Thread: Barney's Sports Chalet

Default Barney's Sports Chalet

Anyone know when they're going to finish updating their website? Are they waiting until after hunting season?

Just curious. It's been a while now.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

Smile

The million dollar question Romo. It's hard to believe he pulled the plug on his old site with nothing to replace it ASAP. Lame.

My guess is it will be sometime after the first of the year.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Default Changeover must be a pretty big deal...

Romo,

Not sure if you live in the Anchorage area or not. The website being down has been frustrating for out-of-area hunters, and others. I offer my perspective, but have no connection with the business. Just happened to be in the store often this year preparing for my first hunt. Browsing their inventory is going to be tough til the website is up, but call them if you have any particular questions. They've been in business here a long time.

Bob Hodson's business, Barney's, though excellent is small. In spite of their long success, a small business; small building and from what I see, small staff.

Months ago, Bob's Mom, minding the shop, described overwhelming web interest, including international orders for gear- so they shut the website down. I don't have any idea how overwhelmed, but it sounded like there was far more interest, and potentially lots more business, for Barney's if they could develop the capacity to handle it; logistics, inventory, cash registers - a big overhaul like the system Home Depot might use, is what I pictured. Sounded like a large hardware/software/support expense to me. Probably not easy for them from them and I imagine they'll be careful to get it done the right way.

Some additional info/comments in another thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=38207

How'd your hunt out of Galena go BTW?

Best wishes,

6X

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    How'd your hunt out of Galena go BTW?
    I didn't hunt Alaska this year but my buddy did and had his trip cut short due to a death in the family. I spoke with him today and he was up to his elbows in moose and ranged a mid-60 bull at 57 yards 2 hours before he was scheduled to be picked up so he couldn't pull the trigger. Bummer! But, travel and funeral arrangements had already been made and dictated the situation.
    "The days a man spends fishing or spends hunting should not be deducted from the time he's on earth. " Theodore Roosevelt

I was in a couple days ago and asked the same question. The elderly lady said it they would be working on the website after the first of the year. I went in looking for a Brooks Range jacket, but was surprised to see the Integral Designs label on it. Apprears to be the Dolomitti jacket rebadged for Barney's. Maybe you could clarify that Alasken as I think you have worked there in the past.

Wyatt

Default Brooks Range

It is. Bob said he designed the jacket and they produce it. Don't know to what extent it is his design and how long ago that was?
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Out of courosity, having seen their store (and shopped there) what is so significant about the website? Their store, from what I saw, is pretty small...

Default out of towners

I think that they have great gear and the site if for us out of towners.

Well though I agree that they should have a website so that Alaskans from other parts of the state besides Anchorage can know what they sell, I did recently place and order with Bob and it was at my house in Fairbanks in less than 4 days. They are good people, I just believe that at minimum they should have a website similar to what they used to have. They dont have to go Campmor on us, but they do come out with or carry new gear pretty regularly and it would be nice to know if they have it and how much it costs without burning up long distance phone calls or waisting folks time answering phones if they dont have to. They recently changed the Barneys pack straps from black to brown, didn't know that till the pack got here, its little stuff like that.

Default similar but different

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I was in a couple days ago and asked the same question. The elderly lady said it they would be working on the website after the first of the year. I went in looking for a Brooks Range jacket, but was surprised to see the Integral Designs label on it. Apprears to be the Dolomitti jacket rebadged for Barney's. Maybe you could clarify that Alasken as I think you have worked there in the past.

Wyatt
    The Brooks Range jacket and Pant are built by Integral Designs. The jacket is based on the Dolomitti with a few minor changes. Bob gives his input based on his experience and such... I believe the material he selected for the elbow, shoulder, seat and knee is a more durable material than that of the Dolomitti. They build it - he names it... From what I've heard it's a good relationship.

As for the jacket and pant... The lightest, warmest most compressable set up I've ever owned.

I believe Bob was working with a company that would build a web site that was by far more comprehensive than just "here we are, here is what we do." The technology is pretty amazing... I know his building is fairly small but I believe he will do well with an all encompassing web site. Why it's taking so long....??? Who knows...

Default Not if hurry means sloppy...

Barney's has a great reputation. It doesn't matter what I think but I suppose they'll try to do the website right, like everything else they've done. And getting it right might be tougher than I can imagine.

This summer, I had 2 opposite experiences with other website ordering. Both are great companies with durable, field-tested gear.

05Aug: 4 weeks before our September hunt, I ordered a last minute item (GPS) from REI, with expedited shipping.
    15Aug: I received an email informing me the item was no longer available. That's it.
    15Aug: I ordered the GPS from Cabelas, expedited shipping.
    20Aug: Item delivered.

REI reported 2007 revenues of $1.34B and Cabelas, $2.3B in 2007. Not small potatoes. Yet, one uses an order/inventory system that tells us whether the item is in stock right away. The other company lets you find out 10-days later. Better for Barney's to get it right maybe.

Wink Website

I was in and talked with Bob today. They are making steady progress and trying to implement some features that will allow for better tracking of inventory.

I am of the impression that he wants it done once and done right.

Cheers,

Matt M

Default Hey, Romo...

I was in Barneys the other day and talked to Bob, he just left this past weekend to do the shows down south (SCI, Sheepshow,SFW and Dallas Safari Club,and etc.), he won't be back for a while. Prolly, catch him later this early Spring.....Chuck