Thread: Anyone hear that?

Default Anyone hear that?

Yep that is the sound of the fat lady tuning up on the unit 14 moose season. The good news is I didn't have to buy a bigger freezer this year

I'm sitting here working with less than 6 hrs of shooting light left in the unit 15 season. Hopefully I'll stumble accross a dumb blackie in the next mont or so & it won't be just salmon this winter.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Still time to hunt in 14C followed by registration hunts in 20.

Brian hush! Yep 10 more days out my way and no you may not cross my land, I haven't filled the freezer yet either. Good news is lots of pre rut activity going on.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Not much Rutting activity in 14 this year. I'm looking out the window at some green leaves on trees yet this year. They need to open the season 5 days later and leave it open another 5 days. heck make it 10. On the 12th absolutely no activity in 20c either. We lucked out and got one bull.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I wish they would move the archery season to the week after rifle season ends so calling would be more effective. It might encourage more folks to take up archery as well.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

A nice looking Bull got harvested by a car on east bound Tudor Rd just east of the Native hospital this evening. What a waste.

jkb
    Fall and winter as well as the rut are usually a week or even two earlier here than the rest of the valley, and let me stress again pre rut activity!

All
    The seasons are placed the way they are to limit harvest numbers.

338-06
    My understanding is that meat will go to help feed the needy.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Brian hush! Yep 10 more days out my way and no you may not cross my land, I haven't filled the freezer yet either. Good news is lots of pre rut activity going on.
    I figured out where you live now. Hope a legal one runs thru your yard on the way to rutting fields.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I was out yesterday morning in 14a and was following some cow calls and I found myself surrounded by bulls! I was so excited there were at least 4 bulls moving in and out of the alders around me. Try as I might I couldn't make any of them 50" and couldn't verify 3 brow tines... Frustrating for sure, they were all 50-75 yards. Oh well that brings the total to something like 30 sub legal bulls and 1 "shooter" this year too bad the shooter didn't present a good shot, I probably should have put one in him but I spent to much time checking out the antlers, seems retarded in hindsight, I mean honestly how long could it really take me to be sure about counting to 2...

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    I figured out where you live now. Hope a legal one runs thru your yard on the way to rutting fields.
    Seen plenty of cows headed down hill and 2 sub legal bulls. I'ts been my experiance that the big boys are the last off the hill and ussually we start seeing legal bulls at about this point in the fall. This year fall is even earlier than normal and lined up with the end of the hunt!
    BHA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    jkb
    Fall and winter as well as the rut are usually a week or even two earlier here than the rest of the valley, and let me stress again pre rut activity!

All
    The seasons are placed the way they are to limit harvest numbers.

338-06
    My understanding is that meat will go to help feed the needy.
    Yes, I know. A friend of mine was on the list for collecting road kill when she was younger and poorer.

I just think it's a waste for a moose to die like that. I'd much rather see Far North Bicentennal Park opened up for bowhunting-and I don't even bowhunt!

Absolutely, unfortunately due to a arrow in the but of a moose that was on the news slowly dying for weeks you'll never see a bow hunt in the anchorage bowl. Folks if you can't hit your target stay home and practice till ya can.
    BHA Member

Default last day

Last day was an exciting one. I saw a bull in the morning, another in the evening, both probably legal, but neither one showed up well enough. First was a probable fork about 50 yards away in a devils club patch, and he somehow ghosted away. Next was a big bull that I heard thrashing in the morning but never saw, then saw his cow in the evening, followed 15 minutes later with a sighting of him. About 50", 3-4 brow tines probable, but all I ever could see was one antler and an ear, sometimes a bit of his second antler. He had his sugar mama, wasn't going to leave her for another bull or cow. There's always late archery hunts! (and my wife thinks I'm done...)

Just got a call from a buddy he got a 48" 4x3 on the last day near purches creek.
    Unknown author

I'd like to do some hunting but I have to wait one year for residency.