Thread: Near Anchorage duck hunting areas

Default Near Anchorage duck hunting areas

My ll yr old and I have shotguns ready to go. Ive never hunted birds south of the Arctic Circle, any chance to get into decent bird shooting say within 100 miles of Anchorage. Thinking heading south to stay away from the crowds, looking a for a little room to show my boy how to shoot his shotgun. Thinking maybe the Portgage/Placer Area.

Any ideas? Not looking for exact locations, but general areas is fine.

Andy
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Default Ducks

Check your PM

I looking for a close spot to. I'm going to try ACWR tomorrow. Going to try some jump shooting.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've been wanting to give this a try as well, don't know much about it though.
    I know guys have said the Placer/Portage area seems to do well, and the feller in ADN writes an article about hunting what I think is the 20mile area every year.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

There are a few spots for walking in down at the Portage swamps. The one thing you have to be aware of is that the Railroad Bulls are hard on tresspassers these days and were handing out tickets for walking on the tracks several times a day last year. Look for where there are trucks parked before the Twenty Mile and then go from there on the various trails.

The guy in the paper runs 3 miles day or bikes 20 miles a day so his marsh marches are not for the weekend huter types. I can handle about 100 yards in that type of stuff, but Medred walks for miles jumping ducks down there.

Since you asked about spots 100 miles around Anchorage, you have included all of the Hay Flats and the Knik Swamps as well as the Anchorage refuge on the south end of town. Need hunter safety cards to hunt that though.

There is a lot of info on here about the Knik/Jim Creek swamps as well as the Hay Flats. Use the search function and you will gather the basic info you are looking for.

Default Wow, thanks!!!!

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the information. Andrew and I will be hitting the Portgage/Placer area today/tomorrow to get our feet wet, maybe jump a bird or two. Will keep you posted on our first go on bird hunting, with pics I hope.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"