Thread: Birds?

Default Birds?

Anyone, busting birds with their bows, yet? If so, would love to see some pics. I have had 4 opportunties and missed 4 times, each time right over the back by inches. I can't wait to hit a few. Love hunting them with the bow. Anyone else?

Bigbear,
    None with bow none with gun, having a hard time finding any birds in AK at all. Have hunted birds for a long time and have never had this hard of a time finding them. Found one spruce hen in Hatchers Pass this weekend. Any insight as to where to find some ptarmigan would be greatly appreciated.

Not the easiest birds to find (ptarmigan), but grab a topo map of Chucagh State Park, and hike up valley drainages that have willows. Have take several this season and they are tucked in the knee high brush and willows. The new snow is pushing them down more now. The other day they were almost 2/3 white and the top still brown. Hike up to a "good" area and just listen. If you have a dog of course that helps, but i don't. I just walk through brush if I hear them until i flush them. They can walk pretty **** fast under the brush. I have found them at the very upper aspects of drainages, well above treeline. good luck out there

Default birds

went up to the denali hwy. and spooked up a flock of about 20-30 ptarmigan at mile point 28.5 coming from paxson, and found a couple of grouse on side roads, but forgot the 22. so had to watch them all fly away.

Smile Birds

I managed to get 5 ruffed grouse and a spruce hen last friday morning in the fairbanks area. Lots of fun.

Ron

Default Pics?

Anyone with pics? Please, post if so, thanks.

Default few ruffies

Got these two Monday night. Nice evening for a hunt.
    Attached Images Attached Images