

he does fall drops out in the sound. he is an excellent captain with a terrific boat. I have used him numerous times.... I think he charges about $9 per mile... he is a licensed transporter.

Greg

I'm heading out with these guys the week before you. We're coming back on the 24th. He charges by the boat, but with 5 other guys it shouldn't be too bad, maybe about 400-500 each.

www.alaskagoodtimecharters.com

Quote Originally Posted by akiceman25 View Post
    I know nothing of this persons service but looks like what you need....

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/845182181.html

I will vouch (with my life) for this captain. He's one hell of a boat driver, licensed transporter and a real nice guy to boot. He'll take you wherever you want to go, but you have to tell him where you want him to take you. He WILL be there to pick you up on the agreed upon day, but you might not come back until he decides the water and weather are safe. His passengers safety is his #1 priority no question about it.

http://alaskan4starcharters.com/ for some information for you. If you give him a call, tell him Mike C. says "hi"
    Last edited by rdklinak; 09-23-2008 at 20:44. Reason: inappropriate language.... sorry!

Alright, this is EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!
    Do any of you know on of a larger boat that can haul 8 people and gear? I am trying to do this without spending $500+ per head. That or maybe someone around here has a boat large enough to haul me and 4 others out there? Come on, someone around here wouldnt mind making that journey and making some $$$ ontop of it!

Default Supply and Demand

You're talking about going into the Sound when the weather is terrible. Wether you fly or boat in, weather is going to be an issue. A lot of transporters don't feel like their time is well spent fighting the weather trying to drop you off and pick you up. So they charge a lot... if you're willing to pay they are willing to fight the weather. We used to go to Montague every year when the transportation was $400 a head. When he quite flying we quit going, because know it costs $800-$1000 a head.

I love hunting blacktails, but it is expensive. It's no secret that you are money ahead flying to the lower 48 and hunting deer there.

Good Luck,
    JB

I also have been to Montague four or five times and the most I ever spent was $375 for a plane ride out there. I have not been back since around 2001 and I expect I wont ever go back at $875 a head.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by powderhound View Post
    Come on, someone around here wouldnt mind making that journey and making some $$$ ontop of it!
    Just so you're aware, that would be illegal unless the person has a transporter's license. If you're splitting the costs of fuel, it is legal. If the captain is making a profit without being properly licensed, it's against the law.