Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Don't eat the mushrooms

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

Default Don't eat the mushrooms

No matter how hungry you might get out on the trail for a few days...dont eat anything that you "think" will "probably" be o.k. This could lead to a painful death. Last Sunday night, I was turning in my sleeping bag and was feeling a little too hungry to fall asleep. I knew of a spot just a short distance away from my shelter where some white mushrooms were growing in the days shade. So, I got up and wandered to where they were, picked a half dozen that were about 2" across the cap, and ate just a couple thinking I'd save the rest for breakfast. About 1/2 hour later I felt a "flake" like irritation in my throat and tried to cough it away to no avail. Ten minutes later I vomited, I thought "There, that's up and over." But it wasn't, not by a long shot. I started to hike toward a phone, and an hour later 911 had dispatched an ambulance to my location and within 1/2 hour they arived. I was released from the hospitial last night...grateful. I haven't researched these things to see exactly what they do to our system but from what the Doc said was that an emzine of toxin races through us and begins to shut down out major organs, like the heart,liver, and kidneys...and it don't take long. By the third time I vomited which was about 5 minutes following the first, all that came up was blood and bile...very scarry, my body just kind of twisted with each session...it's just not pretty. Anyway, hope my lesson might save some lives of all who enjouy our great outdoors

Glad to hear you're alright.

I have a mushroom guide, and know some of the good and bad varieties, but generally don't eat them. Also it's a good idea to cook them.

I stick with blueberries, pretty tough eat the wrong variety.

Default mushrooms

I thought there would be a picture of perfect expansion or something....
    Does anyone else find a little humor here? Now that you'll be ok, of course.

Wow--that's pretty scary. Good to hear it didn't turn out any worse than it was.

Mike

358wsm,
    I'm sure we're all glad you're going to be Ok but I have a question.

What would possibly posses you to eat a mushroom that you weren't ABSOLUTELY sure was safe?

I am not not slamming you here. It just strikes me that you ignorred common sense for a minute. Thank goodness you had the presence of mind to get help and the strength to make it to a phone.

Personally, I can ID two varieties of mushrooms--Morels and Boletes. Sure there are others but these are the two I'm dead-sure about so these are the two I stick to. Out in the boonies, far from help, is the LAST place to experiment with wild foods.

Let this be a lesson to us all. If you don't know what it is, don't eat it.

northern n.y. and much of the eastern U.S.

BTK, I think the cops that responded were looking for a little something too,LOL. But yes it is "sort" of comical, except my stomach is still flopping around like a beached trout. Foolish..? Yes. Never again!

You are fortunate that you were not way out in the wilderness and was able to get help fairly quick or it would have been all over. I am so glad that you are ok. Yep, I don't eat them unless they are at the store.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Glad you're OK, you got very lucky.
    There is one type of mushroom in particular called an Aminita (sp?) It comes in a couple of toxisities. The worst will kill you in about 10 days and it does not matter if they manage to pump your stomach or not. It is likend to be one of the most painful ways to die. You know those pretty red mushrooms with the white dots? Meet one of the Aminitas.
    That being said, there are about 200 varities of mushrooms that are either good or benign and only about 10-14 that are deadly. Most of the bad ones have some physical characteristics that can tip you off. A "death ring" fluted ribs, etc.
    I know I can identify four that are good. Guess how many I eat.

Many that aren't strictly poisonous can cause liver damage. In some the toxins cook away, some not. I have hunted for morels (the real ones have a hollow stem) and may go after chantrelles one day. To be honest I enjoy the finding more than the eating.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default This should be posted over on the Safety and Survival Forum.

Thanks for the reminder:

I read SOMEWHERE, if you are needing food to survive, don't eat mushrooms, because there is too little food value in them to be worth the risk of getting a poison one.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default Aminita Muscaria

can be lots of fun.. just ask alice..
    Chris

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 358wsm View Post
    ......I haven't researched these things.....
    .....I have a mushroom guide, and know some of the good and bad varieties, but generally don't eat them. Also it's a good idea to cook them.

I stick with blueberries, pretty tough eat the wrong variety.
    Once, while the wife was sleeping in the cab of the swampbuggy and I was glassing for caribou, I saw some mushrooms. I had a copy of Ben Guild's "Alaskan Mushroom Hunter's Guide" with me. I got the book, examined the mushrooms, determined them to be quite edible, plucked one, made sure there were no bugs, popped it into my mouth, and began to chew.

I never swallowed the mouthful. Before I got that far my entire mouth began to "tingle". Before I could spit it out, my mouth began to sting.

I immediately washed my mouth out with a beer from the cooler (spitting it out with each swig and swirl, which I consider quite a sin).

It took nearly a half hour for my mouth to feel normal again. The whole while I was trying to imagine my wife driving the buggy out while I was sick.

I never tried that again.............

2 cautionary tales

1) Back in Michigan a family that had been hunting mushrooms for years that lived near us was found dead in the woods after making a misidentification! The were killed so quickly it looked like they had fallen mid meal.

2) A friend of mine spent 10 years cataloging and identifying mushrooms for Washington state, he wont eat a mushroom from the store that hasn't been cooked!

And a scary one, when I was guiding for white water Kayaking I had a client who just seemed off. As I was doing a final check before entering a really hairy section of river he leans over and says "Maybe I shouldn't have eaten all my shrooms I don't think I can handle this." I had to call and have him airlifted out.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Stout View Post
    can be lots of fun.. just ask alice..
    Chris
    Yeah, I like the one that will make you small

But seriously, glad the guy was ok.

wow you really lucked out, glad your ok, when yoru feeling better have one of these!

Semper Fi!

Mark

Regarding mushroom misidentification, there are the "Foolproof Four" and the "Fatal Five".

The foolproof four are pretty easy to identify, but as for all the others, I won't try them again unless I'm in a place where an ambulance can pick me up rather quickly..........

WOW I'm sure glad your OK. I see the mushroooms all the time but I'm not brave enough to eat the wild ones. Only store bought on a pizza.

Morels are the only ones I'll eat. I don't believe in taking unnecessary chances!! Glad all turned out OK!
    EricL

theres a guy at my work from the ukraine. He said his family was out picking mushrooms alot this fall.

The way they test to make sure they picked safe ones is to boil them with an onion. If the onion turns black they dont eat them.

Man,
    now you are freaking me out! I pick edible mushrooms every chance I get. I have been doing this for many years and am pretty sure of the seven types that I will eat. Big rule ...Don't eat the LBM's ...Little Brown Mushrooms and always cook the edible mushroom well. Though I have never had any issues picking and eating them, you now have me going back over my mushroom ID book. A week ago I did enjoy a large helping of shaggy Manes scrambled with eggs. Dang, it don't get much better then that.

I am really glad you are doing well! Your mistake got us all thinking and that's not a bad thing.

Take care!
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast