Thread: Looks like 225 gr Nosler BT may not work in 350 Rem Mag

Default Looks like 225 gr Nosler BT may not work in 350 Rem Mag

This was lots of money for no reason.

While in Kenai yesterday on a shoping trip I bought a box of 225 grain Nosler ballistic tips in .358 caliber to see how they worked in the 350 Remington Magnum.

I tried loading some today and discovered that in order to seat them deep enough for this caliber (in a Ruger M77MKII) that they have to be pushed in past the widest part of the projectile.
    They are actually longer than the 250 grain Speer spitzers.
    So not only are they not supported correctly by the case neck / mouth, they also take up all sorts of room that should be going to powder.

These would be better suited to a 35 Whelen or a 358 Norma Mag.

Another box of bullets that will sit on the shelf...

Here are some pics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    This was lots of money for no reason.

While in Kenai yesterday on a shoping trip I bought a box of 225 grain Nosler ballistic tips in .358 caliber to see how they worked in the 350 Remington Magnum.

I tried loading some today and discovered that in order to seat them deep enough for this caliber (in a Ruger M77MKII) that they have to be pushed in past the widest part of the projectile.
    They are actually longer than the 250 grain Speer spitzers.
    So not only are they not supported correctly by the case neck / mouth, they also take up all sorts of room that should be going to powder.

These would be better suited to a 35 Whelen or a 358 Norma Mag.

Another box of bullets that will sit on the shelf...

Here are some pics
    The information a guy needs, that should have been on the box label, like the length of the bullet and the ogive are always missing. Why do we let bullet makers get away with this?

Instead we end up with boxes of bullets that set on the shelf for years or we have to find someone we either give them to or sell them at a fraction of what we paid for them. I was just going through dozens of boxes of bullets the other day and wondered what in the heck ever possed me to buy them. Granted the prices of some of them were in the 2.50 a box ranges, they were so old. Good lord I found 10 boxes of the original Barnes solid copper bullets in 6.5mm 140 grain. I must have been thinking these will be perfect for warfare, cause they sure ain't worth squat for hunting.

I know we are not alone in this Float Pilot. There has got to be thousands of us around the country in the same boat.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Will they go deep enough that a crimp would close up the gap?

I would just shoot them all at the range rather than just let them take up space.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

I did that with three of them.
    I am heading to the range right now to see if it works or if the extra pressure makes my rifle fly apart.
    Maybe I will wear my old motorcycle helmet for those rounds....

If all else fails maybe I can find somebody with a 35 Whelen or 358 Norma who wants to swap bullets....

Default http://35cal.com/loading.html#660

61/ReL 15
    225 Nosler Ballistic Tip
    slight taper crimp
    2.895 COAL
    to fit Ruger mag
    2649fps
    ----ft.lbs
    WLRM, virgin RP brass, approx .170" to lands, some ogive down in case mouth
    OK pressures
    about all the powder I can get in
    60/ReL 15/2640fps,

64/ReL 15
    225 Nosler Ballistic Tip
    no crimp
    3.030 COAL
    cut tip back to 2.895 to fit Ruger mag
    2795fps,
    ----ft.lbs
    near top load
    significant case head expansion (.511/.531) but no ejector slot imprint yet
    WLRM, virgin RP brass, approx. .060" to lands, all of case neck holding bullet bearing surface
    60/ReL 15/2626fps
    61/ReL 15/2677fps
    62/ReL 15/2726fps
    63/ReL 15/2713fps

Hope this helps. Nosler doesn't list the 225 BT or AB for the 350 rem because of coal limitations. But if you don't want to play with them shoot me a pm.

Jake

Looks like 62 grains R15 is the max at 3.030". Anytime the velocity levels out or goes down that is when you are already passed max. Significant case head expansion is a big deal also, not all cases will leave ejector slot imprints.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

RANGE REPORT:

I will give a full range report on all rounds loaded and fired on another thread.

However for this thread:

Nosler 225 grain ballistic tip boat tail;
    62.0 grains RL-15
    Federal 215M primer
    Remington twice fired brass with neck and shoulder sizing.
    2.875 COL
    No cutting of the bullet tip required since I vibrated the powder around the bullet base before final seating. See photo at beginning of post.

I only loaded 3 cartridges for this test, usinmg this load since I thought it might not work out so well.

Velocity in FPS measured from 20 feet past muzzle. Temp 45 degrees F.
    1. 2,751
    2. 2,787
    3. 2,750

Group:
    Two touching at 100 yards with a third flyer that opened up the group to 2.2 inches. This may have been the first round when I was worried about pressure.

Primer flatened and considerable cratering around the firing pin strike.
    Case shows rather high pressure.

While this load actually functions very well in my Ruger M77MKII action, I do not like how it seats so deeply. This bulet should work great in a 35 Whelen, 358 Norma or 358 Alaskan.

Anyone have some bullets they want to swap?

Default Haven't Noticed the Caveat in Other Manuals...But...

The new Nosler manual makes specific mention of many of it's bullets' limitations in some cartridges, among them is the combination you've mentioned (page 517 of Nosler #6 manual). Gotta do some additional research these days.
    You're absolutely right about them being better suited to cases with additional magazine/throat/neck length. Maybe a reason for a new rifle? Case of the tail wagging the dog (and a mighty small tail at that).
    IF they'll fit in the throat, you COULD load them in individually, using the rifle as a single shot, and then they wouldn't just sit on the shelf. Most times that I've tried that, though, they shoot into little ragged one hole groups, and aggravate me worse than ever!!!
    By the way, I noticed while reading the data for the cartridge/bullet combinations that DO work, the 225 Partition actually has a scoche higher ballistic coefficient than the AccuBond does. Curious.......
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 09-23-2008 at 04:26. Reason: .

Default Reccomendation

My Ruger likes 225gr TSX. It will clover a 3 shot group. I took a deer at 364 yards with it. The 225 partition will work but the gun did not like them.

Default Round 2

Having to seat bullets TOO deep in the 350 Rem Mag and 6.5 Rem Mag as well was what caused their their fall from grace in the 70's. Both rounds were ahead of their time but were put into rifles with short magazines, requireing the bullet to be seated deep in the case/ reducing case capacity/velocity, and bullets available for hunters. Today we have more styles and types/weights of bullets available for reloading. But it seems some are still out of reach for certain types rifles.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !