Thread: 380 Howell

Default 380 Howell

Folks,

Is anybody out there shooting the 380 Howell and willing to share load data? I am getting geared up to start loading this critter and would be grateful for any help. I also am looking for used reloading gear ... see post in the classified section.

Thanks in advance!
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Torpedoshooter View Post
    Folks,

Is anybody out there shooting the 380 Howell and willing to share load data? I am getting geared up to start loading this critter and would be grateful for any help. I also am looking for used reloading gear ... see post in the classified section.

Thanks in advance!
    Rich

Have you thought about contacting Ken Howell for data?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I'm not sure what that is. Is that based on the 404 Jeffery case as are his 375 Howell and 375 Howell #2? I do not find the 380 Howell in his book of custom cartridges. Is this a recent progeny of his? I did have an address for him in New Mexico, I think but he can still be found on 24HR campfire.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Thanks Gents,

It is based on the 06 case, will see if I can get in touch with Mr.W

I have some loads worked up by AHR that I can use as a baseline but thought someone else might have some interesting thoughts.

Cheers,
    Rich
    I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath had no expiration date Congress must use a different version that does.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    I'm not sure what that is. Is that based on the 404 Jeffery case as are his 375 Howell and 375 Howell #2? I do not find the 380 Howell in his book of custom cartridges. Is this a recent progeny of his? I did have an address for him in New Mexico, I think but he can still be found on 24HR campfire.

It's been awhile since I talked to Ken on the phone, but last time he was still in Montana. The phone number was the same as the last time I was at his house. He has had some severe health issues and doesn't get around as well as he used to. I will give the phone number I have for him a try in the morning. I feel bad for not having been able to check up on him.

When I talked to him last the New Mexico move had fell through. We talked about a bear hunt he wanted to try out a new ctg of his on.

I hate to try and calling him this late at night. I will try in the morning.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I tried calling Ken this morning. No joy, let it ring for five minutes. I did send him a PM and posted on the last post he made.

I'll try again later.

I'm pretty sure Ken moved to New Mexico. He posts over on 24hourcampfire.com, so you could contact him there.

As i recall the 380 howell is based on a lengthened 30-06 case. I think he worked with Fred Zeglin on rifles/dies. You might want to check out Z-hat for additional information.

380 Howell
    375 Hawk-Scovill
    375 Whelen

Pretty much the same thing. I'm sure you'll have an easier time finding loading data for the latter two.

Not a huge selection of boolit appropriate for the lower velocity. The Speer 235 gr Hotcore would be a good one. I'm headed to the range at lunch today to shoot a few of these out of my 375-338. I think I'm in the 2,700-2,800 fps range.

The Howell has the shoulder moved forward and has a bit more capacity than the others.

It should push most bullets for the 375 H-H fast enough to be useful.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ken moved to New Mexico. He posts over on 24hourcampfire.com, so you could contact him there.

As i recall the 380 howell is based on a lengthened 30-06 case. I think he worked with Fred Zeglin on rifles/dies. You might want to check out Z-hat for additional information.
    This is the information I recieved from Ken regarding the .380 Howell.

I don't have any load data for my .380 Howell. Strictly as an onager guess, I'd expect Winchester 760 (about 6065 grains) or Hodgdon H-414 (about 6065 grains) to be optimum powders to poke the 300-grain Sierra out the muzzle of a 26-inch barrel at about 2,4002,500 ft/sec without risky peak pressures.

But as usual, of course, only prudent testing would tell the tale.

Indeed he moved to New Mexico in 2005. after he sold his house in Stevensville.

Default Many Thanks

Thanks for the help!

Rich
    I swore an oath to protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. That oath had no expiration date Congress must use a different version that does.