Thread: Help with Caribou

Elmendorf AFB

Default Help with Caribou

I'm stationed here at elmendorf for three years, and come time for caribou season next year I'll be good to go for resident tags. I've never hunted bou before, and I'd like to do a DIY hunt, and I was just wondering if anyone had any advice to get me headed in the right direction. I was thinking about heading up the Taylor Highway past chicken, but it seems like most of the people on this forum hit the Haul Road. The only reason I don't want to do that is the five mile hike (I'm not much for bow hunting), but if that's where I'm more likely to find caribou then it would probably be worth the effort I imagine. Does anyone have any solid advice in the direction of location, gear, or even a solid book or web-site that might be of help?

Anything you can give me would be great.

Anchorage, Alaska

Default Caribou advice

Drop me a private message after October 5 (that's when I return from my last hunt) and let's talk.

LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address:
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Low:

If you really want success on a caribou hunt you really need to hop on a jet and come to Kotz and hunt WACH. Out herd numbers are great and your chances of taking a large animal are much higher up here. There is still time to do a drop hunt as the herd is all around the unit and hunting is good.
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska

Default budget

your budget will likely drive your bou hunting options..... drop me a PM and we can talk more if you'd like.... Bou is about the only thing I hunt across the state....

Also, make you sure takes Mike's advise and PM after he gets back... he is a WEALTH of great info for you as well.