Thread: 2009 6x6 Polaris ?

Default 2009 6x6 Polaris ?

Does anyone have one of those new 2009 Polaris 6x6 Big Boss machines. If so, what do you think of them. I have a 1998 that I might be selling in order to purchase one.

The dealers won't receive the new big boss until the end of the month.

This is the 800 shaft-drive big boss, I assume?

Yes, that would be the one. I'm not a Polaris fan but I'm very interested in buying this machine in a year or two.

I was looking to! I have a 1994, that just bit the dust this last trip out,Had a Short of some kind fryed the wireing from the motor to the dash. My Question is can you put a track kit on the new one,s? Also i see it weight about 1000lbs+ pounds, 10,000$ Wow I paid 5300, for mine.

No you cannot put a track kit on the new big boss and Polaris also discontinued production of their track kits. Why, I have no idea. The 08's are typically being priced by the dealers between $7500-$8000. I havn't found a dealer that will budge on the price. I keep hearing, "nope we will not lower our price because we always sell out of this model every year," type of bs. There's a dealer in town with 6 08's and I'm playing the waiting game hoping they will price them to move sometime soon. Otherwise I might have to wait for awhile and pick up a big boss when the time is right.

I just want to remind everyone considering the 2009 Big Boss, that the 800 is not designed for "Hunting" type use.

The 800 motor is a very hot motor and will overheat when going slow through the woods or towing a load. My 800 ATV couldn't even tow a meat trailer without overheating. I had (2) 800 Polaris ATV's and they both had poor fuel consumption and produced a lot of heat.

I have read about the overheating 800's and it seems many owners claim it's caused by mud packed between the radiator and fan. Supposedly there isn't much space the between the two. After a thoroughly spraying with a pressure washer it looks like the radiator is clean but in reality it is not. Maybe your overheating problems were caused by a different issue, I dont know.

For the record...my sportsman has not gotten hot even once since I put royal purple "purple ice" in my radiator, the stuff just works.

The way it looks to me is that they used the ranger style axles, Drive shafts, That would keep it from having the normal looking track kit on it.I,ve seen a metal looking one on the internet, comes in links. As stated before 800 is hard on fuel, and has history of overheating when being worked hard. 1060 Lbs puts over the limit on some of these trails up here also. Just to close to the ranger to me. Ranger can sit two side by side roof, nice seat.Ect...+ The first Yr. Model they bring somthing out like this,Well Let,s just say these will have some bug,s to work out.

Shaft drives are nice and really cool. Til you have to change one. It absolutely cannot be done in the field and in most home garages. Ask some of the mehanics in the shops, about the shafts they changed on the 800's, they do wear fairly quickly, break and leak too. Chains are a pretty simple deal to oil and adjust and change when required. High tech, no doubt about it, but is that what most Alsakans really need?

How many atvs now adays are shaft driven? Better yet name one 4x4 chain driven atv that was mfg'd in the past 10 years. That's a toughie... Shaft drives are proven, period.

I've seen only one atv have shaft problems on the trail. After I helped him pull the shaft he continued his trip while using the front tires in 4x4. You are more likely to have axle problems before a shaft ordeal.

It's really a catch 22. Deal with the grease zerks, chains, and low clearance, or axles, boots and shafts. If it's designed right I'll take the later any day, but will use the prior if the deal is right.