Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holster Recomendation

Default Holster Recomendation

I have a S&W 629 .44, with a 3" barrel. I've been using a nylon holster, but I would like to get a leather one. I would like one that I can carry on my right side (strong side?), as well as cross draw.

The problem is I can only find holsters like this for 4" barrels. Any recomendations for one that is made for a 3" barrel? I'll probably go with a Simply Rugged, but I want to see what all is out there.

I appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

I think you are right on track with Simply Rugged (other good ones too I'm sure). I've had my simply rugged for a couple of months now & really like it. Quality, crafstmanship, & fit are all excellent!.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Hands down, for leather work talk with David Johnston in Chugiak. If he doesn't have what you need in stock, he will fabricate it.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

AKmud - Do you know what these typically go for? My guess is around $150 or so???

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Hands down, for leather work talk with David Johnston in Chugiak. If he doesn't have what you need in stock, he will fabricate it.

Default Not that much

I'd say that is double what Rob Leahy of Simply rugged would charge, depending on any impressed decoration and David Johnston is a little more.

I don't remember what he charges for the Guides Choice, but I don't think it was that much ($150..). He also offers it in a camo model now that has a camo pattern imprinted on the leather which is really cool. Next time I see him I'll get more info.
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I've seen pictures of David Johnstons work and they look good but I don't have one. I do have a Simply Rugged Pancake for my 3" 629 and I am completely satisfied. Inexpensive and performs as advertised.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    I've seen pictures of David Johnstons work and they look good but I don't have one. I do have a Simply Rugged Pancake for my 3" 629 and I am completely satisfied. Inexpensive and performs as advertised.
    Can yours be worn cross-draw? Also, do you have a picture with your 629 in it, that you can post? I've checked out his website, but I would like to see what people are using. That would be really helpfull!

Thanks!

I'm packing a blackhawk, not a 629, but I have the dual slots in my Sourdough Pancake so it can be warn strong side or crossdraw. I wore it crossdraw thru bow hunting season & it was out of the way, yet readily accessible.
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Dave Johnston +1

Got one of his for my 500 and love it hands down.

Both are really nice, I've got the Guides Choice for my Ruger Bisley. I wore it last hunting season, on the wheeler and hiking, its very comfortable. It likes to ride right in the middle of my chest though, and I'd prefer it to be off to the side a little, but its not a big deal.
    This year my wife had Rob at Simply Rugged make his Sourdough Pancake for my 6" 1911. He told her it was only the 2nd he had made for a longslide. It is also very comfy, the gun fits great, retention is good as well. I wore it all this season and am very happy with it.
    I think the Guides Choice will allow you to carry a heavier gun more comfortably, and the Sourdough Pancake stays out of the way (unless you are wearing a pack).

Default Ah HA!

Tenmm, so your the guy:-)

David Johnston builds excellent leather, I recommend him to a lot of folks, he's linked off of my website and he has really helped me in my own leather business.
    I make a chest conversion system that allows you to convert the pancake hip holster to chest carry.
    Rob
    simplyrugged.com

Following up on what Tenmm said (Gee, what caliber is that 1911 :-) ?), my simply rugged pancake was worn on my pants belt (a lined pistol belt)crossdraw UNDER my backpach waist belt with no problems. It had the backpach belt over it almost every time it was worn. I didn't want a chest type bacause I use a bino harness on my chest when bowhunting & the two would clang together, along with the gun maybe interfeering with the bow string. Once I get my back pack & binos on, I don't want more straps on my chest.
    Vance in AK.

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions. Now it's just decision time!

hey akmud; thanks for the tip on the guides choice by david johnston of chugiak. we usually carry belt guns when packing out meat, but standard belt holsters can be uncomfortable (and hard to reach). i checked his web site and certainly admired his work. after a very friendly conversation ordered the guides choice for my 329pd .44 for my elk hunt.
    jh

No problem, I have spent a lot of time in his shop and he does great work. He has done several various repairs for me, I bought three Leatherman sheaths, and he fabricated a new design holster for my father in law's Savage Stryker from scratch. The new camo patterns he is offering look pretty cool! I'm saving up my $$ to buy one for my 629 .44 mag.

Quote Originally Posted by pinehavensredrocket View Post
    hey akmud; thanks for the tip on the guides choice by david johnston of chugiak. we usually carry belt guns when packing out meat, but standard belt holsters can be uncomfortable (and hard to reach). i checked his web site and certainly admired his work. after a very friendly conversation ordered the guides choice for my 329pd .44 for my elk hunt.
    jh
    AKmud

Camo pattern for a holster? But how will you find your six shooter when you need it most?

I was just thinking what a hoot it would be to make a Guides Choice for momma and her 340PD Barry picking special.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I bought one of David's holsters yesterday for my Ruger Alaskan at Boondock's and it cost $129.95. I also tried finding his shop, but didn't see any signage driving up Big Sky. Is it on the left side going up the hill? I would like him to embelish the holster with a bear paw.

Wyatt

Quote Originally Posted by Wyatt View Post
    I bought one of David's holsters yesterday for my Ruger Alaskan at Boondock's and it cost $129.95. I also tried finding his shop, but didn't see any signage driving up Big Sky. Is it on the left side going up the hill? I would like him to embelish the holster with a bear paw.

Wyatt
    I don't remember the name of the road that his shop is on, but you take the N. Birchwood exit and head toward the mountain. Turn left on the Old Glenn and take your first right on Needels loop. Go straight all the way to the end and it will make a right hand turn. Go another 200 yds or so and you will see a small sign on the left that says "Leather Shop". He has a shop attached to his house.

Check out the miniature saddles when you are in there, waaay cool.
    AKmud

Thanks for the directions. I called first, but nobody answered at his shop. I thought I might like a snap enclosure over the hammer instead of the loop system that might hang up when in a hurry to draw. Good quality no doubt!

Wyatt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast