Thread: Hilleberg Nammatj 3

Default Hilleberg Nammatj 3

Anyone had any experince with the Hilleberg Nammatj 3 tent. I'm thinking of picking one up. Any thoughts would be helpfull.

I have the Nammatj 3 GT. It is an excellent tent. I don't have much experience with other high quality tents to compare, and I've never studied tents, but this is a serious tent. I've never had three people in it, but they would certainly fit. It is very comfortable with two, and the vestibule of the GT is very roomy. Get the footprints. It is very stable in high wind, even without using all the tie downs. Forget about getting wet. I am sold on the Hilleberg tents, and am looking to get a back packing size tent. The one I have isn't for that. Any other questions you can PM me. The stakes that come with it won't last long, so you might want to get some that you prefer. I use the long nail looking ones you can get from any sports store or sporting goods department. If anyone has any recommendations for a back packing tent, feel free to expound.

Well, I have the smaller Namatj for now about 15 years, and it has been in different contintens in use for backpacking trips and cycling trips, even under harsh weather and bad storms: excellent tent, but always had condensation inside, except when it is stormy or at least windy outside. It is a fine tent to buy, but my next one will be a Bibler I guess... Take the footprint with that and exspect when it is a 3-person tent that it is well for 2, but very narrow for 3!

Ideas for a bacpacking tent:
    Bibler Fitzroy for stormy weather or winter use
    Black Diamond Lighthouse for ultralight tent !!! Great!

Klaus

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I have the Nammatj 3 GT. It is an excellent tent. I don't have much experience with other high quality tents to compare, and I've never studied tents, but this is a serious tent. I've never had three people in it, but they would certainly fit. It is very comfortable with two, and the vestibule of the GT is very roomy. Get the footprints. It is very stable in high wind, even without using all the tie downs. Forget about getting wet. I am sold on the Hilleberg tents, and am looking to get a back packing size tent. The one I have isn't for that. Any other questions you can PM me. The stakes that come with it won't last long, so you might want to get some that you prefer. I use the long nail looking ones you can get from any sports store or sporting goods department. If anyone has any recommendations for a back packing tent, feel free to expound.
    Black Diamond First Light at Alaska Mountaineering for my backpacking tent.

Default Nallo 3

I have the Nallo 3. I like it a lot, in fact I just spent 3 nights in it. It can get wet inside, though, if there isn't a breeze. If you just bring a tent sponge you'll be fine. I found that pitching mine with the entrace lee of the wind and using a rock to lift the backside of the fly works great. Sucks the moisture right out of there.
    When I was shopping I was interested in either a Bibler or Nallo. The Bibler was about $600 I believe. I got my Nallo in like new shape for $200 on EBay. Still has the tags on it. I believe the Hilleberg weighs less as well.

@akSteve: Sure it was not a copy of Hilleberg? Here in Europe You have to pay about 500-550 a Nallo, which is about 600 to 670 US$ ...?! That would be a very cheap price for beeing new...

Default The real deal

Nope, it's the real deal. Hilleberg logo is all over everything. And yes, it was very cheap.

Default Condensation issues

Steve,

I have heard from several users that the Hilleberg tents have had condensation issues for years. Usually this is attributed to poor ventilation and could be the user's fault if they don't know how to properly vent their tent. On the other hand, it could be a design flaw.

I prefer Terra Nova and have had no problems with them in any way.

As to the footprint idea, I roll all my tents in a tarp that's the same size as the floor. Keeps them clean and dry, and I can use the tarp for something else in a pinch. Tarps are much cheaper than a footprint, and very durable.

I agree with the comments on supplemental tent stakes. Bring some snow stakes for sandy areas, wire stakes for the rocks and some plastics for regular dirt. Also toss in a couple of 50' rolls of parachute cord for tiedowns. The tiedown cords on most tents are not long enough.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Mike,

I have the Nallo 2 GT and it is a great tent. Very strong and watertight, yet very light for the size. The reason they get condensation is because the outer tent comes right down to the ground. Hilleberg accounts for this by giving you a front and rear vent. The floor is upswept in the rear of the tent to allow for use of the rear vent. If it isn't used you will get condensation.

Default Nallo and moisture

My Nallo can get damp, there is no doubt about that. A sponge helps, as does keeping it vented.

@chisana: I have always both vents open and most of the time the door a part: it doesn´t help! But it´s waterproof when raining. I like it and it´s a great tent, but I will try the Bibler /BD next time.