Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to judge 50 inches

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

Default how to judge 50 inches

i am heading moose hunting and need to know what the best way to judge a 50 inch moose is other then running up to it and putting a tape to him, i am good but not that good. the unit i am going to be in is a 50 inch or 4 brow tin unit. thanks for the help

Unless I think it is 60" it needs enough brow tines. Typically the way I judge is by multiplying the space between the antler bases. The distance across the head from antler base to antler base on a big moose is typically 7.5", I also just say 7" to be safe. So if you can take that space and multiply it by 3 on each side then it is at least 49". If your 'eye judgment' isn't good then don't even tempt yourself..
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

do you hunt with mil-dot reticle? then it pretty easy with a 50" stick at different yardages..meters.

Get the video put out by Fish and Game titled "Is This Bull Legal?" When in doubt, don't shoot.

Default Simple

Count the brow tines - takes all the guesswork out of the project.

What Brian, Phil, & Dman said! The video is well worth watching. Twice. I have my own copy & watch it every year.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Smile Same here

I agree with DMan. Figure a head width of 7 inches. Pick a spot on the antler and figure how many head widths that is. Keep doing that untill you know you have over 3 head widths on one side, then press the trigger!

Default Look at a lot of moose-

The best way to judge 50" spreads is to look at a LOT of moose. That's not a smart aleck answer; it's true! Any time you see a moose rack, try to judge the spread and then ask the owner what it measured. Eventually you will become better at it. There are other tricks, such as the average distance between antler bases, eartip spread averages, etc, but they are not reliable.

As Brian said, if you are not sure, don't shoot. Go by brow tine count if you are not sure. The ADFG video is excellent, by the way, and I recommend watching it every fall before you head afield.

There are no short cuts with this. It takes time. And even when you "know what you're doing" you will make mistakes (hopefully on the conservative side). I have accurately judged spread to the inch from three miles away (yes, I really did), and flubbed up at 45 yards. Some moose have body sizes that are out of proportion to their antler spread. I have harvested several that appeared to be around 45", because they had huge bodies. It was an "any bull" area, and so we shot the moose and discovered in at least two cases that the antlers measured 60". Go figure.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

There is a range finder out that will do it but I have not heard any reports on if it works or not. The last few years I have been strictly archery hunting so I have to be close and I carry a range finder. It took a little while but I figured out that at 20 yards 50" will fill the sight ring on my bow, 30 yards between the 2 vibration dampners on top of my sight, 40 yards the distance between the sight pins. If there is any doubt don't shoot unless he has the brow tines.

Just remember........the rack shrinks about 5" as soon as the moose hits the ground!
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Hey Phil,

Did you shoot that moose pictured in your avatar by size or brow points? He looks plenty legal!

Default To Nmiller

When they are 61 inches & 80 yards, counting brow tines isn't necessary although I did. Had 4 on one side & 5 on the other.

I was trying to be helpful on the "near legal" ones - the big ones are not usually a problem.

BTW, that one had a broken tine that, if not missing, would have increased tht spread to around 65 inches. My son accuses me of always picking animals with rotten dispositions - broken tines from fighting. He may be right.

Default Look at the beams...

The distance between eyeballs doesn't help me; I've never been able to tell 7" at 1/2 mile with a spotting scope! I look at the beams. If the beams are level, (or better yet) slope a little downward and then back up you may probably have a 50 incher on your hands. If the beams are "V" shaped, he's not going to be 50". I also look at the brow tines; it doesn't have to have 3-4 to be 50". A few of the 50inchers I shot had two HUGE brow tines on each side-10-14 inches per brow tine. That may be a local genetic thing where I hunt though, I don't know.

x3, watch the "Is this moose legal" adf&g video, it helps a lot too.

Tim

I had just asked this same question and addressed to one Alaska's foremost guides. The answer was a vary simple answer. Here is the easy answer.

Each ear is 12", the space between the ears is 10". You judge after this known distance per side for the total.

So then what we want to know is how much do we judge beyond this 34". Do we see 16" or more? Does the rack go 8" or more per side beyond each ear? Not a lot to judge is it, the 8" of horn beyond each side of the ears.

Now the three brow tine rule per side is rather self explanatory.

This explanation sure made me slap my forehead for all the bulls I've passed on over the years.

Not much to commit to memory, with this trick. Maybe this is why he makes the big bucks?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Antler judging...

Don't know if this is really the right spot for this but I would enjoy (and find it helpful) if there were some pictures put on here with known sizes hidden so we can all look and make our pitch as to the size. Then after a couple hours or so, the size can be reposted by the owner of the antlers. I'll start with hopes that others will follow.

Reference your guesses to wasillaguy in case others join in on this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Width guess?

Wasillaguy,

Have yet to moose hunt, coming to AK in 2010 for a float hunt, but my father shot several moose during the 50's, 60's, and 70's. I look at antlers
    often and try to guess spreads for practice. I'm quessing yours to be 59"
    to 61".

Default Wasillaguy

61" Somewhere arround there

Default Moose pick

Another one for you to guess.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Wassilaguy

I'm guessin 57 and 3/4. Is the skull plate intact still?
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Default Wasillaguy

I'm guessing 63" on Wassilaguy's.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast