Thread: Can an Argo cross the Tanana?

Default Can an Argo cross the Tanana?

Has anyone crossed the Tanana near Salcha in an Argo with an outboard attached? It looks like one could get into one of the slower moving braids and get moving then head out to cross the main channel.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Not recommended

I have never taken an Argo across a river, but I do know that they stress taking them in STILL WATER, like a small lake. I personally would recommend that suggestion be adhered to. The problem is that they are not a "hulled" water vehicle and can ship water pretty easily in any kind of turbulence. I do like them for an all around off-road vehicle, especially in mushy places. Others more experienced might have a stronger opinion on this.

My 6x6 floats as well in still water but the tires try to get to the surface causing the rest of the machine to be underwater. Better be in fairly slow water and well balanced load before you try it, don't forget your PFD and I don't mean permenant fund.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I know a guy that has done it a couple times. He drug some mighty large bulls out doing it too. I think he gave it up after nearly losing his rig. He was a coworker of my fathers back in the day, I am trying to remember the whole story cause it seems like he had fabed up some kind of small outboard rig just for the crossing. I wouldn't do it...

Mark

I have been swept downstream in flowing water in my Argo three times, once about 100 yards in the Oshetna River, once about the same distance in Caribou Creek, and once about the same distance in the Copper River. In all the above cases, I was lucky to have escaped unscathed.

And Argos can "sink".

See photo below (and that was very still water.......................)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default my friend

owned argos from day one and yes they sink! I know he always strung a rope across whatever he needed to cross after sinking a couple of times. If the current gets you, you are in trouble for sure. Be careful and safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I have been swept downstream in flowing water in my Argo three times, once about 100 yards in the Oshetna River, once about the same distance in Caribou Creek, and once about the same distance in the Copper River. In all the above cases, I was lucky to have escaped unscathed.

And Argos can "sink".

Looks like you should of backed in first , If I come to a deep quick drop off I always back in and then spin around as the rear is lighter. As far as the Tanana ,I have done and tried some stupid things ,But that I would never try "FAST" flowing water
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

My goodness, someone has a death wish. Or is just flat nuts. I would take an Argo across a river only if it was frozen solid and 6' foot of ice. In moving water, not on your life.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    Originally Posted by Mark
    ......And Argos can "sink".

Looks like you should of backed in first , If I come to a deep quick drop off I always back in and then spin around as the rear is lighter.....
    It was definately a steep drop off. I didn't actually go in where the photo was taken, but off to the left about 50' or so. It was one of those "guts" that are about 4' wide and 6' deep.

When I went over it in the morning it was froze. When I came back across it in the late afternoon the now thinner ice broke, the Argo nosed in steeply, and she took water in the cooling vents. It was over within 15 seconds, with my winch under 6' of water, and with me up to my neck in the water.

Already wet, I maneuvered the thing to where you can see it in the photo, grabbed my rifle and daybag, and started marching. It was 3 miles out; about an hour hike. It was April. I got to my truck just before it started to get dark. I had the camper on the back of the truck with dry clothes in it.

I went home to get a come-along, oil, tools, etc. When I arrived home the wife asked where "her" Argo was, and when I told her I sunk it, she frantically asked if I was going back to get it "tonite". I simply said, "yes, dear".

I slept in the camper that night at the trailhead.

I had the Argo on the trailer by 4 PM the next afternoon. It would have been quicker, but I kept putting the carburetor back together inproperly...........

It would have been quicker, but I kept putting the carburetor back together inproperly...........

That will get you every time .

Default Rear Winch

I don't have an argo but do have an atv with tracks. Now mine can't float in water like yours but can go in deep snow, mud, and on top of muskeg...
    Anyways I have had similar situations with my machine..where it nosed dived...falling through the ice or in a deep mud/water hole
    The front end goes down but the rear is partialy on the ground/ice etc. I put a rear winch on my machine so I could be pulled out backwards from those situations...any of you argo owners thought of doing that or have done that

Quote Originally Posted by polaristracker View Post
    ...any of you argo owners thought of doing that or have done that
    You mean like this ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Yes....

Smart man...did you do yourself, or did it come purchased?? Has it gotten you out of some binds??

Has it gotten you out of some binds??
    An Argo in a bind ,You make me laugh. I got tired of turning around to use the front winch to pull out wheelers. I had that so I could just sit cozy in the heated cab with my shorts and flip flops on while the wheeler guys got muddy ,cold and wet .....

Default Argo in a bind

And Argos can "sink".

I think that would qualify as a bind
    LOL

Mark

And Argos can "sink".

I think that would qualify as a bind
    LOL
    Can't blame the Argo for what the stupid operator did............

I have to ask - have you been on the river in that area - or are you been looking at maps, google earth, etc?

In theory there could be a place you can work your way across from braid to braid (and I'm no expert so maybe it's even likely) but the general nature of the river in that area make me agree with the deathwish comment! (specifically because of the logjams and serious direction and current changes)

of course anything is possible and it's probably much more reasonable on lower parts of the river where it's just water from bank to bank. I've seen it done on the yentna but only pretty straight stretches with good banks on both sides and nothing but water or a run of the mill sandbar in between - no log jams, no major eddies etc. And it was still not without pucker moments.

If you haven't seen the river out where you're talking about, take a weekend during the summer and camp at the boat launch at salcha - talk to people putting in...my guess is you'll eventually find someone going that way that wouldn't mind taking you out for a quick look - my guess is you would not think of crossing it in the argo after seeing the logjams and the icredible power of that river. Plenty of places that would be disaster in a river boat if you lost power...the argo is handicapped pretty severely right from the start.

be safe!

Default Hey Mark

Nice excuse man "not" LOL

Mark

Nice excuse man "not" LOL
    Are you saying I was smarter than I felt that day?

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    An Argo in a bind ,You make me laugh. I got tired of turning around to use the front winch to pull out wheelers. I had that so I could just sit cozy in the heated cab with my shorts and flip flops on while the wheeler guys got muddy ,cold and wet .....
    Like the time I pulled 3 guys in their broke down Argo 6 miles out the Rex Trail to the Park Hwy with all their gear with my 6 wheeler. It was dark and all I carry is a 6 ft. tow rope. I had to run 15+ miles an hour to keep them rolling around corners and thru mud holes. It must have been like Mr. Toad's wild ride at Disneyland.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author