Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: late season jetboating?

Default late season jetboating?

Just wondering what is the latest date anyone has run their jetboat? Fresh or salt water?

As long as there's water...Ive seen late october..some might run a bit later
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Talkeetna River in Winter Video on YouTube. I think that video is in November but the same guy has another one that is a bit later I think. When you have to chain saw your way through the ice to get down the ramp you know it might be getting to be late in the season.

Has anyone had problems with their cooling systems freezing up or clogging with ice/ slush?

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Has anyone had problems with their cooling systems freezing up or clogging with ice/ slush?
    December 9th last year for me....and back on the water March 15th.....had the boat put away for a little over 3 months...yeesh, that was tough...lol...last winter was quite mild until mid Dec, I doubt I'll get that lucky again this year....I'll sure try...

I have a sport jet so the cooling system is quite different than yours, but no problems thus far with any clogging....i did have a hose freeze up on me and had to remove it and set it on the defroster in my truck for a little while but no big deal...

..the only issue I had was I got stuck on Dec 1st and the boat was out of the water for almost 20 hours and a whole bunch of stuff froze up then......over night in the garage and it was good to go again...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    I got stuck on Dec 1st and the boat was out of the water for almost 20 hours and a whole bunch of stuff froze up then......over night in the garage and it was good to go again...
    Now that is stuck......... I am usually underway in a few minutes and never over an hour

Have you left yours in the water overnight when the temps are in the 20's or do you take it home every night?

Quote Originally Posted by Crumm View Post
    Now that is stuck......... I am usually underway in a few minutes and never over an hour
    ?
    well you're just not trying hard enough then...lol...

We got stuck at the high water line.....then the tide went out.....we ended up 180' from the water....the 20 hours consisted of running home (2+hours each way), getting tools etc, heading back and getting to work....we got the boat within a few feet of the low tide mark and decided to wait it out and let the tide lift the boat as we were whooped from moving the boat 180 feet in only a few hours...the high tide was much lower than the one we got stuck on (21 feet vs 26 feet) so the boat never floated before the tide turned...we tried like heck but it went out too fast, stranding us for the 2nd time....you can imagine the colorful language.....we called it a night and slept in the truck...finally got it floating the next morning....so the whole ordeal was 20 hours or so...That kind of explains what is going on at the end of the '20 Mile' vid that I'm sure you saw...

Have you left yours in the water overnight when the temps are in the 20's or do you take it home every night?
    I haven't left it in the water, always trailered it home....we weren't hunting of fishing, just dinking around...Just from parking it for a week after using it one of my cooling hosed froze solid, as did the water left in the block...while warming up the following weekend it overheated rather quickly.....removed the hosed and put 'em on the truck defroster....put it back together and I was back in business....
    pull my finger....

Just from parking it for a week after using it one of my cooling hoses froze solid, as did the water left in the block.
    Which hose? They are suppose to drain along with the block when you put the boat on the trailer. Would the hose have been below water line if the boat was in the water? They call our engines "self draining" but it sounds like that might not be the case.

Sorry for all the questions but I have a October duck hunting trip planned and I don't want to be all froze up in the morning as it would be a cold float back down the river with a frozen engine. I am thinking about pulling out my oil tank and replacing it with Mr. heater set on low for the night. Think that would keep enough heat in the engine compartment to prevent freezing at temps as low as 10F? Here in Fairbanks the temps for October are - Normal High: 32F Normal Low: 17F Normal Average: 24F. If the temps are dropping below 10F at night I am staying home. I am thinking that any hoses in the engine compartment that are below the water line will freeze as well as any that don't "self drain". This may be one case where a outboard might shine..

my motor did not drain......I think I know why though...the little drain hole below the motor was plugged with gravel and sand (wonder how that happened?)...lol..we noticed it when we pulled the motor to changed the pump seal....we remedied the problem by drilling the drain hole about 3 times the size...should be good to go now...lol....

I also took a fillet knife to the hose running to my heater to by pass it...I didn't want it to freeze up as I hear stories...

the hose that froze up was the one on the port side of the motor up high...it connects to the gold nut thing...lol....that is about the best description I can think of...sorry...Id be happy to take a pic for you

your mr buddy idea sounds like a winner...I'm sure that any water in the hoses at 10 degrees will freeze for sure...over night lows when I got stuck was 15 deg and hoses were froze again in the morning...I knew they were froze because engine temps rose to 180 very quickly once started....normally they are around 55 to 70 depending on river...
    pull my finger....

I knew they were froze because engine temps rose to 180 very quickly once started....normally they are around 55 to 70 depending on river...
    Would a guy be able to thaw the hoses by running the engine up to 180 and then letting it sit for a while and maybe restart it every few minutes to keep the temp up? Once any flow got past the blockage I would think the hot water would melt the ice in a hurry?

Maybe I better take my space heater and generator

Not sure if facebook video's work but this was Dec 30 last year.

http://www.new.facebook.com/video/vi...?v=17340260523

We can(and do) boat year round below the dam, about 6 miles of the Red Deer river stays open. Its a great expereince on a nice day, dress like you're sledding and usually its good. Most boats have heaters anyway...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Skinny water addict

Would a guy be able to thaw the hoses by running the engine up to 180 and then letting it sit for a while and maybe restart it every few minutes to keep the temp up?
    I tried that method for over an hour before I finally gave up and removed the hose. There was no visible melting at all. 10 min on the defroster and it was clear. Meanwhile we worked on the motor ice with our fingers. Once the hose was on The issue still wasn't fixed, there was still ice in the motor. We let it get real warm a few more times and then it crapped the ice plug. Temps went from 180ish to 70 in less than a minute...
    pull my finger....

I have had problem in Sept hunting off haul road for moose. I have had throttle cable freeze ( temps in teens) and had to build small tent with tarp and remove floor panel to thaw with propane heater quick fix once i figured how to thaw. had to do it multiple mornings.
    also with slush in river one time had engine overheat that happened within 100 yards of camp. waited hour or so and warmed up enough for most of slush to disappear from river.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Meanwhile we worked on the motor ice with our fingers.
    How do you work in the motor with your fingers?

How do you work in the motor with your fingers?
    The hose that comes off of the motor and to the sand trap was froze. The only way I knew it was froze is when I squeezed it, it was solid and the rest of the hoses were still flexable. When we removed it the exit hole from the motor had a solid ice plug in it. We just took turns warming out hands and poking our fingers in the hole to melt the ice. We didn't get it all out but cleared it enough that a few more overheating cycles finished the plug off for us...

Another thing about things freezing...my thermostat still had water in it when I stored it for the winter....of course it froze and broke it apart....first trip out in the spring the thermo separated and pumped a few hundred gallons of water into my boat....I thought I had cracked a weld when I saw all of the water sloshing from under the floor board...I boogied back to shore and pulled the boat out, only to find the silly thermo hose just hanging there..lol...

So this winter I'm going to pull my hoses and make sure they are dry before storing...
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by Xerophobic View Post
    Most boats have heaters anyway...

nice pics Xero...is that a mocha in your hand?...lol..where'd you find a coffee stand on the river?.......
    pull my finger....

So this winter I'm going to pull my hoses and make sure they are dry before storing...
    I keep mine in a heated shop all winter so storage is not a problem but this October trip is starting to worry me. Along with Mr. Heater in place of the oil tank for the night I think I will pull the hoses loose and make sure they have drained. It is one thing to find out you are broke down when you back the boat in the water but it is another when you are way up the river. I suppose worse than up the river would be down the river but sweepers can be a pain when you are drifting home.

Latest I've been out here in the interior was Dec 12.

I keep mine in a heated shop all winter so storage is not a problem but this October trip is starting to worry me. Along with Mr. Heater in place of the oil tank for the night I think I will pull the hoses loose and make sure they have drained. It is one thing to find out you are broke down when you back the boat in the water but it is another when you are way up the river. I suppose worse than up the river would be down the river but sweepers can be a pain when you are drifting home.
    Beaching a river boat using paddles in swift water is an interesting adventure that really has to be lived to be appreciated. I don't know how many times we spun hitting the bow then the stern against the bank before we were finally able to jump to the bank and haul it in with a rope from the bow. We treid to toss the anchor onto the bank however it wouldn't hold and where we were at we would have eventually ended up beached in some shallows that would have been miserable to get off of. Come to think of it we ended up beached about an hour later under power anyway...

nice pics Xero...is that a mocha in your hand?...lol..where'd you find a coffee stand on the river?.......
    Thats actually Eagle founder Rob C in the yellow, I wasnt there that day, its just one of my fav winter boating pics of all time, the dog makes the shot!

The 2nd pic is from a water test we did on a few boats last year, we do that year round below the dam.

Cheers
    Skinny water addict

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast