Thread: hunting in ketchikan

ft myers fl right at the moment till i move to ketchikan ak

Default hunting in ketchikan

im movin to ketchikan in a few months and wanted to know if anyone knew how the hunting was there

Default Ketchikan Hunting

The black bear hunting on Prince of Wales Island is great - just that you have to either fly or boat there. I haven't hunted deer on the island but we saw lots when we hunted bears there. It should be good.

I'm not sure how "good" the Mt. Goat hunting is but there are some guides that do goat hunts on the mainland.

Hope this helps.

Deer & bear hunting in the Ketchikan area is fair to good but the best area is POW Island. You can take a vehicle over by ferry (4 hour run) and hunt over 1000 miles of road. Boating and fly-ins to POW and other islands is another method of accessing both critters.

Goat hunting on our island, Revillagegedo, is by draw permit if you are hunting close to town and this year there were only 20 permits issued, I've heard this could double next year. There are places on the back side of the island you can hunt without a draw permit.

You can also fly into the Misty Fiords located behind our island on the mainland where you have access to other great hunting areas for goat. Brown and blackbear can be hunted in the Misty's.

kingfishektn

Default ask muskeg

you could shoot johnny ( he goes by muskeg on here) message he lives in ketchikan and he is also a outfitter http://www.muskegexcursions.com/
    he might be out on a hunt right now so it might be alittle bit before you here form him.

Default hunting K-town

Don't forget the elk! Drawing permits early season and registration hunts late season, on Etolin and Zarembo islands that are closer to Wrangell than K-town. The elk that leave these islands are free shooting during deer season, no tag needed just report after you knock one down, bull or cow.
    The blacktails are usually small but I have taken a couple that went over 200#. A buddy pulled on off of Revilla that dressed 252#! Would not have believed it but it was fin and feathers scale.
    We moved to the Valley 5 years ago but have some great memories of K-town after 20 years of hunting and fishing there. Oh the fresh jumbo prawns and dungeness crab make excellent supper after a day in the woods hunting. Just put the pots out before you go in the woods and pull em when you get out!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

shoot i would pay a mint to have a deer dress out like that i had one down here 8 point weigh in at 120 they come real small here

Default Goats

There is good Goat hunting there. Go to no name lake just above Leduc lake. Heart lake and uppers Sacs lake are good places to fly into.

Default deer

deer that big are very scarce, out of 20 years i can only remember 3 that big, alpine up high, most are in the 80-125 range
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

Default welcome...

So what brings you up? As far as the hunting goes it will be best to wait until you get here and do the one year wait. What type of work will you be doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Istaga View Post
    So what brings you up? As far as the hunting goes it will be best to wait until you get here and do the one year wait. What type of work will you be doing?
    my buddy talked us into goin there im tired of florida so im used to swamp huntin but love the snow so if anybody has any info they would like to give me bout the town ktn i would love it as for the yr wait whats that about its only 90days from what ive read to get an ak drivers license do i have to wait a yr to get a resident huntin license