Thread: Kenai Shuttle Question

Default Kenai Shuttle Question

I'm planning to try and do a couple day trips (Floating) on the Kenai at the beginning of October. I'll be using my Pro Pioneer and was hoping to see if anybody knows if there is any type of shuttle that can run me back to my rig after a float? Also, while I'm on the topic of Kenai, what is the best tactic for the Rainbows (Eggs, Flesh Flies)? I've been making up some of those clay type eggs and have quite a few beads, but haven't fished the Kenai in the fall before. Thanks for any help.

Call Wildman's in Copper Landing (907)595-1456 http://www.wildmans.org/

I called this summer and the shuttle was $40 using your own vehicle. The price is a bit steep but cheaper than driving a second vehicle if you live a good distance away. Plus it avoids the hassle of running the shuttle vehicle.

the old thumb is pretty useful and consistent for shuttles
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default yeah

definently man, i always just put in at the ferry and park my truck there so i can get to fishin... then after the float i just thumb it right there at jims to the first truck i see that would have room.

Default Thanks for the help

Thanks for the information I really appreciate it. Here's another quick question. What are the "better" floats for this time of year to target Rainbow Trout? I've floated from Skilak to Bings once before, but am not too familiar with the upper Coopers area and what the water is like. I'll be in a Pro Pioneer, so don't want to get myself into any whitewater or situations where I could take on much water. Any information is appreciated.

Default hmmm

im not really sure what a pro pioneer is but i can definently tell you the difference between the 2 floats. if you do skilak to bings remember its only REALLY hott at the top and then it widdles down. but there are definently bigger bows holding in there.you'll be floating around 6 mph with all flat water the whole way down (piece of cake) now the upper kenai from sportsmans to jims is really good right now aslong as you know what to use. cooper to sportsmans is usually slower till the flesh bite really starts to hit but that should be soon. i dont bother too much with cooper unless its the beginning of the year or the end. dont even go near the canyon if you dont want any white water.. thats my 2 cents.

Your best bet is to launch at Sportsman's (Russian River Ferry) and take out at Jim's. It is a nice float with productive water.

How long does it typically take to row across Skilak and float out to Bings? Also, how long does it take to do Sportsmans to Jims? I'm assuming the eggs and flesh flies are the way to go, but maybe I'm missing something that I don't know about. I talked with Troutfitters yesterday and they said that the river is high and it's taking alot of work to find fish. I hope by next weekend the river drops some, but either way I'm going to go. What are the motor restrictions on Skilak to Bings? I remember people motoring across Skilak, but can't remember if they motored below that or not. I apologize for all of the questions, I'm just figuring out what to take with me. If need be, I can take my larger raft and outboard motor.