Thread: Well I missed my Moose!

Default Well I missed my Moose!

On Friday, I went stomping around with the 58 cal. I was sneeking through a patch of grass when I heard a twig snap. I was thinking "any minute Dave will pop out", Dave is my hunting partner who I had been running into all day.

But No! A cow walks across in front of me. I Freeze. Then another moose, is right behind her, I look with the binoculars and confirm a bright red fork.

The bull takes a couple of more steps. His head behind a tree but his shoulder in plain view. No time for a range check. He looks close enough though. I put the iron sights square on his shoulder and pull the trigger. Boom! Smoke and sparks fly out and the moose lunge ito the thick stuff.

I quietly reload and wait a few minutes. I begin walking towards the area they were at. I hear sticks pop again, there I see the cow on a little knoll looking at me. I scan the ground looking for the bull then I see him come up and stand below the cow, apparantly un-harmed. They are both looking at me standing broadside.

I sit down, lean against a tree, cock the gun and set the sights right on his hump. Boom! They charge off again.

I didnt hear a bullet whack, but I cant believe that I missed him. I reload. And wait again.

I go up to where he was standing. I dont see any signs of a hit, no hair, blood, nothing.

That time I paced it off as best as I could and im sure he was within a 100 yards, My rifle hits dead on at 70. I spent the rest of the morning looking for him, Came back that afternoon with Dave and looked. Looked the next morning too.

All I can think of was maybe I hit a twig the second shot. My first shot sounded funny when it went off. It sounded like that one time the night before when I was practicing and that shot was 4 inches low and a couple to the right. So I think My first shot had bum powder in it.

Anyway, that was a breaker. I really needed that moose. Needless to say, I came back the next day with the 300 win mag.

Ill try again next year!

Aargh!!!!!

The "charging off" after the first shot made me think you hit him. But not the standing on a knoll bit. If you were holding on the hump for the second shot, there's always the chance that you shot over him--- My guns all shoot high from a rest, compared to where they hit offhand, unless I rest my forehand rather than the gun. Was your rifle resting directly on the tree? Food for thought.

Sorry for the bad luck, whatever the explanation. That 58 cal should have given you plenty of sign of a hit, almost certainly penetrating completely on broadside shots. But sounds like you were down to looking for molecules and still didn't find any.

BTW- What kind of powder were you using that gave the "off" sound? I get what sounds like almost slow ignition using any sub powder in my 58 that has a drum bolster rather than a hooked breech like my second 58. It's better with a musket cap, but still not good. I shoot real black in it (3f) now and it gives instantaneous ignition, even with regular #11 caps. The hooked breech gun gives instantaneous bangs with anything I pour down it.

Do I recall that your 58 is a CVA? They have the drum bolsters I'm talking about.

I was shooting 100 grains of Goex 2F, musket cap ignition, pushing a Patched round ball. My gun is a T/C big Boar.

I was resting the gun on my knees. I was just leaning against a tree.

I shot the gun back at my cabin (offhand) at 90 yards. The ball hit at the right elevation but a few inches to the right.

In that thick cover, Im sure I must have pulled the shot or who knows and it hit a twig and sent it wild.

It was a real wet day out. I had that charge in there from the day before too. But the second time I shot it sounded real good.

Also I saw some red colored streaks at the muzzle after I shot the first time. I dont have the foggiest idea what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I was shooting 100 grains of Goex 2F, musket cap ignition, pushing a Patched round ball. My gun is a T/C big Boar.

I was resting the gun on my knees. I was just leaning against a tree.

I shot the gun back at my cabin (offhand) at 90 yards. The ball hit at the right elevation but a few inches to the right.

In that thick cover, Im sure I must have pulled the shot or who knows and it hit a twig and sent it wild.

It was a real wet day out. I had that charge in there from the day before too. But the second time I shot it sounded real good.

Also I saw some red colored streaks at the muzzle after I shot the first time. I dont have the foggiest idea what that means.
    Hmmmph. Sounds like you had everything going for you. Nuff to make you nuts!

The red streaks were on the first firing? May have been slow ignition after all, but I'd only think that if moisture had gotten to the powder somehow.

You'll be replaying this one your head for a long time. At least till next season, anyway!

Yeah the red was from the first firing. I think what might have happened was I loaded the gun outside of course, carried it around, then, brought it into the cabin overnight. Ive heard that is a no no because condesation can form in your barrel.

Well, Ill probably try again during that antlerless hunt up in healy. Also I heard remander 14c is open till the 30th. So It may not be over yet.

Who knows, might have had moose fever too. But, your right, its hard to shake a miss from your mind!

Bummer Matt, that miss is a lot harder to take than a running hare with that side by side 12 gauge.... But hey, don't feel bad, everyone misses at one time or another. I still remember the mule deer I missed with my flintlock. It's almost embarrassing to tell you how close she was, but I probably could have spit on her....

Reminds me of a nice buck last fall. It was just standing there broadside, plain as day. Ranged it at 94 yards. I got a nice rest and squeezed off the shot with perfectly steady sights. And shot right over him.

You have to realize that this was all done while my hunting pardner was standing beside me, the same hunting pard I'd been at the range with the day before. He was really impressed with the 2-3" groups I was getting then.

I went to flapping my elbows through a reload, and the deer slowly turned and showed me his other side. Just as the ramrod hit bottom seating the ball, he took two steps and was out of sight.

We finally figured out the problem was that he was straight downhill from us at about a 45 degree angle. It didn't occur to me to hold low for the shot.

That buck wasn't a record book specimen, but I'm still seeing it in my sleep now and then.

Course my buddy isn't giving me much chance to forget it either!

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    Bummer Matt, that miss is a lot harder to take than a running hare with that side by side 12 gauge.... But hey, don't feel bad, everyone misses at one time or another. I still remember the mule deer I missed with my flintlock. It's almost embarrassing to tell you how close she was, but I probably could have spit on her....

Yeah, a missed shot at tasty fork moose is hard to shrug.

Been replaying it over and stewing about it.

My first shot I bet went wild from whatever was wrong with the charge. His shoulder was just visable between two trees and I probably hit one of them.

Second shot I bet I shot over it like you said brownbear. I was holding right on his hump thinking the ball was gonna drop at that distance big time. And after shooting the gun again at that approximate distance the ball doesnt drop from my 70 yard sight in.

Lessons Learned, 1. Use your 200 dollar range finder you have in your pocket! I didnt get it thinking I didnt have time or it would make to much comotion fishing it out.
    2. Familiarize your self Alot with your load at different ranges. I remember thinking in my head that I had read lots about how those big balls drop like rocks when I took my shot. I thought man He looks within 100 but I better aim high just in case. I had become pretty familiar with shooting the conicals out of the gun, but not the round balls. I dont really know why I reached for the round balls other than I wanted to see how they worked on Moose. And I knew that My gun shot them really good the few times I had shot them. They are even more accurate than the conicals wich I had been shooting for black bears.