Thread: advise on a Jon boat

Default advise on a Jon boat

I'm thinking about gettinga G3 1652 Wof with a 35/50 jet. This will be my frist jon boat want to be able to go up and down the big Sue and yenta,and Deska and other rivers. Looking for advise and this is best place to get some.

A 16 foot is a small boat on a bigger river. That being said its easier to get it off a sandbar. The 50 hp prop will push a 16 foot very well and fuel economy should be great but if you make it a jet you will be disappointed if you overload the boat which is hard not to do considering all the fuel you will haul to use the jet. You need a 18 foot minimum and a bigger powerhead for a jet(90) hp ??You ask and I replied.

Opposite opinion. The G3 is a great boat partially because it's light. You're putting more motor on it than I would, but it'll scoot. I run a 50 powerhead factory jet on a considerably bigger jon boat than you're talking. It packs almost anything I can put in it. I run an 18' G3 with a 15 prop for the light work. It goes quite well. Most guys put too much power on the boat. Balance is more important than horsepower, especially with the price of gas these days.

All that said, I think an 18' boat is superior to a 16' boat 99% of the time. Maybe more. Longer is better. It'll require less power, too.

I'm with J-Frame. Weight adds up quick when you start putting more people or camping gear, or a load of meat in it. The 50 horse would be fine for a couple guys and camping gear, but if you put much more in it, you run out of room and power pretty quick.

Default My thoughts....

I have a 16ft lund with a 50/35 hp jet and center steer. It is a great boat as long as I only have my self and gear or maybe 2-3 guys with no gear other than rods. For the most part it is a great boat, however I choose that motor so I could run the Kenai. I would love a 70/45 on the back, not that the boat will go faster, but for the times when I haul a load it will do much better. Remember, with a prop boat one can change to a different prop if a better whole shot is needed, that is not possible with a jet. More power means faster to plane, if you ever find yourself on a skinny river with very few deep pools to get going, more hp is the ticket. The boat will do fine with the 50/35, I have been happy with mine, but since you did not list the Kenai why not go with a bigger motor? Roughneck makes a good boat that has a tunnel (16ft) that you can put a 115/80 on the back That would be fun!

A 50 hp power head with a jet unit is to small for a 16ft tunnel. Mine moved my old riveted flat bottom roughneck fully loaded just fine. The new roughneck tunnel and my motor will still moveout in the shallows. In deep water it will not get on step unless the load is only 2 people, 25 gal of gas, and minimal (40 lbs) of gear. The tunnel is way to big and takes away lift until you get into the shallows.
    The Durajet lower unit looks like the way to save weight, prop, and power. Power your boat to work well pig loaded in rough water. It is better to run 1/2 to 3/4 throttel and have the burst needed to get out of troubble when needed.
    A prop tunnel, and Durajet looks like the best of both worlds.

I have a 16' boat with a 50hp jet and it is way too easy to overload it and then it won't run the shallow water good. I would recommend an 18' with a 90 powerhead 65 jet for a much better all around boat.
    I don't think the durajet would work as it needs 14 to 19" of water to run in. That's probably why I've never seen one up here.

I have the G3 1860WOF with 90/65hp. The engine is too heavy for the boat. The manufacturer and the shop came to this conclusion after about two weeks worth of changing the rigging. It runs now, but that is with MASSIVE trim tabs on it. It was faster with out the tabs, but it would porpoise out of control. I still think the 18 is better than the 16, but power will be a problem until they (Yamaha) figure out what the boat can tolerate. Good luck.

Default g-3 wof

Is your 1860 a "tunnel". I heard those in the mod year2006, I think it is, had the porposing problem.

I have an 1860 with the 90/65 and have had no problems. Not a tunnel style. The motor is heavy and since I frequently run alone, I put Bennet trim tabs to get on step very quickly and can run at slow speeds on plane.

Yes it is a tunnel. They are a must, in my mind, where I run.

Default 16' is fine

I have been running the big sue for years with anything from a 14' to 24'. Bigger is always better but for the upper Deshka, and Little Sue that is not true. That said, be it a 16' or a 18', put the largest engine you can safely put on it and or afford. You'll never look back. Personally on a G3 hull, I would go with 18' and a 90/65 Yamaha (115/80 if it'll fit). (You can always back off the throttle, but you can't add any past full throttle .)

I currently am running a 20' old army ponton boat with 115/80 jet, been in the all the rivers you mention and have gone 24 miles up the Deshka with it. It'll will take anything I can put in it and I burn about 5 or 6 GPH.

Good luck in your choice.

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tzieli22 View Post
    I have been running the big sue for years with anything from a 14' to 24'. Bigger is always better but for the upper Deshka, and Little Sue that is not true. That said, be it a 16' or a 18', put the largest engine you can safely put on it and or afford. You'll never look back. Personally on a G3 hull, I would go with 18' and a 90/65 Yamaha (115/80 if it'll fit). (You can always back off the throttle, but you can't add any past full throttle .)

I currently am running a 20' old army ponton boat with 115/80 jet, been in the all the rivers you mention and have gone 24 miles up the Deshka with it. It'll will take anything I can put in it and I burn about 5 or 6 GPH.

Good luck in your choice.

Tony
    I think I will go with the 90/65 and go from there I have tell spring to make up my mind.