Thread: Trip Food

Default Trip Food

Interested in what everyone brings for food on a trip where you are weight limited...I use dehydrated when I am backpacking, but really don't want that on a trip for kings on the Nush. Any suggestions?

Default Mre

MRE's are picking up in popularity. I found them by the case lot at the sportsman show. They are similar in price (sometimes cheaper) to Mountain house dehydrated. Kind of a nice variation to the old dehydrated stand by's.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I take as much water as I can pack and a sandwhich. Maybe some trail mix if I want to spice things up a bit.

Default Kings on the Nushagak

If you are staying at an established camp on the lower river, I would bring everything but the kitchen sink. We usually have steak, bratwurst, smoked sausage, hamburger, chicken, canned and fresh veggies,salad mixes, breads, cheese, sandwich meat, box milk, cereal and favorite snak foods.
    I'm sure you will want to eat some salmon, so charcoal and a small grill grate helps, along with aluminum foil, butter, dill, Johnnys seasoning, salt & pepper, dried onions, lemon pepper...all that stuff.
    While we fish I like summer sausage, cheese, crackers and hunter sticks.
    If weight is a concern, then the MREs are my choice along with my favorite snack foods and favorite Alpine Aire freeze drieds...I like these because of larger portions and the zip-lock type.
    What kind of place are you staying at, or are you bringing your own house?
    ...oops! I see you are weight limited...forget most of what I listed and bring rice or noodles to go with the fish and all the spices, butter, oatmeal, coffee and mre's in case the commercial fleet is fishing and the water is high and dirty.

Default Cargo bag and cooler...

My cooler is filled with frozen steaks, butter, cheese, beef jerky, and a good bottle of Crown Royal. I vacuum process everything. I bring these products with me because everything costs more in AK, and steak tops the list at $5 more per pound than the Lower 48.

Once consumed, I then have empty space to re-pack it with frozen fish and check it for free. Waders will fit around the cooler in the cargo bag. Add up the weight of them, the bag, the cooler (48 to 52 quart), and that means you get to pack back about 35 lbs. of fillet.

This is definitely the smart play for any commuting angler...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Cannot transport MREs via commercial air!

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud
    MRE's are picking up in popularity. I found them by the case lot at the sportsman show. They are similar in price (sometimes cheaper) to Mountain house dehydrated. Kind of a nice variation to the old dehydrated stand by's.

AKmud,

Some carriers will no longer accept MREs with checked luggage. Some contain a heat packet that can, in certain conditions, ignite and cause a Class D fire in the belly of the aircraft. There was an incident in the Gulf War where an entire pallet of these things self-ignited. They MAY be allowed in cargo shipments, because the quantity can be verified. But in checked luggage, there's no way of telling how many of them folks are carrying, so they have become a prohibited item.

Anyone planning on shipping MREs in checked luggage, should check with their air carrier first. Otherwise, they may be confiscated at the airport.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Default Food Options

"Where weight is restricted" is the operative phrase here. I normally eat "real food"; steaks, prepared meals, etc. that have been frozen ahead of time, however if your air charter is really tying you down on this, you might consider a few dehydrated meals, along with noodle mixes and such. You can supplement noodle dishes with vacuum-packed tuna, chicken and such. This adds some protein to your diet without the weight of cans. You can also use the vacuum packed tuna for sandwich spread. You might also toss in some jerky, trail mixes and dried fruits for additional variety. Hard salami also keeps well and doesn't weigh too much. Stay away from MREs; they are prohibited from travel as checked luggage on most commercial carriers, because of a heat packet that can cause a fire in the aircraft under certain conditions.

Check with your air charter; a small cooler could open some options as Bernard suggests (36-qt is ideal, but anything is better than nothing). If you can bring lunch meats and some frozen foods, you'll really be glad you did.

Hope it helps! Have a great trip!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Default Food Suggestions

If You Are Used To Eating Dehydrated Meals I Assume You Are Likewise Familiar With Msr Stoves. Take A Stove And Basic Pot Kit. I Like To Buy The Boxes Of Zatarains Gumbo Mix At The Grocery Store. Two Boxes Makes A Perfect Amount For 4. Hearty Servings. It Cooks Up Nice And Quick In Water In The Pot. Take Some 1 Inch Chunks Of Fish (i Use Grayling Or Dolly) But Any Will Do. This Cooks Up To A Wonderful Gumbo. Take Some Garlic Bisquick Mix And Make Some Garlic Hobo Cakes In A Small Nonstick Pan When The Gumbo Is Nearing Completion. This Is A Wonderful And Filling Meal. And Best Of All, Simple. And Like I Said, Any Fish Will Do. About 2 Lbs Worth Of Chunks To The Two Boxes Of Gumbo Mix. The Box Says To Mix 6 Cups Of Water Per Package Of Gumbo Mix. I Have Found That 5 Is Better And Makes A Heartier Stew.

Default Fish,pasta,squash, And Zuchinni

Fish (fresh Caught) Filets, Two Zuchinni, Two Squash, And A Box Craft "suddenly Salad" Makes A Great Camp Meal. The Vegetables Will Keep A While. The Fish Is Supplied Where You Go, And The Suddenly Salad Pasta Is Lightweight. The Suddenly Salad That I Am Talking About Is The Italian Style And Only Requires The Contents Of The Box And A Little Olive Oil. Some Of The Ranch Style Suddenly Salads Require Mayo And For That Reason Make Poor Choices In Camp. The Italian Style Is Great With A Pack Of Hormel Pepperoni Slices Put In It. These Dont Have To Be Refrigerated And They Add Alot Of Substance To The Cold Salad. The Squash And Zuchini Are Great Sauted With A Little Of The Olive Oil (carried In A Small 3-4 Oz Plastic Bottle) And Some Greek Or Italian Seasoning. They Cook Up Quickly In A Nonstick Pan And Use Very Little Stove Fuel. And They Will Stay Fresh All Week. The Fish, Whatever You Catch, Fileted And Grilled Or Fried In The Same Pan (just Before The Veggies Are Cooked) Is The Main Dish. The Pasta Salad With The Pepporoni Makes A Great Side (make It Ahead Of Time And Let It Chill For And Hour Or So While You Cook The Fish And Veggies). This Is A Great Creekside Meal And Easy To Fix. Will Serve 4.

Default French Rabbit Wine

A Bit Off The Subject, But There Is A Wine That Is Produced In A Soft Sided Carton That Is Perfect For Throwing In A Backpack. It Comes In A 1 Liter Carton And Comes In Several Flavors, Merlot, Chardonay, Pinot Grigio, Etc... The Brand Name Is French Rabbit. It Retails For $10. There Are Several Distributers In Anchorage. Great Product. Perfect For Reflecting On A Hard Day Of Fishing On The River Bank. There Are Lexan Wine Glasses Available From Campmor.com. I Think The Brand Is Gsi Or Gci. If You Are Taking A Wife/girlfriend This Is Worth Its Weight In Gold. Most People Wouldnt Expect A Nice Chilled Glass Of Wine Out In The Bush. Thats What Makes It Worth Doing.

Default MRE's the easy way.

Open them up and take out the heat packet. Besides there's lots of stuff in a MRE that nobody uses. Take the meals out of the boxes, throw away the plastic spoons and anything else you don't like. We called it field stripping when I was in. Gets rid of a lot of garbage.

Default Field Stripping MREs

Quote Originally Posted by Casper50
    Open them up and take out the heat packet. Besides there's lots of stuff in a MRE that nobody uses. Take the meals out of the boxes, throw away the plastic spoons and anything else you don't like. We called it field stripping when I was in. Gets rid of a lot of garbage.
    Casper,

You make a good point. I would add though that the contents should be repackaged in something besides the original MRE wrapper. If it says MRE on it anywhere, chances are that TSA will toss it. Can't be too careful.

Great idea!

-Mike

Default trip food

i also am having a weight issue doing a ten day float, after we load our raft tackle clothes coolers and three people on plane, we will have only 60 pounds per person for food..
    i took about 75# of elk and deer and made jerky it is now less than 15#
    lots of oatmeal peanut butter dried fruit MRE'S and tuna helper it goes great with salmon.. plenty of gorp and of course fresh fish-- AND THE BEST WATER PURIFYING DEVICE MONEY CAN BUY!!!!!!!!!
    the only down fall i can think of is NO BEER!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am gonna ask the pilot about not filling the plane completly with fuel, so maybe i can get some steaks and a few beers on board...

michael thanks for the heads up on the MRE'S and airlines
    you are a wealth of valueable information and are a credit to this forum and all sportsman, thanks for all post past and future..
    also some great write ups in the magazine section tyler