Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DM799 Cow hunt

Default DM799 Cow hunt

Does anyone have any info on the cow hunt DM799. I am planning on taking my son up for his first moose hunt. I have never been up around Delta so I don't really know what to expect. Planning on going later part of October. I would appreciate any information and or advice. Thanks in advance.

This area is 99% private property. If I were you I would check with ADF&G and get a copy of the buffalo hunter map and property owners list. Then I would hit the phone lines in Delta. There are a bunch of cows in these fields, but most farmers dont allow moose hunting. A few do, and generally the early bird gets the worm on those places. Good luck.

Default Cow Moose

They have dessimated the population from last years hunt.
    Good Luck finding one without a calf that's legal.
    Be careful calfs hang out in the thick stuff. Make sure your legal.
    You'll be one of many hunters looking for a cow.

Went to check out that area on Saturday. Spot on with the private property and the thick cover. Gonna be a hard hunt, some farmers have lots of land that is not posted. I grew up hunting in the lower 48 and you cant get busted if your on land that is not posted, how true is that in alaska?

Quote Originally Posted by bowtechshooter View Post
    Went to check out that area on Saturday. Spot on with the private property and the thick cover. Gonna be a hard hunt, some farmers have lots of land that is not posted. I grew up hunting in the lower 48 and you cant get busted if your on land that is not posted, how true is that in alaska?
    I'm pretty sure private land does not need to be posted in order for trespassing laws to apply in this state (but I could be wrong). Just to be safe and out of respect for the landowner, it's best to ask permission regardless of whether it's posted or not.

Default sorry, you are wrong

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    I'm pretty sure private land does not need to be posted in order for trespassing laws to apply in this state (but I could be wrong). Just to be safe and out of respect for the landowner, it's best to ask permission regardless of whether it's posted or not.
    Here is a report that covers all the bases.

http://homernews.com/stories/082907/news_1a_004.shtml

What the Middletons got that morning was a quick lesson in law. Specifically, Alaska Statute 11.46.300-350. It states that a person who does not intend to commit a crime, "enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders" can do so unless:
    * A notice of trespass is personally communicated to that person by the owner or an authorized person; or
    * A notice against trespass is given by posting in a reasonably conspicuous manner under the circumstances.
    The law specifies the posting be:
    * Printed legibly in English;
    * At least 144 square inches in size;
    * Contain the name and address of the person under whose authority the property is posted, as well as the name and address of the person authorized to grant permission to enter the property;
    * Placed at each roadway and point of access onto the property that is known to the landowner;
    * In the case of an island, placed along the perimeter of the island; and
    * Clear about any prohibitions the posting is directed against, such as "no trespassing," "no hunting," or "no fishing."

Default 799

Reiterate lots of private land. Try calling to see who will let you hunt their land. There is NO shortage of cows in the 799 area. Don't be fooled. I was just through part of it last week and saw plenty of them around.

Default 799

Out of respect for the landowners I will contact some of them. Would you suggest the use of a 4 wheeler or just a truck. Is the area relatively accessible?

I flew around the area north of the Panoramic fields a couple of years ago in October and was shocked at the number of cows I saw. I would try to hunt that area if it is in your permit area. Mostly public land south of the Alaska Hwy.

Default 799

is north of the highway, so it is mostly private land. 798 is south of the highway by the panoramic's.

That makes sense. From what I've seen in that area a cow moose hunt should be about a 100% success rate.

Quote Originally Posted by northway View Post
    is north of the highway, so it is mostly private land. 798 is south of the highway by the panoramic's.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Here is a report that covers all the bases.

http://homernews.com/stories/082907/news_1a_004.shtml
    Not the first and won't be the last for me to be wrong Thanks for providing the info!

Default Panoramic fields

How does a person get to the panoramic fields? Is it accessible by vehicle.
    My son has a permit for DM 798 and it would be great for him to get his first moose.
    Thanks
    Jeff

Thanks for the great research on posted land Lujon. Im not saying that I would just walk on some real estate if I had any thought that it may be someones property but like in the lower 48 while hunting you cross so many other peoples property and before you know it you have someone yelling at you to get off their land or your confronted by a game warden. Thanks again for the information. very informative....

Quote Originally Posted by jws View Post
    How does a person get to the panoramic fields? Is it accessible by vehicle.
    My son has a permit for DM 798 and it would be great for him to get his first moose.
    Thanks
    Jeff
    I do not believe you can hunt the Panoramic fields with a DM798 its posted at every entrance. Try the ruffed grouse habitat area or the Gerstle military land.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default I know last year..

the bison ranges were off limits, so if that is what the Panoramic's represent, than you would not be able to hunt them.

Default regarding the article

I went to the Anchorage ADFG office on C and Raspberry. I asked specifically for land use maps - they told me to look in the internet at their website as they have no maps.

The hour I took off of work to go see them and try to get some usefull information was a waste of my time. I was very dissapointed.

Unhappy Dissapointed with posts

I live here in Delta and do own land,
    1st off I am disappointed with reading that a number of hunters would have the audasity to show up in Delta with the belief that they would just hunt private land without asking even if its not posted.. you will be hunting in a rural farming community. respect the land owners and knock on the door.
    2nd. I cant believe folks would put in for a hunt and not understand what they are asking for.. its like some of you are shocked to realize your gonna be hunting in predominatley private property.. do some research next time.
    3rd. The moose population is high here, but the hunt is far from guarenteed. remember everyone that has a tag will be pushing those cows just like we push the bulls during the normal season, so dont come up here thinking your 100% guarenteed a moose..
    4th realize that the cow hunt in Delta is not on everyones great idea list up here.. there a more than a few that dont agree with the hunt, so while hunting please respect land owners property and dont give us hunters a bad name.
    Good luck to those that drew a tag.

Hunt safe.

Dave

Default Good post

Nice post Dave and spot on.
    Safe hunting to all.

Default well said Dave

Thanks for the post Dave. That sums it up well. I was shocked last year to see so many people put in for it, yet had no clue how to hunt it or realized that most of this area was people's back yards.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast