Thread: PWS Bear Update

Unhappy PWS Bear Update

Just got off the water from a 3 day trip out there. Left Sunday and came back on Tuesday. Water was great, glass but very overcast and small periods of light showers, not bad. We burned 2 tanks of gas and were all over Dangerous Passage and in and out of all the bays along the way. We stayed in the South Culros Passage cabin and were all over the place. It was a long winter and still showing the effects with the amount of snow down there. For those that are familar with the area we ran into lots of floating ice at the bottom of the passage, large sheets and the back left of Jackpot was totally frozen over. We did see 2 bears, one high in the back of Ewon bay playing in the snow and eating grass at the base of a spruce and then saw another right outside of Jackpot on the beach. Was able to put a stalk on the last one but by the time we hit the boat and walked the beach around a corner with plenty of cover he was gone without a sight, so no shot, just ripped pants. That was about it

Snow report, beaches on the south side are clear but everything on the north is deep snow to the bottom. Cruised Blackstone and the one right after that and beaches and hill side on the south facing were clear and you could see grass but the north had clear beach but snowy right where the grass starts. The large grassy flat at the back of that second right after blackstone was nothing but snow, no grass showing.

Shrimping was not good, ran 3 pots at the begining of Culross passage and only about 12 total, not worth it with out a pot puller.

Not many boats out there during the week but on Sunday we saw quite a bit coming home. A friend left on friday and as we met him out there he had not seen any bears till Monday. He had bait stations set up out there and nothing had hit.

So, all in all. Good trip but lots of snow and only 2 bears spotted. Visitors log in the cabin talked about a 3 day hunt right before we got there and they saw nothing.

I will be posting pictures on a website of mine later today, some shots of the shore and the ice fields. Best of luck to all. I was dropped off and the guys went back out so I wish them luck, they will be out until Sunday and hope they come back with some, will let all know any updated status as it comes and will post when I get the photos up.

Default Pws

Went out Friday and came back Sunday. Saw about 15 bears. My hunting partner was able to take his first.

Default Finally got a hit last night

I finally got some action at a bait station last night.
    Attached Images Attached Images

We left Sunday and returned last night and took two bear. Ran down to Unakwik (sp) bay. There's still quite a bit of snow down that way. Fish and Game met us at the dock and sealed bears. Didn't see many hunters out.

got a call from the guys that went back out they took two bears also, the afternoon after they left me on the dock. A friend also took 1 bear in the area so they are out and not many hunters. I was told that the sun was the trick, sunny today and yesterday which made for good bear hunting and water is still glass.