Thread: Black Bears in PWS

Default Black Bears in PWS

Looking at giong next weekend in search of Blackies....any suggestions on places or bays to cover. Will have two full days. I was looking at Culrose pass and kings bay. Also Esther Island. Will be hunting with longbow and rifle...depends on stalk and terrain.

Thanks

Hunt the shores at low tide and if you can find a stream that has or had salmon that might work. Also a hill with berries...
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

pick a stream ( best if you can locate one with silvers)and watch it at low tide, just did that but only about 10 pinks left in that one and i think 1/2 or more of those died the 2 days we sat in tree stands there no bears coming in to the stream we picked. found one carcuss saw 6-7 bears in the 6 days we were out. weather crappy , boat problems cancelled goat hunt and limped the 80 miles to whittier 2.5- 3.5 knots using 9.8 outboard for 4-5 hrs one day after 2 hrs at 5 kts with main motor dying every few minutes.
    might look at long bay, shroud lake (off culross passage) ? ? late run of silvers there.if weather gets really bad goose bay is best place to hide till it gets better....unless you can get into long bay lagoon......only at high tide. friend went in there by mistake. rocks size of vw show at low tide.

bear scat was full of berries so they might have moved off streams in some areas to eat blue berries.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default PM

Check your PM

Default Thanks

For the ones that sent me info..I appreciate it..I will give them a try. Obviously post the hunt report upon return...anyone else got any ideas or seen any out there?

Thanks again

Good luck!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK