Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DNR land for sale

Default DNR land for sale

Has anyone had any experience purchasing land over the counter from the dept of natural resources? How easy is it? Anything to watch out for? Looking to make a purchase, seems like a good way to do it for remote land. Thanks.

Default Easy but...

I've bought land from both the University of Alaska (check out their land website if you haven't already) and from DNR. Didn't have any problems with either. In fact, if i remember right you can use a credit card for the down payment.

Now some advice - look at the property before you buy it! I don't mean to offend you but I am constantly amazed at how many people I've helped find their land AFTER they bought it. Some weren't so excited after seeing it.

Go look. If you like it, buying over the counter is pretty easy.

Thanks a lot for the advice. It seemed easy, just wanted to make sure there weren't any hidden difficulties. I will also check out the U of A website.

The Mental Health Trust also has land sales. You can find their link on the State of Alaska website.

Default look before you buy

I bought some land from DNR, they also give a 25% discount if you or your wife spent any time in the service. The info that the DNR gives you on how to access the land is not very good or accurate. The land I bought according to the DNR has all season access, it is doable but sporting but you can't beat the prices for remote land. good luck

Thanks for all of your replies. In the application it says something to the effect that during the 3-4 months it takes to draw up the contract the state can cancel the application (refund deposit of course). Have you ever heard of this happening? Can this be avoided by paying it off in full in the beginning?

I think the only reason they would cancel your contract is if they discover there is not clear state title to the land, or if your deposit doesn't go through. The 3-4 month turnaround time gives them time to complete title work to make sure there is no federal, native or private interest that would interfere with conveyance of the property. I don't believe paying in full would help in this situation. I purchased land over the counter a few years back and although it took a while to receive the contract (6 months), it was well worth it for my little git away. I echo the advice to look first because the description of the land on the plats is often "optimistic" and as you know there are a lot of areas in Alaska that is land in name only.

Thanks everyone,
    How long does it usually take for them to process the application?

When should I recieve notice that is has been approved?

Do I recieve some sort of Title or other paperwork in the mail? About how long did that take?

Thanks for you help.
    Bobble

Default DNR purchase.

I purchased a parcel several years ago, and now would be a good time if you are going to finance it.They go prime plus 3%, so 7 percent now would be ok.If your a gambler, you can wait to see if the prime drops any further.GR

Default DNR financing

I just got mine to contract after a year of my initial CC down payment on line. My interest rate is 8% with nothing accrued during the year long wait so it was interest free for a year. Killer deal good luck finding that any where else.

it took 12 months?

I just bought some land OTC... I was told to expect a 4-6 month wait.

But i hope it is longer so I can collect my monies!

Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
    Thanks everyone,
    How long does it usually take for them to process the application?

When should I recieve notice that is has been approved?

Do I recieve some sort of Title or other paperwork in the mail? About how long did that take?

Thanks for you help.
    Bobble
    Took them slightly under 2 months (more like a month and a half actually) to get me my contract. Others have waited over a year. It's a toss of the coin really, as far as how quick you'll get the contract...but I don't think there's a better deal out there on land, especially with how getting a loan would be these days...good luck!

I've got a little experience up that alley. My wife and I have purchased 42 acres from the DNR and it looks real easy but it takes a while. We bought initially 20 some acres in Sept. 07, we bought the rest shortly there after. We did not receive the contracts until Aug/Sept 08. We have our parcel selected that we want to build on so we bought that one out right. They say that you cannot make any improvements on the land until your contract is approved. That took 12 months. THe guys at the DNR office in fbx were nice and helpful. They said that it doesn't matter and you can start working on the land. If I had to do it again I would not touch my land until the contract was set. There have been several instances where they have claimed that they have not received payment, and threats to take it back. Make sure that you keep your records well organized and available. Also, everytime you run in to town I recommend stopping into the DNR office with your paperwork to make sure all is going well. We have been on top of our payments religiously and it never fails that we receive a notice of default on payment. It then takes an extra trip to town or 45 minutes on the phone and they finally find the records. The rates are great and the land is incredible. I must say it is probably a lot easier than dealing with conventional banks but it is still a pain in the a$%. The folks at DNR mean well but I think that they are just overworked and for some overwhelmed with the business they have been getting with these land sales. My suggestion is that even though the interest rate is great I would plan on purchasing the parcels out right ASAP just to get the state off your back.

Also, I am not sure where you are looking, but think about access. The roads that are listed on the DNR maps most likely do not exist yet. It is apon the homeowner to build the roads.

Good luck with your purchase. I am very happy with mine and I am very happy that my wife is super anal with our records, otherwise this could be much worse.

Any other questions feel free to ask or PM

can you just buy the land outright so not to have a payment
    i looking into a small sized lot of land -x-5-arces sized
    does the land come with a water or do you have drill well
    i donot made if i have to make a small clear road for into the area for the cabin area

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    can you just buy the land outright so not to have a payment
    i looking into a small sized lot of land -x-5-arces sized
    does the land come with a water or do you have drill well
    i donot made if i have to make a small clear road for into the area for the cabin area
    If you have the money you can pay the full price at once.

You'll be responsible for getting a water supply in, well or otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I've got a little experience up that alley. My wife and I have purchased 42 acres from the DNR and it looks real easy but it takes a while. We bought initially 20 some acres in Sept. 07, we bought the rest shortly there after. We did not receive the contracts until Aug/Sept 08. We have our parcel selected that we want to build on so we bought that one out right. They say that you cannot make any improvements on the land until your contract is approved. That took 12 months. THe guys at the DNR office in fbx were nice and helpful. They said that it doesn't matter and you can start working on the land. If I had to do it again I would not touch my land until the contract was set. There have been several instances where they have claimed that they have not received payment, and threats to take it back. Make sure that you keep your records well organized and available. Also, everytime you run in to town I recommend stopping into the DNR office with your paperwork to make sure all is going well. We have been on top of our payments religiously and it never fails that we receive a notice of default on payment. It then takes an extra trip to town or 45 minutes on the phone and they finally find the records. The rates are great and the land is incredible. I must say it is probably a lot easier than dealing with conventional banks but it is still a pain in the a$%. The folks at DNR mean well but I think that they are just overworked and for some overwhelmed with the business they have been getting with these land sales. My suggestion is that even though the interest rate is great I would plan on purchasing the parcels out right ASAP just to get the state off your back.

Also, I am not sure where you are looking, but think about access. The roads that are listed on the DNR maps most likely do not exist yet. It is apon the homeowner to build the roads.

Good luck with your purchase. I am very happy with mine and I am very happy that my wife is super anal with our records, otherwise this could be much worse.

Any other questions feel free to ask or PM
    I had the same issue with mine on payments initially. I was paying by money order since I don't use credit cards or banks and got a notice of a late fee due. I got that all straightened out (I didn't actually owe any late fee) and ended up doing the payments online at the DNR website (been paying a relative the payment amount and having them use their card, works out fine), no issue since. They seem to be way overworked and understaffed or something. Mind if I ask where you bought land? You mention the Fairbanks office so it sounds like somewhere in the Interior like me...

If you can afford it I would highly recommend buying the land in one big chunk. That way you own it and don't have to worry about payments. Kinda like owning a truck, wouldn't you rather own the sucker than having to pay the bank $400 a month? It is also less of a headache. As mentioned before it took me a year to get my contract. THat was a year where I couldn't be building.

So as far as I read in these posts, DNR lets you make payments on a landsale? How would I go about that? I've been looking into DNR land for several years now, but you know how it is, never had that kinda chunk of money just laying around. Also, do you have to be a AK resident to purchase the land?

Default Land purchase...

Quote Originally Posted by beyerclan View Post
    So as far as I read in these posts, DNR lets you make payments on a landsale? How would I go about that? I've been looking into DNR land for several years now, but you know how it is, never had that kinda chunk of money just laying around. Also, do you have to be a AK resident to purchase the land?
    I have to say, the DNR has been great to deal with.I was just about ready to grab another hunk when the prime hit 3.35 when it was bought out from under me.They make it so easy.As far as being a resident, no you don't have to be.I'm from Wa State myself.As far as Vet discount, you have to be a resident to get the 25% land discount.Hope this helps.GR

So, should I contact DNR about it directly? How much down does it require? I've been periodically checking their webpage, but never read anything about a payment option. If you have any info or a webpage link available, please let me know. I realy appreciate any help on this. I'm from Idaho and plan on making a trip to AK in the spring to look around.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast