Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Wolf

Default First Wolf

Couple of weeks ago I took three friend from Texas up to the north slope caribou hunting. About halfway through the hunt we had found a valley that was about an hour hike out from the road. We had seen a lot of caribou in this valley the previous few days and liked the remoteness as we left the rest of the hunters at the road. As we climbed to the top of a small hill to glass the valley one of my buddies noticed something white out in the valley floor. After glassing with our binoculars we saw that it was actually two wolves on a caribou kill. These guys from Texas had never seen wolves before and were in awe of these animals ripping apart a caribou carcass. I had never seen this before either. After watching for a couple of minutes one of them turned to me and asked if we could shoot them. I told him that I could with my resident license but they needed tags for them. The thought haden't really passed through my mind yet. After he said that though I told him how smart woves were and how many times i had tried to cal them in and had never had any luck. But we did not see any caribou around se we decided to give it a try. The kill they were on was behind a small hill and we thought we might be able to use that to our advantage and get within 40 yard of them hopefully. As we worked our way down the hill towards the pair they began to lose interest in their kill. First one and then the other left the kill and started heading up the hill in our general direction. By this time we were about 300 yards away and down wind. As the pair went behind a small rise we remembered that one of the Texas guys had a small predator call in his pocket left in his jacket from coyote hunting. Whent he pair went behind the hill he started to wail on the call. Sortly after the pair both came running to the top of the hill they were behind. Both at full attention. We all three sat very still. We were on concealed by a smal rise in the terrain. After a few breif moments they started workin our way. The white one circled up around us and the black one walked right towards us. The white wolf circled to within 50 yards of us and never looked our way. While the black wolf was slightly behind he was heading straight towards us. At about 80 yards he went behind a small rise and we could only see his year bouncing along behind the hill. As he came to the end of the rise I was able to draw before he made it over the rise. As he crested the rise I was there at full draw, 28 yards away. I held steady on his chest and squeezed off my release. At the sound of my bow he turned to leave, but not before the arrow caught him. The shot was a little far back but it did the job. He spun arround in circles a few times and took off. We found him 70 yards down the hill. I have been trying to get a wolf since back in highschool and since i came to fairbanks for college I have had a couple of run ins with them but never managed to shoot one. I was so excited that my first wolf was with a bow. Here are some pictures of him. It was a young male by the looks of things.

What a trophy! Nice job. It is even sweeter that it was with a bow.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Now that is a story!!! Congrats

I see you have some of the new sitka gear, how is it holding up for you?

Great job and congrats. You played that one out perfect. Great story. What are you going to do with the hide? Full mount?

Awesome story.... so awesome that if you would have broken it up into several paragraphs, then I would have lost interest and stopped reading!

Just jokin' man, great job! I'de love to take a wolf! You'd be hard pressed to do that again without lots of effort!

- Clint
    /_|o[____]o
    [1---L-OllllllO-
    ()_)()_)==)_)

Congratulations...and with a bow no less. Quite awesome.

I gave it to the tannery here in fairbanks for a tan job. Full mount would have been cool but can not afford one. They have done an awesome job on other animals i have given them so hope this one turns out the same.

The sitka gear is nice but doesn't seem to be very durable. I have the 07' 90% jacket and love it and then I have the nimbus jacket as well. Bought the nimbus in august and sent it back first week of september. Three hunts in august and the seams had all started to come unsealed. Sent it back and they sent me a new one. Just got the new one in the mail today. Other than that I love my 90% and mountain pants.

Very cool!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

That is great! Thanks for sharing.

Last time I went up the Haul Road we spotted a wolf just on the other side of the creek right before climbing to the top of Atigun Pass. I spent about 20 minutes stalking him with my bow. Unfortunately, I was about 10 seconds too late getting into position and he busted me. I was within 50 yards, but at a quick trot I didn't want to take the chance of making a bad shot. How cool that you were able to actually connect.

Default Very nice!

Taking any wolf by gun is a challenge, but by a bow INCREDIBLE once in a life time opportunity
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Awesome man, congrats! That's arguably the hardest animal to get with a bow.

I just got back my wolf that I gave to Al in October of 2006, so it might be a while before you see him again. You are right though, he does good work with the predators.

That is absolutely spectacular. I wonder how many people have shot one with a bow? Probably not many.

Default Wolf!

That is way cool. Very few people kill a wolf with a bow out of a stand or off a kill. For you to have done it with a predator call while he is on FULL alert is just incredible. Way to go and my hats off to you.

Phil in Anchorage

That is just awesome with a bow .
    Congrats are at hand.
    If I send you a cloth will you touch it and send it back to me ?? I will carry it on my next hunt, you have the touch man !!!

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Very cool.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Awesome, Congrats. Thanks for the story.

Default Congrats

Nice! I'm still looking for my first one!

Congrats on an awesome kill!!

Congrats on bagging a wolf, with a bow! That's something special! Thanks for the story and pics!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast