Thread: Moving to Palmer.

Default Moving to Palmer.

My family and I are relocating to Palmer...hopefully. I am very excited about this move because we will be able to ride the quads every day. The house that we are planning to rent is surrounded by ATV trails and there are ton's of ditch trails along most of the main roads. The house is located at "gold creek cir at gold bullion." I am wondering if anybody knows if there are any trails that connection this location to Jim Creek? I would also like to know of anybody has any suggested trails in that area?

Hi Jesse,

If you are talking about the "Gold Bouillon" that is on the Palmer Fishhook rd. up toward Hatchers Pass, I can help get you on some trails. It is quite a way to Jim Creek area from there though. You would have to ride the ditches most of the way there.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse27 View Post
    My family and I are relocating to Palmer...hopefully. I am very excited about this move because we will be able to ride the quads every day. The house that we are planning to rent is surrounded by ATV trails and there are ton's of ditch trails along most of the main roads. The house is located at "gold creek cir at gold bullion." I am wondering if anybody knows if there are any trails that connection this location to Jim Creek? I would also like to know of anybody has any suggested trails in that area?
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Hi Jesse,

If you are talking about the "Gold Bouillon" that is on the Palmer Fishhook rd. up toward Hatchers Pass, I can help get you on some trails. It is quite a way to Jim Creek area from there though. You would have to ride the ditches most of the way there.
    Thats the area. Are you from that area?

I used to live off of New Hope (just sold this spring). I don't have time now, but I will send you a PM with some trail info.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Just in case we don't get this place, what sources do you recommend for finding a place out there?

My wife used Apartment Finder and Craigslist to find our old place. The valley has really taken to Craigslist for it's advertising and it is probably your best bet. I grew up running the trails out in the Hatchers area. You will have plenty of areas to ride! I found old trails out there that let me get way back into the Buffalo Mine, nearly every weekend of my youth was spent tearing around back there on dirt bikes and wheelers. My older cousin would drag both myself and his little brother on snowboards behind a xr80 all winter on all the snowmachine trails. It was quite a sight seeing an 80cc dirt bike pulling two boarders behind it! I only have sleds at the moment but when I finish rebuilding my kids wheelers and get couple for the wife and I we will be out there riding around from our place near Colony High. I knew trails as a kid that would let me get from Buffalo mine to Church road north of wasilla with almost no ditch banging. There are also a bunch of trails out along the Little Su to explore. Sorry to ramble but I much prefer the riding out there over Knik, No ANC idiots blazing away with rifles in random directions.. Lots of wooded trail riding and no silt.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    My wife used Apartment Finder and Craigslist to find our old place. The valley has really taken to Craigslist for it's advertising and it is probably your best bet. I grew up running the trails out in the Hatchers area. You will have plenty of areas to ride! I found old trails out there that let me get way back into the Buffalo Mine, nearly every weekend of my youth was spent tearing around back there on dirt bikes and wheelers. My older cousin would drag both myself and his little brother on snowboards behind a xr80 all winter on all the snowmachine trails. It was quite a sight seeing an 80cc dirt bike pulling two boarders behind it! I only have sleds at the moment but when I finish rebuilding my kids wheelers and get couple for the wife and I we will be out there riding around from our place near Colony High. I knew trails as a kid that would let me get from Buffalo mine to Church road north of wasilla with almost no ditch banging. There are also a bunch of trails out along the Little Su to explore. Sorry to ramble but I much prefer the riding out there over Knik, No ANC idiots blazing away with rifles in random directions.. Lots of wooded trail riding and no silt.
    That is exactly what what I wanted to here! We should here from one, of the two, places we applied to today. I have my fingers crossed and can't wait to explore the area from my front yard. What was I thinking...living in Anchorage!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse27 View Post
    That is exactly what what I wanted to here! We should here from one, of the two, places we applied to today. I have my fingers crossed and can't wait to explore the area from my front yard. What was I thinking...living in Anchorage!
    I lived in Anchorage for 7 years until the wife and I got tired of the noise, traffic, and light pollution...We moved to Palmer back in 2002. It was the best thing we have ever done. I have at least 50 miles of trails 300 yards from my driveway. You will love it in the valley. With the recent addition of Lowes, Home Depot, Chili's, Sportsman Warehouse, and Target (opens Oct 12th) there is no reason to go into Anchorage anymore. Wasilla has seen the benefit of commercial growth and Palmer has taken advantage of that growth without loosing it's small town charm. Palmer is the perfect place to be right now. Welcome the the neighborhood!
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

I would also add anything north of East Seldon on Wasilla fish hook. I purchased a couple wheelers from some people that live near Tex-Al drive and they went for rides as a family almost daily. I know for a fact that there is a powerline easment that connects Tex-Al to a neighborhood on palmer fish hook very close to the hatchers pass service station. From there you can top off and spend an entire weekend exploring trails around Bufalo Mine. Or you can go the other direction and hit the Little Su like I said earlier. I agree with what Mud said about palmer (I live in Palmer) but if you have little ones the new schools (middle &elementary) up fish hook are fantastic.
    Are you going to be commuting to ANC or working in the valley? If you are commuting then Palmer is hard to beat. I would eliminate Knik Goose Bay on the wasilla side from the list of possible areas to go mainly because the commute from that side is KILLER though there are alot of trails out there as well.

Got a place around mile 6 on Fish Hook rd.. Moving around the 5th. We can not wait!!!!!

I live off KGB, well actually off Fairview Loop maybe a mile. Not a bad commute, I would like to know of some local trails though. Whenever I want to ride I have to haul the ATV somewhere or ride the ditches. Any ideas? I love living away from the city and will deal with the gas expense rather than move into or closer.