Thread: Scope suggestion

Default Scope suggestion

New to rifles/scopes. Just got a Tikka T3 stainless .270. Looking for a lightweight scope, variable power such as 3-9x. Any suggestions. Did a search but way too many hits when looking for "scope". Looking at all the models available by Leupold, Burris, etc is mind numbing. Haven't decided on any one price range. Also, I have read here and on other sources that the scope rings aren't that great. What makes a good scope ring? Thanks for any help.

Talley light weight rings are the way to go.

Best value: Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9x40

Best all around: Leupold VX II 3-9x40

Default Ditto

Talley rings are very good, and IMO Leupold are the best scope going for the money vs quality.

oz
    il vaut mieux Ítre bon que la chance

There are many good scopes on the market but I can safely say, you will NOT GO WRONG with a Leupold - the 2.5 x 8 would be an excellent choice but there are many others to choose from which are comprobable...or better according to some. Good luck.

Did someone already mentioned Talley's?

Default Older

IMO, Leupold gives the best "bang for the buck" of any optics maker. I think the VX-II is adequate for the average hunter - probably better than the VX-III considering the price (although I have both). In fact, I'm still using the VariX-II that I bought new in 1971 (no mis-print). It has never been anything but great.

While the 2.5 x 8 may be great for now, as you get older the 3 x 9 may be a better choice.

Thanks for all the suggestions. looks like for the price, the Leupold VX-II 3-9x40 is the best buy. the VX-III is in 3.5-10x40 and it $150 more. So i was looking at the VX-II, and there are various choice of reticles:

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...x-ii-3-9x40mm/

Was looking at the LR Duplex reticle. Any thoughts?

Looked into the Talley rings as well:

http://www.talleyrings.com/lightweight.php

As you scroll down, you get to the options for the Tikka T3, they come in 30 mm and 1" and then Low, Medium, or High.
    If I had a 40 mm scope, I would need the Low, but not sure what to make of the 30 mm and 1" dimensions? not sure what that refers to.

Anyone have any issue with the Tikka issued rings?

Thanks again!

thanks for all the input. figured out answers to my question on 30 mm vs 1 inch. ended up going with a burris 30 mm 3-9x40mm scope. talleys rings for the 30 mm tube. decent price on it versus a leupold. being my first scope, seemed like a reasonable choice for me. thanks again.