Thread: self studded tires

Default self studded tires

Has anyone taken a set of tires and studded them on thier own by dropping in sheet metal screws/rivits or something?

Default Yep

Tedious. Time consuming. And it'll keep you busy for awhile.

Two words:
    Cordless Drill

Other than that... screws; found an article on the internet that sums about the way I went about it.

Good luck, enjoy.

Default fewer is better

I'm assuming you are in Anchorage, Anchorage-type winter commuting does benifit from studded tires. With Fairbanks-type winter commuting there is no net gain in studding your tires. Fairbanks is so cold and dry that a healthy ammount of finnesse(sp?) and a pair of snowcats are all that's really needed for commuting. Anchorage, on the otherhand, is wet, slippery and sloppy.

A couple of things when self-studding tires, use a new set of big, meaty, agressivly-treaded tires. Dont worry about skinwall kevlar-beads, Wire-bead blackwalls will last multiple winters, kevlar skinwalls might get two winters.... It might seem a shame to "destroy" a brand-new set of tires with screws, but you are not destroying anything, merely making seasonal tires.

find some "stove screws" from a fireplace/woodstove store. They are a hardened steel, very sharp, cost less than stainless and last longer than sheetmetal screws.

fewer is truly better...the picture at really has WAY TOO MANY studs. You only want one stud every 2-3 inches (every 2 inches on the front and every 3 inches on the back) and only on your outermost set of knobs. (just make sure the studs will clear your frame) If you stud your middle knobs you: a)serriously increase your rolling resistance b) punch those center screws back through the carcass and into your tube when riding on anything solid (if you are riding exclusivly(sp?) in soft snow you dont need any studs)
    Ofset your studs so they are not directly across from each other, kind of a Z pattern. This helps distribute the weight better and helps eliminate "hop" created by unballanced(i know i mispelld that one) tires.

Dont bother with a drill, just run-em through the meatiest part of the knob with a screwdriver. dip the screw-tip in a tire (rubber) cement or a "barge cement" just before you run-em into the carcass, they hold better and the knobs won't self destruct around the screw as quickly.

tireliners and duct-tape finish things off. Let the glue cure then take a ride. Ensure the studs clear your frame. even a small "tick will cut into the frame creating a place for it to break which will usually happn when landing a jump infront of your friends and the hottie you are trying to score on. If the studs rub, dont remove them, trim them with a dremel-tool.

This ends-up being a bit of a project, but well worth the time and attention to detail. flat tires in the winter really suck...

Someone showed me a kit they got at REI for putting traditional tire type studs into a bike tire, looked professional when done, but I couldn't vouch for reliability/durability.

For winter commuting tips hit-up Billy Kooch at Arctic Cycles ( in Anchorage, or anyone at Allweather Sports in Fairbanks. Sorry, dont know shops in the rest of the state...

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

Actually I've done it before. I did it to a couple different sets of tires for Cheri Elliott when she was doing the winter x-games. Back then her tire sponsor didn't offer a winter studded tire. I used self tapping sheet metal screws, lined everything with a lot of duct tape (which is actually not very easy to do, and then used downhill tubes in them just too reduce the chances of flats. I really can't tell you how this would last throughout the season, this was for race conditions and we really didn't put that many miles on the tires before they were swapped with new ones and new tubes.

Chasin the ladys! away!

you co uld purchase a stud gun and real tire studs and do it yourself, that would be the best way.

Semper Fi!

Alaska Snowmobile Salvage sells "Kold Kutter" ice screws that are designed as tire and track studs. They're affordable and they work great. Just make sure to get the correct length for what you're studding!

Eagle River, AK

Default forks?

A lot of good info here. Does everyone run a rigid fork in the winter? Will I damage my front suspension in cold weather?

Default I'm all for cheap,but...

Quit wasting your time. Go buy some Nokian studded tires. I've had mine for 6 years and I ride like a freak, meaning a lot. I've never had any problems and the studs and rubber are still in good shape. My wife and I built some homemade studs for her with the screws and duct tape and good tires and it was flat city, over and over. She now rides Nokian tires. My brother just bought some @ REI for $80 a tire,cheaper than what I paid 6 years ago. If you ride a lot don't waste your time on homemade studs unless you like fixing flats.

Juneau, Alaska

Default Nokkians

Another vote for Nokkians. Don't waste your time trying to cobble up some home built studded tires. Get a set of Nokkian Extremes and go ride. As mentioned earlier if you can get a set of wider rims like Snowcats and run them at low pressure that will help. I have three sets of Extremes and have been very happy with them (but less so with the 29er version).

Run whatever fork you have. You won't hurt a suspension fork running it in the winter, but it might get a little sluggish. Change to a lighter fork oil if it bugs you.