Thread: 300wsm load

Default 300wsm load

I am new to reloading,
    Into it about a year now. I did a search on 300wsm to see how everyone is loading them I am using Accubond 180gr with 69gr. Of win780 supreme powder, win case and wlrm primers
    Col is 2.890, out of a
    Sako 75, holding just at an inch @ 100yds. Has anyone else used this load? When adjusting
    The seating depth do you start at the sugested col and work down? Any help would be great! Thanks....

Quote Originally Posted by Gotmudd View Post
    I am new to reloading,
    Into it about a year now. I did a search on 300wsm to see how everyone is loading them I am using Accubond 180gr with 69gr. Of win780 supreme powder, win case and wlrm primers
    Col is 2.890, out of a
    Sako 75, holding just at an inch @ 100yds. Has anyone else used this load? When adjusting
    The seating depth do you start at the sugested col and work down? Any help would be great! Thanks....
    You're doing ok. I don't like your choice of powder but I guess the bullets leave the barrel.

First you must determine at what Cartridge Over All Length (COAL) will the 180 Accubond contact the rifling in your rifle. If you are just using a dial caliper to measure and have no other aid such as the Stoney Point system, you'll need to do this. Just start a bullet into a sized ( no primer no powder) case only about .030" into the case, then hand feed it into the chamber and close the bolt. This will push the bullet into the case as it contacts the lands. Now pull it out and measure it. If the bullet sticks when extracted, just knock out with a cleaning rod and seat it a little deeper. When this works seat a new bullet to that "chamber depth" in the unprimed case and chamber it again. IF the rifling marks this bullet seat a few thousandths deeper and try again.

What you want to find is at what point in COAL does that bullet contact the rifling. Then write that data down in you notes with that bullet. This length may not fit the magazine. If not you'll have to adjust but now you will have the information you need. A good place to start for accuracy is about .020" off the rifling then move up then back .010" steps to determine best group.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I'm going through the process right now with my Sako 85 300 WSM. I just loaded up some 168 gr TTSX's and 180 E-Tips to do some load development. I loaded both bullets so they would just barely fit in the magazine, about .020 shorter than the box. They dont touch the lands and I'm guessing the ogive of the E-Tips is very similar to the AB's althogh the E-Tips may be a little narrower. So unless you're shooting single shot, your limiting factor will most likely be your mag box unless the 75's have a larger mag box than the 85's. Murphy probably knows.

I'm using H4350. A lot of 300 WSM shooters seem to like it. The max loads run about 100% or so of case capacity. It's a temp stable, consistant powder and seems to be fairly accurate. I haven't found my max load yet because of a couple of interuptions in the process... dead chrono battery and rain and sleet.

Let us know how it turns out.

I have loosely loaded an empty case chambered it to see the marks on the bullet, I colored the bullet with magic marker to see where it hits the lands. You are correct it will not fit in the magazine, also I could not extract the bullet out of the chamber because it was way to long and because the sako bolt uses a mechanical extractor. ? on the powder, the only reason I chose win 780 is because its whats used in their supreme ammo which shoots awesome out of my rifle, but costs $50.00 per 20 rds.
    This powder is a ball type which meters real easy, and has a lower chamber pressure I thought it might make the throat last longer. Any suggestions on other powder for 180gr bullet? Thanks for the advise.