Thread: Noob to flyfishing rig set-ups

Default Noob to flyfishing rig set-ups

Hi all,

I'm planning on trying flyfishing and have scoured the web for info. I still have questions though and was wondering if I may get some help?
    When surface fishing is a leader needed?
    Would the surface fly still float if attached to a leader?
    Or is the fly tied directly to the float line?
    What/when exactly is a tippet needed?
    Ugh, being a noob is hard especially when I don't know anyone in the area having just moved to Ak in late May.
    Anyways this is what I have so far:
    Lamiglass 9' #6 --- Okuma reel--- Scientific Angler flyfishing pack for trout/panfish WF-6-F.
    I figure if I don't like it not too much spent.
    Any help/info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Chuck

Many options,
    Here is one, find a guide locally and hire him for a day walk and fish. Tell him/her that this is the first time and you will have many questions. This will do a couple things for you:
    1- have you jusing a correct setup from the get go
    2- start you out with good technique
    3- put you on the water and fishing which is the point of all this.

Or you could stop by a fly shop and ask them. This may turn into a buying spree so leave the check book at home the first time.

Hope this helps,

George

In flyfishing the leader is a tapered length of mono (or a group knotted together in descending thicknesses) which uses decreasing weight and stiffness to turn the fly over gently on the cast. Most common length is 9'. You will have to learn to tie a nail knot to attach this. The tippet is the portion of the leader with the smallest diameter. As you change flies and the tippet section of your leader gets shorter you will eventually have to add some more tippet material to the end of the leader. A blood knot is common for this but any mono-mono knot will get the job done. Eventually your leader takes enough abuse that you'll cut it off and tie on a new one, usually sacrificing an inch or less of your fly line. Storebought leaders are numbered to show how strong they are and should have a rough guide written on the back to show what size fly they will turn over effectively. They make shorter leaders for bass-type fishing and longer ones for trout fishing. The store people can help you with this and show you a knot or two.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    Hi all,

I'm planning on trying flyfishing and have scoured the web for info. I still have questions though and was wondering if I may get some help?
    When surface fishing is a leader needed?
    Would the surface fly still float if attached to a leader?
    Or is the fly tied directly to the float line?
    What/when exactly is a tippet needed?
    Ugh, being a noob is hard especially when I don't know anyone in the area having just moved to Ak in late May.
    Anyways this is what I have so far:
    Lamiglass 9' #6 --- Okuma reel--- Scientific Angler flyfishing pack for trout/panfish WF-6-F.
    I figure if I don't like it not too much spent.
    Any help/info would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Chuck
    Honestly, I would go to your local fly shop with these questions. That way they can show you what you need instead of somebody trying to explain it to you online. Just let them know what kind of fish you are targeting. This is what I did when I first started and it helped a lot. Mountain View Sports and Sportsmans Warehouse can answer a lot of questions for you. There is also a good fly shop in Wasilla, but I can't remember the name.

I will say this, You will need tapered leaders, tippet and some way to connect your leaders to your fly line. I would suggest pre-made loops that fit on your fly line like Chinese Finger Cuffs as they are perfect for beginners. I would also suggest, buying a book on tying fly fishing knots. One last thing, most good fly fishermen will tell you that the most important piece of gear when fly fishing is a quality fly line (I prefer Cortland Precision). You can use what you have while learning, but once you upgrade you will realize the difference. I can sling a good fly line with a crappy rod better than I can sling a crappy fly line with a good rod (you seem to have a decent rod from your description). I have never owned a reel over $100 and have landed many a monster trout.

Beware, once you catch that first fish on a fly rod, it becomes a sickness... and an expensive one at that. Good luck.

Default 1st try today

Well, I gave it a shot at Mirror lake for an hour or so in the drizzle. Attached the 9' leader to the line with no tippet. After a dozen or so false practice casts, the leader twisted and snarled into an untieable knot with my fat fingers. Cut it and tied a leech directly on the float line. Did ok, but thought I'd try with a smaller leader. (Do leaders really need to be 9' long?
    Boy,I really need to figure out these knots, mine worked but they looked like h3ll)
    Cut a 4 foot chunk from the leader that snarled previously and rettached it to the float line and ended with another leech. Got a little better. Then caught the tree behind me, had more than a few line snarls, whipped the snot out of the water and the shore behind me. Sweet Jesus, I'm gonna get hurt I thought.
    Then a family walked up behind me watching me flail about and as I turned, a small fish tugged the the leech, I jerked as quick as I could but not paying attention it got off. Man, that was just about the biggest fish I ever saw.
    Anyways, I guess I'll head to sportsmans wearhouse tomorrow and maybe try to get some more practice in at the lake in the am.
    Bottom line, learn and practice knots, rig set-up, and practice some more. Thanks for the info guy's. If any of ya'll have any close up pics or know where they may be some that would be cool too.
    Thanks,
    Chuck

Thumbs up to newbie

Check this out for knots, it will help. Grogs knots.

http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfi...matedknots.com

the internet address above is all one. Sorry it wouldn't fit on one line.

You should take up golf instead. Its not as much fun, but it may be cheaper and less addictive. If you are married Good luck!!!! You may miss her.

When you start out, your first thought with each cast should be how to turn it over without making a knot out of it. No point in worrying about your presentation until then. As you practice you will surprise yourself by hooking a few fish. Then you'll try to remember what you were doing when it happened. Try to resist the urge to pick the line up and cast again just to get a couple more feet. You want the fly in the water, not in the air.

Default Day 2

B, thanks for the knot website. It's already bookmarked. It should help a bunch. I need the visual thing for learning, otherwise forget it.

So back to Mirror lake after dropping the kids off at school. I used the 4' leader from yesterday and attached a dry fly and then a leech to see If I could tell a difference and I did feel a small difference between the 2. Did better than yesterday I felt. Still whipped the water more than a few times but tried to watch the forward and back cast better and that helped. I need to remember the 10 and 2 times. No bites but the practice sure helped.

calebsb, thanks for the advice about wanting to cast and recast. There were only a few times when I thought the line landed nicely enough for a fish to bite.
    Question, if you do have a splashy cast, can you pull in some line slow to place the fly just short of the splash? I noticed that sometimes the float line itself caused quite the splash, do you recast?

Well, I'll try again tomorrow am and think I'll attach the 9' leader to practice with.

If you are using a 4' leader I can almost guarantee a splash. You can aim a foot or two above the water and let that stored energy discharge in the air. If you land with a splash just finish your retrieve and pick up for your next cast when the fly isn't where you're trying to fish. The pickup can be more spooky than the splash.

Default A bit Better

Been out a couple times to Mirror and Clunie and have changed the short leader with the 9' tapered. No tippet. Need to get some magnifying glasses or somethomething. Trying to tie the leader and tippet together is dang near impossible with my eyesight and fat fingers.
    Have caught some small trout which is certainly encouraging. I'd say enough to keep me at it. Sorta like the one great golf shot that keeps you going back.
    I'd like to get a good river for a chance to see if I can catch something larger.
    Any suggestions for north of Eagle River for good shore river fishing at this time? I have no boat so that's not an option.
    Thanks for any advice.

Lusak library in Anchorage has some good flyfishing videos
    NRA Lifetime Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
    Any suggestions for north of Eagle River for good shore river fishing at this time? I have no boat so that's not an option.
    Thanks for any advice.

You might try Willow creek. Start at the mouth and work your way up. There is a lot of area you can cover. Also a few places with plenty of room to cast.

Check out this website for lots of info.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/101/

Flyfishing seems more difficult at first than it is. Much like other things. Once you get the very basics down, you will have a great time. I just started about three years back and now I fly fish almost exclusively. Alaska, bass/bream in NC, stripers on Nantucket, false albacore in the Outer Banks of NC, you name it. You can fly fish for more species than you might think. Growing up, I thought it was just for old guys chasing 10" trout in the mountains. Thankfully, there is a lot more to it that that. Your 6 wt will surely get you started. As your interest grows, so will your rod collection. An 8 or 9 wt for salmon may makre a nice second rod for you. I would get a few books. One of my favorite for Alaska is "Topwater, Flyfishing Alaska" by Troy Leatherman (or similar name). You can order it from Amazon. Fantastic book. It has a chapter on all the major species in Alaska. Tells you all you could want to know about them. "Flyfisher's Guide to Alaska" by Scott Haugen is another must read. It has over 100 maps that tell you specifically where to go. Both of these books are for sale in the Forum Store as well. Get these two books and continue to read online. You will be in great shape before Spring.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.