Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7MM REM MAG on brown bear?

Default 7MM REM MAG on brown bear?

i'm going for a coastal brown bear with my 7mm shooting federal vital shock ammo with the 160 barnes triple shock bullet. the hunt is going to be a spot and stalk. the shot will be under 100 yards, 40-60 more than likely.

or should i just take the .300 winmag?

thanks for the info

If it was me, I would be taking the 300 without hesitation, that would be my mimimum for coastal brown bear. I'm sure a lot of these Alaska guys will agree.

I expect it would work fine.

I would not be taking a 7mm if I have a 300 win mag though myself.

It never hurts to put as big a hole as possible in the bears hide as they do not leave much of a blood trail.

-----------

A friend of mine lost a bear last spring shooting a 300 win mag with 180 XBT bullets. What this tells me is the shot was not very good or the bear would be dead. There was no blood at all but the bear did go down at the shot. The bear fell and got back up and ran off.

I think a couple ideas to consider are to make follow up shots. Keep drilling the bear until it is dead.

Use as big a gun as you can shoot well. I do think that 30 cals (O.K. fine 7 mag too) are fine for bear hunting if you are proficient with your rifle. I have never heard the complaint of a gun working too well on a bear or of excess penetration. If you already have a 300 win mag I dont see going to 338 win mag as much of an improvement (any excuse is a good excuse to buy one).

I have a tag for Kodiak next spring and I was going to use a 30-06 or 300 WSM but I went ahead and got a 375 H-H. I got some 300 grain TSX bullets to load for it I dont think you have to go that big but I know for myself that I will not complain if it penetrates farther than necessary or makes too big of a hole.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default take the 300

i hunt the brownies with a 416 remington and have never felt over-gunned and have never felt recoil shooting at a brownie----

Default shot placement

I would use what ever gun you are the most Proficient with because shot placement is why more importnant than size of the gun and if you hand load or know someone who can for you you can get that 7mm do some rell damage what ever gun you do use just shoot shoot shoot before you go and you should be fine i friend back home shoot a big bull elk from 130 yeards with a 30 30 and it droped right there but a nother guy shot one from 75 yards with a 300 mag and it ran over a mile before it went down shot placement is the key but i am not saying to use a 30 30 for a bear not inless you just want to piss him off

Everything else being equal, a 300 mag will always be a better choice than a 7mm mag...it's that simple.

Quote Originally Posted by dalemac View Post
    i'm going for a coastal brown bear with my 7mm shooting federal vital shock ammo with the 160 barnes triple shock bullet. the hunt is going to be a spot and stalk. the shot will be under 100 yards, 40-60 more than likely.

or should i just take the .300 winmag?

thanks for the info

The 7mm loaded with the TSX will work just fine, a lot of bears are killed with a 7mm

i shoot the 7mm alot more than the 300 and i got way to much scope on the 300 for the area here. this hunt is a bonus. pulled up at the right time right place. i will have a back up shot coming from a 35 whelen and we both carry 454...going in the morning...i'll post monday night when i get back.

Default .300 Win Mag

Only because that is what I had experience with. Took a 7' sow last fall. I still have the box of bullets, 200grn Swift A frame Safari Grade by Remington. Only 4 rounds missing, two to sight in and two for the bear. I will make you good deal on them. I sold the gun, you will realize once you are amongst the bears that you will feel undergunned. I did and sold the .300wm and got the ruger .375 now. I hear the 7mm kicks pretty good, mise well just take the .300wm and be on the safer side.

I killed a 8' Grizz in British Columbia with a 7mm Rem Mag shooting 160 grain Fail Safes at 3000 fps.....It took 5 shots and the last one was behind the ear.

For me the bigger the better......When I go after my Brownie I will have my 375 H&H and 300 grain A FRAMES!!!!

yeah when you are hunting something that can and will fight back you should fell Comfortable that when you shoot it wont be able to fight back but with saying that shot placement is still the key

The Grizz on the left came in on me while working on my Moose kill and one shot from my 475 Linebaugh was plenty

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    The Grizz on the left came in on me while working on my Moose kill and one shot from my 475 Linebaugh was plenty

Is that all. The 475 Linebaugh is known to fully penetrate an Elephants skull with the right bullets. Bullet probably went through the bear and a cord of wood behind him.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

The way I hear it told, people of these moose stomper round will not shoot animals in a southerly direction for fear of hitting relatives in the lesser 48.

I think the presents of two bear in the picture is a prime example. Shot one bear, the same bullet killed the second bear a mile or more away.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I have taken Brown bears with a 7x57mm Mauser and a 30-30. But that was back when that was all I owned. Not to mention I was young and a fast runner. Plus I was sneaky and none of those bears ever saw it coming.

Now that I am older, I prefer a bit more lead.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default both are great

i own both a 300 and a 7mm both work exceptionaly but the 7 has been a better sure stopper for me. Ihave lost bears across rivers un crossable for miles with both. the bullet choice has made the differance. the 7 with the nosler billistic tip 175 grain has dropped 10 large bears within 20 yards, wile the 300 is a great gun after the second bear it has been semi retired. It all seems to come down to personal preferance.

Default neither

I'd opt for a .338 or 9.3 as minimum and a .375 or .458 as ideal , if you can handle the recoil . you should always use the biggest rifle you can handle . I lived on Kodiak for quite a few years and carried a 98 .458 in a Brown P. stock with qd mounts and a 1x4 , just right .

Logman, I think they were talkin rifles, not artillary...lol

The 7mm with that super bullet should be fine. My hunting bud took a smaller interior bear this fall with his using POS Remington Express ammo. The ground on the off-side where the bullet exited looked like someone had thrown a coffee can full of blood and lung tissue on the ground.

We found her piled up less than 50 feet from where she was hit.
    Now what ?

Default artillery

Not talking about anything that any old time guide would be up here when kicking bears out of bushes . Ed Stevenson , Phil Shoemaker and Joe Want would be saying the same with the coastal bears . I absolutely would not be wading up the creeks with a 7 mag or a 300 of any flavor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast