Thread: Anyone load 275 grain slugs in 350 REM MAG?

Default Anyone load 275 grain slugs in 350 REM MAG?

I have loaded 200s, 220s, 225s, and 250s. The 250s don't seem to group to well, although I managed to get them going 2,530 from a Ruger M77MKII.

BUT,,, I was thinking about trying some 275 grain Barnes slugs I have in my reloading room.

Anyone ever try 275s in a 350 rem mag ?
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I've shot 280 gr cast bullets, but haven't tried the heavy jacketed bullets.

I still think the 225 tsx is about as good as it gets in the 350, so long as your rifle likes to shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I've shot 280 gr cast bullets, but haven't tried the heavy jacketed bullets.

I still think the 225 tsx is about as good as it gets in the 350, so long as your rifle likes to shoot them.
    My Ruger shoots them pretty well so I hope you are right LOL!!!

Default 250s best all around

I used a mauser actioned 35 Whelen for years when homesteading. I'd had a 700 Rem BDL in 350 Rem Mag previously. I found the 250 grain bullet to be the best all around weight for that cartridge as well as the 35 Whelen, using the 250 gr. spirepoint Hornady Interlock almost exclusively in the Whelen. This bullet weight seemed the best balanced for both. In the Whelen, it always worked with good shock power and excellent penetration on moose and black bear, as well as in the 350 on black bear and wild pigs in California. I tried the 275 Barnes when first load testing in both cartridges, but concluded that the extra weight at a slightly lower velocity added nothing to the terminal performance of the 250s. I was pushing them at about 2450-60 fps in the Whelen and about 100 fps faster in the 350 Rem Mag. These fine medium caliber cartridges don't need highest velocity to perform well.

My 358 Norma mag prefers the 250s over the 225s. So far, my Ruger 350 rem Mag seems to like the 220 and 225s.

I just bought a box of 225 grain accubonds to see how they work.

I may also goof around with a couple more loads with the 250s I have left. The velocity is fine at 2,500 for a 250 grain, but I need to get them to group better.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com