Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: 08 rhino

  1. #1

    Default 08 rhino

    I just bought an 08 rhino 700fi I am going to put tires wheels and winch on for starters. the question is if i go for the 27" tires will i need a cluch kit. and where can i buy a 4000lb winch form for a ok price. should I do anything else to the machine for starters?
    So far I love it and most of all the wife loves it too.

  2. #2
    Member tjm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,125

    Default

    i had 28" on an 04/05 660 Rhino, no clutch kit...I know they are different now, id say try it first without the kit and if no good spring for the kit...

    I hear you on the wife thing too....always have a better time when mama is happy...lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,417
    Last edited by Snyd; 09-20-2008 at 22:31.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don稚 have one, you値l probably never need one again

  4. #4
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    north of willow, ak
    Posts
    4

    Default

    check out motoalliance, they sell viper winches, and are a sponsor on www.prcforums.com, which is polaris ranger forums. the members on prc who have the viper winch say they are well pleased. good winch at a very reasonable price.


    http://www.motoalliance.com/

  5. #5

    Default

    I have a Viper and like it. Have nothing but good things to say about Motoalliance as a company. I'd buy again from them in a heartbeat. Not going to beat the price, performance, and customer service.

  6. #6
    Member AKMuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    I just bought an 08 rhino 700fi I am going to put tires wheels and winch on for starters. the question is if i go for the 27" tires will i need a cluch kit. and where can i buy a 4000lb winch form for a ok price. should I do anything else to the machine for starters?
    So far I love it and most of all the wife loves it too.
    I have a 2007 Rhino 660. I have 26" ITP Terracross Tires on 14" inch rims. I have had the Rhino stuck on one occasions when the tires would not turn. I had it in low gear and 4 wheel lock. The tires just would not turn. I am currently installing a machined clutch sheave (Hunterworks - $200) with the lighter Kodiak 450 weights (Yamaha Dealer - $16). This will give me more pull on the lower end while raising my top end speed around 8mph. I also have a "Hunterworks Tri-Fire Plus CDI" ($154) that makes a great improvement over the stock CDI (starts much better with greatly improved acceleration). I added a "UNI" high flow foam air filter (Hunterworks - $22) and a high flow billet exhaust tip ($40..ebay). The end result gives me a Rhino that has more low end for pulling while gaining enough top end to put me around 55 - 60mph.

    As for the winch...I have the 3000lbs multi-mount winch (Yamaha Dealer). It is mounted on a 2" receiver and mounts on both the front and rear of the Rhino. I like it because it gives me more options than a solid mount winch. It is very well constructed and has held up as well as any winch I have ever used. The 3000lbs winch has plenty of power to pull out my Rhino. I wouldn't worry about getting a larger winch unless they were similar in cost.

    Hope this helps...
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

  7. #7
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    I highly recommend a 4000lb winch. Tires are tires, I put 27' mud bugs on my ranger and I notice a HUGE difference in the ground I cover. I winch 1/2 as much since putting them on.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  8. #8

    Default

    I put a 4000lb winch on my Big Boss 6x6. Works like a charm.

  9. #9

    Default

    Well i ordered my 27" mud lites and wheels. Iam going to order a 4000lb winch, I want a warn but the viper winchs are a good price, I wonder iif they hold up to lots of use. Is there any other option that I should put on this thing? I thinking cluch kit and CDI box. Can a person put those cluch kits in them selfs or is that a dealer thing, Iam pretty good around the garage. Thanks for all your help guys.

  10. #10
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Default

    If your handy in the garage and can follow directions a clutch isn't too bad, depends on what you want it to do for you...i.e. a simple primary with spring changes, or full blown dialed in weights.

    Find a reputable clutch guy for the rhino and tell them what you will be doing with the machine they should be able to help you out.

    Dale at Dirty Dawg Performance is a Polaris guy, perhaps he can help you out or point you to the right person.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  11. #11
    Member AKMuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    458

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
    Well i ordered my 27" mud lites and wheels. Iam going to order a 4000lb winch, I want a warn but the viper winchs are a good price, I wonder iif they hold up to lots of use. Is there any other option that I should put on this thing? I thinking cluch kit and CDI box. Can a person put those cluch kits in them selfs or is that a dealer thing, Iam pretty good around the garage. Thanks for all your help guys.
    Hunterworks Tri-Fire Plus CDI is the best upgrade I have done so far. My Rhino starts very smooth and quickly compared to before. 0 - 40mph is quick. Greatly improved acceleration and mid-range power. Do some reading...the Tri-Fire is the CDI to have. Check them out here - http://www.hunterworks.com/yamaha_rhino__accessories
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

  12. #12

    Default

    Thinking of tracts on my rhino. I can not get to my cabin on my rhino because of the swamps and mess that other ATVs have made and am thinking that tracts may help. Any comments?? Jim

  13. #13

    Default

    Are the stock Rhino tires really that bad? Wondering why that is one of the first thing everyone does to their rides? Anybody out there just stick with the stock tires?

    Steve

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    32

    Default Tracks for Ranger XP ??

    Snyd,

    I知 considering buying a set of tracks for my Ranger XP. I知 looking at pulling a lumbar package into my remote property this winter. Half of the distance is packed trail, and the other half is through the trees, and up the side of a bluff.
    How well do you think the tracks will work for pulling loads and hauling gear through the snow?
    I知 interested in anyone痴 opinion on how the setup might work, or if I知 better off just buying a freight hauling snow machine.

    Thanks

  15. #15
    Member Akheloce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Homer
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AkThad View Post
    Snyd,

    I知 considering buying a set of tracks for my Ranger XP. I知 looking at pulling a lumbar package into my remote property this winter. Half of the distance is packed trail, and the other half is through the trees, and up the side of a bluff.
    How well do you think the tracks will work for pulling loads and hauling gear through the snow?
    I知 interested in anyone痴 opinion on how the setup might work, or if I知 better off just buying a freight hauling snow machine.

    Thanks
    I have a Rhino 450 with tracks. A few things- it's SLOW. I realize it's a 450, but regardless of the power, the manufacturer of my tracks (TJD Cattracks) has a warning not to exceed 15 mph. On muskeg with about a foot of powder, I got 10.5. It goes very well on the terrain I took it- mostly trail with a few decent hills to climb in 12-18 inches of fresh snow over a solid base-surprizingly capable. I have yet to see how it does in some really bad snow conditions. Also, the turning radius is about as big as a snowmachine on hardpack.

    As far as pulling goes, with the gear reduction, it's a pulling beast. I pulled a 30' tree out of the brush with just a little spinning of the tracks (had a solid base to work with).

    You may want to consider the idea of upgrading the cooling system, or at least see how it goes after you run them. I was overheating about every 2 miles first time out- need to run a cooler thermostat, and I'm installing a heater, so the heater core may help.

    Overall, I love the track setup. I just have a few quirks to work out, but if you don't mind the low speed, it's great. One of the great things, is that with a heavy load, you're allowing the gears to take up the slack while going slow, easing the wear on the belt as opposed to a snowmachine. Also, it's refreshing to just kinda cruise along listening to the stereo, having a cigar (I smoke anyway-may not be a selling point for you ) And enjoying a beverage on a leisurely trip to the cabin.

  16. #16
    Member TWB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    3,573

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by AkThad View Post
    Snyd,

    I’m considering buying a set of tracks for my Ranger XP. I’m looking at pulling a lumbar package into my remote property this winter. Half of the distance is packed trail, and the other half is through the trees, and up the side of a bluff.
    I've got an 08 XP as well and I would love a set of tracks for next moose season. I'm gonna bug Paul at ERPAC to maybe demo a set of tracks. I can't justify buying a sled when I have a killer machine that will haul alot more, and the family around for the price of a set of tracks. Moose would fear me if I had tracks.

    I did talk to Matt at ERPAC and he's ran an XP with tracks and said it was amazing, only drawback being the steering but for another grand you can install unisteer...so there is more effort to get the tracks turned. Also the idler wheels on the Prospector Tracks don't like hitting logs. He might be able to get you in contact with the old district salesman(Paul, not the owner) and he runs one year round with tracks.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Posts
    117

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    I've got an 08 XP as well and I would love a set of tracks for next moose season. I'm gonna bug Paul at ERPAC to maybe demo a set of tracks. I can't justify buying a sled when I have a killer machine that will haul alot more, and the family around for the price of a set of tracks. Moose would fear me if I had tracks.

    I did talk to Matt at ERPAC and he's ran an XP with tracks and said it was amazing, only drawback being the steering but for another grand you can install unisteer...so there is more effort to get the tracks turned. Also the idler wheels on the Prospector Tracks don't like hitting logs. He might be able to get you in contact with the old district salesman(Paul, not the owner) and he runs one year round with tracks.

    I have been on a Canadian web site a few times latley and they love there track's over there. Check it out www.Trackshare.com lots of good track info. I have a 2009 RZR and I just ordered a set of Camoplast Tatou 4s tracks for it from CCSkidoo in Wasilla. The manufacture states that you can run at about 40 mph on these tracks, and there a 4 season track. I plan on only running them in the winter though.

  18. #18
    Member skip olsen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fairbanks Alaska
    Posts
    216

    Default 08 rhino

    Here's My 08 Rhino I Had The Plastic Crap On It During Moose Season And After Moose Season Built Me A Nice Aluminum Cab Just Got To Build Some Doors Now I Have Tatou 4 S Tracks And You Do Want To Get A Good Winch I Had A 2500 On It Now I Have A 4500 On It But I Love It It Goes Where I Want To Go, Tusiks No Problem, But The Tracks Will Slow It Down But I Can Live With That I'm In No Hurry. Skip
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •