Thread: Maybe the chance of a lifetime

Default Maybe the chance of a lifetime

My wife and 2 year old will be gone from 24 Sep. to Oct. 4. I very rarely find myself alone especially for this long. I can hardly contain myself. I'm an active reader of these forums but I want specific advice for this trip. I live in Anchorage and usually fish close with the gas prices. I'm targeting silvers for the freezer, but would love to catch a spawning char or dolly. From the past posts I'm looking to camp out near Whittiier, Kenai, or Seward. I'll be there for the duration but I have a tendancy to go on a hike for awhile if I don't get a bite within a few hrs. Where is my best bet to enjoy this oppertunity and maybe get some fish for the winter?

P.S. Gas costs enough. If you know a spot near one of these locations where a clean camper can pitch a tent and maybe have a small campfire without 10-12$ a night please pm me.

Well, there's the gravel patch right after the airstrip at Whittier, I've seen campers there every once in a while - its free but then you have to pay a tunnel fee so its kind of a wash either way.

And I have no idea if the fish are near the shore.
    Last edited by Maast; 09-20-2008 at 19:29. Reason: Can't bloody spell

Default It looks like the Kenai is my best.

Does that sound about right to you guys?

Wow, that's a lot of free time!

Since the silvers seem to be failing to show in Seward and Whittier, I'd count those out. I think the Russian River campground still has some open areas, and if I remember correctly they aren't manned this time of year, so it's free. Good rainbow and dollies...even a chance for a silver or two. If you're looking to pack the freezer, it's not really the right time of year, but there are still silvers in the Kenai and if you talk to the right person on here you might be able to meet up. There's decent shore fishing from a lot of places along the river...Bing's, Swiftwater, Centennial...I'm sure others know of the best spots.

Honestly, unless something dramatically changes, I would skip Whittier and Seward. There's just not much happening.

Don't Coho Close on 1 OCT on the Kenai? Check the regs and yes as I experienced yesterday the fish are still in on the Kenai, Pinks and Silvers and there are some hogs left out there and bright too.

Right on guys! Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Don't Coho Close on 1 OCT on the Kenai? Check the regs and yes as I experienced yesterday the fish are still in on the Kenai, Pinks and Silvers and there are some hogs left out there and bright too.
    No, they don't, actually. Lower river is open thru Nov. 30 and upper Oct. 31st. Or it might be reversed...either way, you're good through October wherever you are. Check the regs anyway...but if I was going I wouldn't be worried about it.

Default seward was dead

on Sunday - unless you like rotten white pinks - then you could have maybe gotten 1 or two...mMMM, good. Tastes like Chicken.

Default Leaving Thursday.

I'm gonna start at the Russian Campground and the surrounding road accessible spots for the first couple days. If I don't get into a few silvers I'll then move on down the river for a few more days. If ya see a black explorer with a crater lake plate or a guy in a camo buni hat that's me.