Thread: Regulating adjustable blackhawk sights

Default Regulating adjustable blackhawk sights

I have a Super Blackhawk that I have run several different 270-300 grain loads through, and with the rear sight adjusted all the way down, I'm still 6-8" high at 50 yds. So, wondering if I should file the rear sight down and hit it with cold blue or maybe try using a lighter weight bullet to bring the POI down, any thoughts? Kinda wanted to run 300 grain hardcast through this gun.

Default I have the same problem with 300 gr. rounds

.45 colt, only I"m about 4 to 5" high at 25 yards...I figure I'll just use Kentucky windage and shoot the gun at 50 yards to see where I'm at..Its got to have plenty of drop sooo I'll just keep putting back the target to see where I'm dead on and go from there...I have considered a Bowen sight or other after market rear sight but not sure if they have enough adjustment to make a differance...good luck P. S. I think you would want to file the front sight rather than the rear if you were to do that...

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    I have a Super Blackhawk that I have run several different 270-300 grain loads through, and with the rear sight adjusted all the way down, I'm still 6-8" high at 50 yds. So, wondering if I should file the rear sight down and hit it with cold blue or maybe try using a lighter weight bullet to bring the POI down, any thoughts? Kinda wanted to run 300 grain hardcast through this gun.
    Lighter bullets would drag the groups down, but if you want to shoot the heavies anyway, then sight work is in order. Before hacking on the rear sight though, I'd get a replacement blade from Ruger. Just to keep in case your filing produces results not useful with other bullet weights.

On the filing side, I'm fond of a particular needle file for adjusting the notches in traditional muzzleloader sights. It's very thin and "safe" or smooth on both of the wide surfaces. It only cuts on the thin sides, if that's clear. That makes it very easy to file the bottom of a notch without concerns of simultaneously widening the notch.

And yes, you DO want to be filing the rear sight rather than the front to drop your groups.

Default taller front sight

Depends on which model Blackhawk...

If the front sight is tapped with a screw, have Ruger put a taller one on there.

If the front sight is sweated on, have a local gunsmith install a taller one.

My Dad (chime in if you read this) buggered up a rear sight real good trying to make the notch deep enough to correct this same problem. Its much easier to have someone make the front sight taller....

Nate

Some guns don't have enough adjustment in the factory sight to give good point of impact with lower velocity of the heavier bullets. Slower bullets hit higher, then slower and heavier bullets hit higher still. The best solution if you can change the front sight is to use the Hamilton Bowen rugged country rear sight, but this still may not always work.

Lacking that and a very inexpensive way to adjust the Ruger rear is to take the steel blade out and file off a few thousandths off the bottom of it then reinstall and shoot. I've done this on several models and it works and doesn't alter the exterior look of the gun. This is the simpliest and cheapest solution. You can buy spare blades and compete rear sights for the B/H, R/H revolvers in case you over file the blade bottom.

Another aid is to load the 300 grain bullets to about 1100 fps and this will usually get on target with a normal six o'clock hold.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Update.

300 grain WFNGC beartooth bullets at 1200 has me 6-8" high at 50 yds, 270 grain golddots at the same speed brought it down a couple of inches. Tonight it was about dead on at 25 yds with some federal 240 JHP I had laying around. So I think I am going to pursue getting a taller front sight from ruger to have soldered on. In the mean time anyone know where I can get some quality 250 grain hardcast locally in South-central? Got a hunt coming soon in Oct, and kinda want to this ready to go. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TomM View Post
    300 grain WFNGC beartooth bullets at 1200 has me 6-8" high at 50 yds, 270 grain golddots at the same speed brought it down a couple of inches. Tonight it was about dead on at 25 yds with some federal 240 JHP I had laying around. So I think I am going to pursue getting a taller front sight from ruger to have soldered on. In the mean time anyone know where I can get some quality 250 grain hardcast locally in South-central? Got a hunt coming soon in Oct, and kinda want to this ready to go. Thanks.
    Cast Performance makes a good WFN plain base hard cast. I use a lot of them in the 44 special guns. It should be a winner for you.

You can order them directly from CP or from Graf & Son, Mexico Missouri.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Ended up ordering from Beartooth. Hopefully I'll have them before my deer hunt in Oct. I called Ruger and they are sending me out a new taller front sight for free. Thanks all for the help.

Default Lowering point of aim

If you are trying to lower your group at any distance
    you want to raise the rear sight not lower it.

If you are trying to raise your group you lower the rear
    which by effect raises the front sight when aligned

Quote Originally Posted by Garboman View Post
    If you are trying to lower your group at any distance
    you want to raise the rear sight not lower it.

If you are trying to raise your group you lower the rear
    which by effect raises the front sight when aligned
    That seems bassackwards to me but it is still early. Try this.

Move the rear sight the direction you want the group to go.....ever heard that?

Raise rear sight, raise your POI.
    Raise front sight, lower your POI.

Remember the front sight of the M-16? Why am I raising the dang front sight to make this thing shoot lower...because the seargent says so!

Also interesting thing about big bore revolvers. Heavy slower bullets cause the gun to shoot higher than light weight faster bullets. Seems it should be the opposite. But....the gun begins to recoil when the bullet starts to move. The muzzle begins to climb and continues to turn upward until after the bullet leaves the barrel. (Then it's momentum causes it to flip even higher but to no effect on the bullets path.) Heavy bullets have more recoil and are slower, which means the heavy bullet is in the barrel longer. It has more time to push the barrel up and it pushes harder because the bullet is heavier. Heavy slower bullets exit a more elevated barrel than do lighter faster bullets. I think this is called barrel dwell time. The longer it is the higher the point of impact for a handgun.

This principle applies to a rifle too but the dynamics of it are different and we generally shoot at longer ranges and the effects of gravity counter this POI change.

Default No winder I keep missin

My mistake I stand corrected

No wonder I keep missing with this pistol