Thread: WACH Caribou Migration Video

Thumbs up WACH Caribou Migration Video

Hi folks,

A few years ago a friend and I were dropped off in the Arctic and had the chance to film a caribou migration. Anyway I am hoping to get the video out to folks this winter (it says available summer 2004 or something, but it's not ready). I've been too busy to kick it out the door just yet.

Anyway, for the time being I hope you enjoy the video outtake!

HERE'S THE LINK!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Awesome

Was up on the Noatak this time last year and watching this video is makin me melt right here in this chair..

Red face Wach

Great footage. Very few people get a chance to see that. I feel privileged to live up here and experience the caribou of the western Arctic. Good stuff.
    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Default Thanks!

Thanks, Walt! It was taken back in the Jim Rood days; you might recognize his Cessna 206 there.

Good hunting!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

good stuff indeed....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    Thanks, Walt! It was taken back in the Jim Rood days; you might recognize his Cessna 206 there.

Good hunting!

-Mike
    That 206 is still in the air but being floan by Jim Kincade.

Default Pilots and such--

Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska View Post
    That 206 is still in the air but being floan by Jim Kincade.
    Walt,

Do you remember Clyde? He flew with Jim Rood several years ago. Heckuva pilot. He'd been in an accident of some kind and had to wear a special shoe if I remember right. Anyway, he was great with both the Cub and the 206.

Also I remember a guy Jim hired, named "Louie". He was... ah.... interesting. He came to pick us up one year and arrived really early in the morning. We were not ready for pickup and were on a gravel bar that was too short for the 206. So he landed elsewhere and taxied to a location about 1,000 yards from our camp and asked us to carry everything over (we had six guys, many caribou, and of course two catarafts and all the trimmings). We suggested that he fly downriver and we'd meet him at the next gravel bar below the Kuguroruk. Well, he took off and landed UPRIVER about a mile... Needless to say we floated down to a good gravel bar and eventually he figured out that rafts float downstream. He came and got us. Normally I stand back and let the pilot load his own airplane, but Louie opened the side doors and wrangled a single caribou rack inside, turned around and, scratching his head, looked at our load and said, "Gee guys, that's a lot of stuff. I can't really get anything else in this plane; I'll be back in a couple of hours." Yes, he had ONE caribou rack in the 206. We just looked at each other and laughed, and then offered to assist. By the time we were done, Louie had a FULL load and we were out of there in short order. Funny stuff. I didn't see Louie back there the next year though... hmmm....

I have heard great things about Mr. Kinkade, by the way. Some of my hunters went with him this year. We need more like him.

Best regards,

-Mike

Default Another Caribou Video

Mike, Thanks for the Cariobou footage....I have attached a link to a video I shot in 2004 near Aniak. We had a herd come off the moutain and through camp mid week. No shooters but a lot of great memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_st00CQ1a4

Default Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
    Mike, Thanks for the Cariobou footage....I have attached a link to a video I shot in 2004 near Aniak. We had a herd come off the moutain and through camp mid week. No shooters but a lot of great memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_st00CQ1a4
    Thanks for sharing the footage! Looks like the outlet of the lake? I have been there a time or two... some years there are caribou and some years not. But it certainly is beautiful country in there. Did you float the river?

-Mike

Default Aniak Lake

We intended to float the river, however were beset by the low water and ended up running around the lake with a 12' raft and a tanaka. Hunt was a great time but not many animals other than thos eon the video. Great laker fishing at the outlet on the east side of the lake. We saw a fair amount of moose sign but never saw a hair. Found a number fo wolf killed caribou throughout our 9 days in camp.