Thread: Moose 08'

Default Moose 08'

We left on Sept. 12th for eight fun filled days of moose camp.

Looks so different after going over a topo map for 4 months.

Even got a pic of my cabin from the air!

The next morning we wasted no time in finding the highest knoll in the area to glass from.

Had caribou right below us.

Day two we decided to do some hiking and also a little calling.We climb up what we later named the red hills and
    I no sooner get 3 bull grunts out when I have a bull answering me. I kept with the grunts and shortly after, we see the flash. A set of huge white antlers about 200 yards down hill from us. Half way up the hill the bull made short work on destroying a alder patch that seemed to be in his way. With the tall brush I only had a straight head on shot at 130 yards. The bull suddenly stopped and just starred at me still grunting. I look through my sights, took the safty off and waited for him to turn. When he did, there was a very small window thru the brush. As soon his shoulder passed thru it I squeezed the trigger. I hear the bullet hit solid and at the same time, before I pull away from the scope I see the bull roll and hit the ground. I look over at my partners and their faces say it all. After the hi fives and pats on the back we march on down to my big bull. We are guessing he was in the low 60's and I say guessing because after the hi fives, we look down just in time to see my bull dissappear into the think timber. We couldn't believe it. After rushing down the hill and searching where the bull fell I nervously start to look for blood. Couldn't find any. We got together and went to where the bull went into the timber and searched everywhere. We hung hats, tied ribbon to mark seached areas for 3 hours. Absolutly no sign of my bull. Talk about a let down. The only thing we could come up with is that I must have nailed him in the antler and knocked him down. Then when he came too he was on his feet and gone. The next few days were pretty slow. We decided to split up to cover more area and you guessed it, I picked the red hills in small hopes of running into my bull again. Seen lots of cows with no bulls and this one here actually followed me around for a while.

Bad pic but this little guy hung around camp for a few days.

On one moring we decided to hit the lake right at day light and motor around to see if we can spot something near the shore. We quietly sneak out of the cabin tip toe down to the small skiff and shove off. The lake was very shallow in this area so we paddle a 100 yards out before we can drop the motor. I start pulling away to get the thing started and suddenly my buddy points and says,"there's a big bull!". We look over to the cabin from where we just paddled from and there, fifty yards from the cabin is an even bigger bull then the one I had shot at. Before we could even think about getting back to shore, we watch as the bull runs, and runs, and runs out of site. Oh we went looking for him, calling and hoping but he was gone.The next day was the end of season. we were worn out from the hiking and the ups and downs from dealing with the two big bulls. We decided to call our pilot and ask if could pick us up a day early as we were throwing in the towel. He told us he would be there to pick us up around six that night. After packing, two of us decided to break out some books to kill the time before the plane got there. My other hunting buddy said he was going to go sit on the hill for the heck of it. Ten minutes after he left the cabin we hear his .338 ultra booming away. We rush up the hill to find my buddy with this nice 54"er!

I quickly call the pilot and tell him moose down and to keep with the plans of the next day pick up. The 200 yard pack out was one of easiest to date.

The long ride home was nice. Lots of time to go back over a great hunt.

Sure was nice coming home to these two little faces!!

Syracuse, New York, Wasilla, Alaska, United States

Default Dude...

The same thing happened to me this year. I called in a HUGE bull for a long ways. He got to 140 yards and turned for the shot. It was a no brainer. My buddy didn't even have his rifle in his hands. When I shot you could hear the smack of the bullet hitting him, but only found an antler tip. He was the largest moose I ever saw!!! Trust me a real heart breaker. Here's a pic of a smaller bull that came out of the same area and a sub legal I called in. There's always next year.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Congrats

You never give up is what I've learned. Had the same thing happen on my bear hunt. Lat morning heading for the take out. Sorry to hear the you lost your bull but it soound like a good trip all around, thanks for sharing.

Great story and picts Steve. Too bad about the 'biggin' that got away! I'd mess myself if that happened to me. Glad to see you guys got a moose anyway.

Tim

Throwing in the towel................that don't sound like you, Steve. Tsk, tsk..............hope your buddy got most of the meat........haha. True hunters never give up...........nyea, nyea!
    Felt the same way this year.................my partner got a bull too.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Smile

Great story Steve! Sorry to hear about the two that got away but at least one of you got one.

Brilliant pictures, cheers!