Thread: Sheep Creek/N. Fork Kashwitna

Default Sheep Creek/N. Fork Kashwitna

I have never hunted the Talkeetna Mountains but am looking at possibly purchasing a remote cabin about 8 miles due east of the Parks Highway and within a mile of sheep creek. I understand that there are 4 wheeler trails up both Sheep Creek and the North Fork. My question is do these trails go clear to the respective headwaters, can one reasonably cross over into the North Fork drainage from the Sheep Creek trail and most importantly are there huntable sheep populations in these areas. Any personal knowledge or insight that anyone would be willing to share would be greatly appreciated.

Default sheep creek north fork

The answer is both yes and no. The area where the north fork dumps into the Kaswitna is a huge sensetive issue as to who can access it, people have been threatened and in general it will not be resolved until someone either gets hurt or it goes to court. The general problem there is some one trying to controll a historic right away when the have no right to do it. The sheep creek trail follows the creek to above timber line. It is a very difficult trail, pretty rutted out. Once you get on the top it is flat beautiful and you can work your way down to where it drops into the north fork. The area is known for moose and bear, however there is a mountain range further back that a few sheep have come from. It is a long long way back there. There is also some sort of a home stead cabin that a guy lives in. He came out and just pointed at us and told us to keep moving. That cabin was near the bluff over looking the north fork. Moose and bear in the area is very good, Sheep would be marginal at best. Just my opinions accept for about the mouth that is based on first hand experience. Thanks Chef

Chef: Thanx for your reply. I have read many of your posts in the past regarding the "controversy" re: the North Fork of the Kashwitna, access, and fishing and should I elect to purchase the property in question will keep your advice/warning in mind. Either way I would like to consider trying to make it up the Sheep Creek trail but would wait til things dry out a bit and it cools off a bit hopefully making the trail more passable. It sounds pretty nice up top to hike around a bit and see what's there. I suspect the window to access the trail to the top between the firming up of the trail and significant snow on top will be small to nonexistent. Thanx for your input.