Thread: Ka-Bar Kukri Machete

Default Ka-Bar Kukri Machete

Here's a link to the product: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=113362

My wife and I drew DG719 this year and went down there for the last week of the season. The hunt was a bust and we never even saw a goat, but the machetes we took were the bomb. We had to do a lot of brush busting to get above tree line and these were just the ticket.

Before the hunt we spent a couple of days scouting the area and realized we needed somthing to cut through the under brush. I looked at several types of machetes and got pretty disappointed. What looked like a traditional machete was usually too flimsy and deflected on larger limbs. The longer machetes allowed for more blade speed, but less than accurate swings would place limbs in danger.

After a lot of Googling, I finally came across a site dedicated to knife fanatics. The kukri had a cult-like following. Apparently, the original kukri was designed to remove heads and limbs from opposing forces during wars in some countries in Asia. Given that it could remove an arm, I figured willow and alder brush didn't stand a chance.

We used the Ka-bar Kukri to take out under brush up to two inches thick easily. Usually it only took one swing, but sometimes the stubborn ones would require a couple. I discovered the trick was to grab the branch with one hand, bend it slightly, and then whack it with the machete in order to get one swing removal.

The machete also worked well for clearing camp sites, gathering fire wood, and would have been used for butchering if we could have scored. I would recommend this product to anyone who does a lot of hunting in the thick stuff.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Have you found it available locally? I may give it a shot, I have a cheapo one but actually use a gerber saw for most of my brush busting mainly because it is extremely light and cuts pretty quickly. If I can get a Ka-Bar before Thursday then I will take it back up the mountain with me. We keep seeing bears up high but man the work you have to put in to get up to them!! The alders are impenetrable between 1500'-2400' that is alot of sawing! I do like the little saw but honestly there is no saw in the world that will give you the satisfaction that hacking a 4' wide path through a field of devils club does, I hate that stuff and it is over 10' high in some of the shaded boggy draws where I hunt. I don't know how it was where you went but I have seen devils club so old that it is actually a 6" bark covered tree at the base.

You might want to try one of the Gerber/Fisker brush cutters. Sportsman's usually carries them and it's the best $40 I've spent on cutting implement.

It cuts like a much heavier tool than it is. Keep it sharp and keep swinging and you'll make short order of under brush.

The Woodsmans Pal also works well.

http://www.woodmanspal.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lujon, I couldn't find it locally in Fairbanks. You might be able to find it in Anchorage.

I actually looked for the Gerber one, but couldn't find that locally either. If I had found it I would have bought it and not done any of the research that led to the Ka-bar. Comparing the Ka-bar and the Gerber, I like the grip on the Ka-bar better; it just looks like it could slip out of my hand if my hands got wet or tired. I also looked at the Woodsman's Pal, but didn't like the handling of it; it just didn't feel as comfortable in my hand.

The devil's club we ran into was about two inches thick, but cut very easily. I still got scratched up a bit, but my wife (who was behind me the whole time only cleaning up stray branches) walked away untouched.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

I wrapped hockey tape around the grip of my gerber chopper, it doesn't slip. I got mine at the Sportsman's warehouse, I guess they sell out quickly as several folks I know have looked for them and they are out of stock.

I'm thinking I should pick up a couple more, leave one on the boat and one in the truck.

I looked all over for a ka-bar but only found the cheap cold steel locally. I ended up getting a woodsmans pal. I got the cheaper long handled (still $70) versions at Chimo's in Wasilla. So far it is light years ahead of any other similar tools I have used. I will likely still order a Ka-Bar at some point but this will get the job done and I was able to take it home before the weekend!
    So far I have been able to hack through 2+ inch cotton wood saplings with 1 hard stroke. It is also very easy to chop through larger branches with just a few swings.

If you don't mind buying over the 'net, Knife Center is selling them for $45.