Thread: Telling Bullets apart

Default Telling Bullets apart

I have a weird question, I have tried to research myself but cannot find any info.

I have different types of bullets that I have gotten without knowing what they are, I received a bunch of 300 win mag bullets that are mixed together, a firnd whose father passed away gave these to me, he doesn't hunt. Mostly they are federal but I have some winchester and remington mixed in. Is there a way to tell them apart. I have figured out some of them due to the tips such as the nosler accubond. I have some that have a hollw tip, I am not sure how to tell these apart.

Also wondering about grain. On the bottom of the casing some have a red ring surrounding the primer, I know the ones I have purchased in 180 have these. Does federal do this to tell the grains apart.

Not planning to hunt with these as I have certain ones I use, just curious and wouldn't trying some out for accuracy in my rifle if I knew what they were

Any help or info or places to find the info would be greatly appreciated.

Eric

Show some pictures. I am always having to guess my bullets when I get them mixed together.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default telling bullets apart

You could seperate them by the type of bullet, then pull one of each and weigh it. You would at least have the weight, but maybe not the brand. I would just use them as practice ammo, and hunt with what I know the gun shoots well, using what I know is a quality bullet.

Jake

Quote Originally Posted by unbwoodsmen View Post
    I have a weird question, I have tried to research myself but cannot find any info.

I have different types of bullets that I have gotten without knowing what they are, I received a bunch of 300 win mag bullets that are mixed together, a firnd whose father passed away gave these to me, he doesn't hunt. Mostly they are federal but I have some winchester and remington mixed in. Is there a way to tell them apart. I have figured out some of them due to the tips such as the nosler accubond. I have some that have a hollw tip, I am not sure how to tell these apart.

Also wondering about grain. On the bottom of the casing some have a red ring surrounding the primer, I know the ones I have purchased in 180 have these. Does federal do this to tell the grains apart.

Not planning to hunt with these as I have certain ones I use, just curious and wouldn't trying some out for accuracy in my rifle if I knew what they were

Any help or info or places to find the info would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
    It seems obvious you are talking about loaded ammo (cartridges) not bullets so this should be quite simple to sort if you have a loading scale. Something tells me you do not, and if not you cannot seperate different bullet weights.

First sort by headstamp. Obviously the R-P head stamp ammo is different from the F C head stamped ammo. Then further sort by appearance of the bullet (that's the lead part at the pointy end) nose. Those that look the same put together. Then weigh everyone of the cartridges and put those together by weight. Put those that are within a few grains of each other together in a ziplock bag and sight in with those from the same bag. Those that are about 30 grains different weight are 150 grains and 180 grain loads (that is just bullet weight). Those that are twenty grains different are most likely 180 grain and 200 grain loads. Etcetera...etcetera.

Now you will have all the soft point spitzers of the same weight in one bag, you will have the all copper bullets, the round nose design and whatever all sorted by weight and you'll be good to go. Shoot them only in guns marked with the same caliber designation as the cartridge.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Might be a little tricky weighing them because the powder charge for the rounds can vary up to 10 grains as well.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".