Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eklutna?

Default Eklutna?

Does anyone have any history on Eklutna? Seems like it should be the perfect hunt. Close to town, Season runs late, any bull, ATV access at times. Does this hunt get alot of pressure. Are there any animals. I am looking for some info before I spend too many weekends up there. Seems like it should get overrun with people.

I could use any advice, warnings or suggestions.

Ruckus

Are you talking moose? Black bear?

Default Moose!

?Struck out general season and am still looking for moose meat. F&G said there are 2 of 4 taken already. Want to put my name on one.

Ruckus

Well i've been in there a bunch and would think that the moose hunting might be a little tough but what else is there to do. I'd go in on a Sunday with the wheeler and glass the other side of the lake or try the far end of the lake (Glacier end). I've never seen a moose in Eklutna but that doesn't mean anything as I have seen tracks. It's worth a shot if you ask me, if I didn't already have a Ft Rich permit i'd try Eklutna.

Default Low Percentage hunt

Last year 298 permits were issued, 188 people hunted, 0 moose killed. It's a low percentage hunt, but could get lucky and see a moose.

Default moose

Wow! Thats two moose since thursday. I registered for the hunt thursday afternoon, guy in office said no moose had been taken, yet. I used to live up there and saw moose, alot. Just wasn't up by lake. I know some years they've had to close it early, cause the limit was reached. Don't think that's happened in awhile. I better get on it and get out there before it's closed.

Default lots of bears

I have run into bears alot up there this year, and a few of the other folks that i know that frequent there say the same thing, maybe we should take some bears!!

I have hunted there the past three years, and haven't seen anything but lots of tracks. BUT i always hunted near the lake. Maybe those moose were taken on private property away from the lake? I'd like to know!

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by TBLOOMA View Post
    I have run into bears alot up there this year, and a few of the other folks that i know that frequent there say the same thing, maybe we should take some bears!!

I have hunted there the past three years, and haven't seen anything but lots of tracks. BUT i always hunted near the lake. Maybe those moose were taken on private property away from the lake? I'd like to know!

good luck!

What Bears are you talking about???????? Mountainside dropped 11 bears this summer and we still have another big one running around again.

****Big Note****

ATV's only Sunday thru Wednesday

Most common written ticket up there.

Unhappy Private Property

This year the road is very well posted for private lands from the highway to the park.
    Previous years have had lots of gray area.

Previously, I also noted that the campground closed around Labor day weekend, yet many folks could/would/did RV camp in the gravel parking lot near the ranger station. Now it's VERY clearly marked with NO RV, trailers, camping (tents on the grass).
    So, yet another restriction to watch out for. I didn't get to talk with a ranger to see if there are any exceptions.

Hunted that area for many years. Have yet to see a moose (of any flavor) during moose season at Eklutna.
    As others have stated, seen a few black bear.
    Usually see an odd Grouse, or in recent years some hare.

Someone else noted -- Sunday - Wednesday is for ATVs. The other days for non-motor traffic.

Just like anywhere else you can drive to... I'm sure the odds are better the further you get away from the roads and trails.

Oct 3, 2000 - 229 permits issued; 5 moose harvested, season closed
    Sep 21, 2001 - 102 permits issued; 3 moose harvested, season closed
    Sep 27, 2002 - 114 permits issued; 4 moose harvested, season closed
    Oct 2, 2003 - 167 permits issued; 5 moose harvested, season closed
    Oct 12, 2004 - 218 permits issued; 4 moose harvested, season closed
    2005 - I could not find an EO to close the season
    2006 - I could not find an EO to close the season
    2007 - I could not find an EO to close the season

Average 30% bulls to cows, according to a 2006 survey report.

Good luck!

Default More regs

Just talked to some of the rangers and there are even more regulations that F&G puts out on the one page of hunt conditions. You cannot shoot within one quarter mile from a developed facility.

Let me know if you come up with anything else as far as regs go. Remember to check the harvest before you go out.

Good luck,
    Ruckus

Thanks all for the info

I was up there looking for sheep and ended up walking several miles of the road back out before I could get a signal to call for a pickup. I saw 0 moose in the lake area, and 0 tracks. I saw numerous tracks on the shoulder of the road however. Given that off the cuff info I would guess that the vast majority of the moose are on private lands or at least state land with no access.

I went up there sunday before last. Figured everybody was heading up to the end, beyond the lake. So I climbed bold ridge trail at mile 5, no tracks, no crap not even old winter crap. Pretty much barren of any animals, funny to because it went up threw some pretty good habitat. I did see plenty of wierd lookin dudes jogging around dressed in spandex.

Default Spandex

You know I think we go about this all wrong. You hear about all of the trail hikers and runners seeing all of the wildlife. I bet if we walked around in bright spandex the moose and bears would almost come to us. We would not look so dangerous to the animals. Who knows.

I am headed up there this weekend to give it a look. The moose should really be rutting now. Still trying to put my name on one of those bulls.

Ruckus.

Talking Eklutna

I wa sup there last week and seen 7 moose 19 bear. I called 2 bulls into a hundred yardds only to have it spoiled by brown bear. I called another bear in that started to po its jaws at me. On the back side of the lake about 4 miles down and 1 t0 2 miles up the hill I did see a nice bull with 2 cows, he was arround 60 in class and had 5 and 6 brow tines. The moose are really call shy in Elutna after the 24 of sep. Good luck and good hunting

Default Still looking

I was up there last weekend. By looking at the parking lot I know why the moose are so call shy. Should say educated. Matter of fact I educated one myself. Got him into 50 yards but the trees never gave me a good shooting lane. All I saw were some antlers in the 35 to 45 inch range dancing above the spruce. Never got the shooting lane and the wind changed. Did meet a lot of nice people who were happy to show me likely places that hold moose. Close by not cigar.

Maybe next week if you all don't close it down by then.

Ruckus

Trying to put this permit to use, any tips nothing too secret, was there last weekend did not see anything however I was not on a ATV. Will try to go this week hopefully

Not sure how many are left on the permits. I went in to help a buddy with a sheep hunt on Friday and noticed a truck headed down with a nice moose in the back. Had a canoe on the rack of the truck. Must have got it over on the backside.

Default Still 2 left

Tuesday morning F&G say there are only two taken. The hunters have a bit of time to report, so maybe they have just not reported yet. I am not sure how much more I am going to get out but good luck to everyone.

Ruckus

Great place to practice your moose hunting without the killing part from the sounds of it.

No thanks, but interesting nonetheless.

Taylor

Hunted Eklutna with a buddy of mine from Sunday through Wednesday. Did not see a single moose. We did come across a track at the end of the lake in the flats area on Sunday. There was about an inch of snow there then. On Tuesday we came across a track at the head of the lake over near the spillway where those little "ponds" are at. The track went into the pond though, and the other side has some pretty serious thick woods and we were unable to pick it up. We called from that corner for awhile though and no moose came or called back. We did have a lynx come in.

On Tuesday there were 1-2 inches of snow at the head of the lake and about 8 at the end of the lake. We hiked all over at the end and didn't come across a single track. No signs, nothing.

A couple of sheep hunters were in there Monday and said if we wanted black bears we should head up Bold Ridge trail or scan the hillsides. They had seen several blackies (and brownies). While we were there though, the mountainsides were pretty well socked in with clouds.

Tough hunt but a great time.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast