Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guns for women

Default Guns for women

Got a caribou hunt coming up next year...looking for the wife a gun.

Also, what extra considerations are necessary for winter hunting guns?

The wife is a 5'2 (short but not a stick). She easily shoots .22s, 12ga. and her 44MAG handgun. However, some full size guns just seem too big.

I'd like to get synthetic for all weather gun. This be a gun that lasts her for a while. I am not sure about synthetics and plastic parts.

Cost is a consideration budget is $600 and less.

Which rifle do you all think would be better? She seems to like both guns as far as fit. I know it should be her decision...

I also need to outfit her with scope and binocs, which I think we'll go with Nikon monarch 8x42 binocs and Nikon Monarch scope. What power would you recommend for her?

Here's what I am looking at

Remington 700 ADL Synthetic Youth 30-06 $345
    http://www.impactguns.com/store/SS-97305.html
    I've tried looking at the Youth models for her. I found a good deal on the remington. I've read it is a pretty decent gun. This will be my first synthetic purchase, anyone know about the plastics on this gun?

Also, never ordered a rifle online. How does it work out? I know you need an FFL dealer. Anyone provide that service in FAI?

Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 $478 / $548
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=90854
    Also thought about the Tikka, but don't know about the recoil. I know I have read about it, just would like some smaller shooters opinions. Another thing I am afraid of is the plastic components.
    Seems to shoot well out of the box, but is there too much plastic?
    Probably would just get the blued finish...

Go collect her hunting coat and herself.
    Get in the truck and head over to someplace like Great Northern Guns off Tudor, then play with a bunch of different rifles to see which one fits her while wearing her heavy hunting coat.

One or more of them may appeal to her while the one you like may not.

Rifles are like women's sexy skivvies one size or shape does not fit all.....
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default 1 vote for the 270

I'd cast a vote for the 270, great flatshooting gun with plenty behind it to handle a 'bou. A Ruger 270 should be well within your price range w/ an adequate scope. (Though you may want to invest in an upgraded/reworked trigger)

My advice is a remington youth model in 7mm-08, or a .243. I got my son one of the rem 700 sps .243's for his b-day. It's a fine shooting rifle for ~500 after the rem $40 rebate.

Here it is set up with a leupold VX-III 6X42 which I got off of an auction sight for $240, and it's mounted in talley leightweight ring/bases $40.

Default Ladies & Youth

At 5'2" and wearing a heavy jacket she might fit into a YOUTH Rifle. These are made by several manufacturers. Take both to a sporting goods store and try on several rifles. Choose a rifle with a small to mid range caliber and milder recoil ( since this rifle will be lighter). THe mid-range calibers, 257 Roberts,6.5x55 Swede, 260 Rem., 7-08 Rem., 7x57, 308 Win. all are capable of good accuracy and are adequate for any non-dangerous big game in North America (with quality ammo and decent marksmanship).
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I am not a particularly big fan of the non tang safety ruger M77's but they did knock a home run with the "Ruger Compact" It is available in 243,7mm-08, and 308. My wife loves hers and she is about 5'3" tall and of comperable build to your description. The Ruger is small across the board with a youth length stock and a short barrel. My wife can actually shoot it off hand and hit the paper at 100 yards. It is also very easy to carry. They have them in stainless with a laminate stock that should be well within your price range. I know that as of last week Boondock's in ER had one in the 243 on the shelf and they can get other cals in just a few days.

As much as I love ruger's, IMHO they completely goofed with the compacts by putting that 16 1/2" barrel on them. Way too much muzzle blast and lost velocity. Their 20" barrel they use on the featherweights is the perfect barrel.

I would have gotten my son a ruger if they had a 20" barrel, no way I'd saddle him with a 16 1/2" 243, it already has plenty of muzzle blast in the 20" tube.

Another option is see if you can find a used Ruger ultralight, and just cut down the stock. That's what I did with my wife's .308, she's 5'-3" and it fits her perfectly after I cut 1 1/2" off.

Perfect for a Woman? I can tell you what's not right for her. Do not give her a rifle that is to valuable to butcher. I have made this mistake with a London makers example of the nice light rifle. Give her a rifle that is light in weight and she will suffer from recoil, can't put a break on it, ruins the collectors value. Stock so long she crawls the stock? Can cut it or you ruin the collectors value. No scope, not drilled and tapped?

I would go with that Ruger and get a Vais break installed in .308 WINCHESTER or the Remington. Does not matter. As long as you are not afraid to make the rifle work and fit her.

The Vais is the best way to tame just about any recoil and muzzle blast. Make it a *****cat to shoot for your wife. They are the only break I know of that reduces the sound.

The other thing to know about, what would not bother you in a rifle may sure as heck bother her.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Give the Weatherby Vanguard a look. I believe Weatherby is (or at least was) having a special on them for $399 and it comes in many different calibers. If a youth model is what you need, they also offer a package that comes with both a youth and adult-sized stock.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Wink Wifes rifle

Like you my wife is 5'1" and loves to hunt. She used to used a Rem 700 in 30-06 but felt 'under' gunned when in griz country. We got her a Savage 116 All weather in 338 WM. What is good about this rifle is the muzzle brake, which makes it easier to handle the recoil. Then we had the stock shortened to fit HER put a good scope on it and she is ready. In a nornal year she will shoot 5 rounds, three to ensure the zero is still good, one for her caribou and one for her moose. She likes to shoot, and has more fun with the AR type rifles that we have. Beside they are cheaper to shoot.
    Find some one that has rifles that you are looking at and have her shoot them. You might be surprised as to what she might like.
    Good luck and have fun looking for a rifle for her.

Interesting article on the Ruger Compact

http://www.gunblast.com/RugerM77-Trijicon.htm

I checked the specs on the remington page and the muzzel velocity on the pointed soft tip cor-lokt is 2410 out of the llittle ruger and 2750 out of a 24" barrel (how many people actually hunt with a 24" barrel?). I concur that there are rifles that will provide better long distance performance with a longer barrel but honestly I doubt that the moose or bou will know the difference at most normal hunting distances and the little ruger is just easy to carry, point and even swing for a follow up shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    As much as I love ruger's, IMHO they completely goofed with the compacts by putting that 16 1/2" barrel on them. Way too much muzzle blast and lost velocity. Their 20" barrel they use on the featherweights is the perfect barrel.

+1!

I had a bad itching for one of the Ruger Compacts some years ago and in the end decided that so much was lost with the shortie barrel that it wasn't worth it.

To the OP, I agree with the others, take her to a gun shop and let her handle whatever her little heart desires, stocks can be modified, make sure she likes the other atributes of the rifle and she'll be good to go. As to caliber ........well that could be argued forever.

I bought my 5' daughter an Steyr SBS in 7mm-08. Synthetic stock has spacers already there so we just experimented a little until it fit. Paid 500 for it.

Default savage rifles

Take a look at the savage youth models also. I got my wife the youth model package in 7Mm-08. It came with a cheap scope on it, a Trashco I think. Swapped that out with a 3-9x40 VX-II, and it is sweet little shooter. Hardly any recoil, and she can keep it under an inch at 100 yards off the bench.

Jake

In Fairbanks check out Alaskan Gun and ammo.

Steve may have what you need or he may be able to order it.

I bought several guns online and picked them up there.(for $30)
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Interesting article on the Ruger Compact

http://www.gunblast.com/RugerM77-Trijicon.htm

I checked the specs on the remington page and the muzzel velocity on the pointed soft tip cor-lokt is 2410 out of the llittle ruger and 2750 out of a 24" barrel (how many people actually hunt with a 24" barrel?). I concur that there are rifles that will provide better long distance performance with a longer barrel but honestly I doubt that the moose or bou will know the difference at most normal hunting distances and the little ruger is just easy to carry, point and even swing for a follow up shot.
    I think you'll find the ruger ultralights with 20" barrel swing just as nicely as the compacts. And no a couple hundred fps isn't necessarily a huge deal, but to put it in perspective, a bullet leaving the barrel at 2750 fps is doing ~2400 fps at 150-200 yds, so you've given up some effective range.

But the biggest deal, and most people ignore it is that muzzle blast can have just as much impact as ones ability to shoot well as recoil. A gun that makes it feel like a concussion grenade is going off in your face after each shot is much more difficult to shoot than one that doesn't.

A 20" 7-08 is about as good as it gets combining mild recoil with good terminal performance. Launch a 120 gr barnes tsx ~3000 fps and you have a good long range bou rifle. Use the 140 tsx ~2700 fps and you can kill the biggest moose plenty dead.

Default Woman's gun on a budget

I bought mine a Remington .243 model 7 Youth, a $5.95 sling, and a $32.00 TASCO scope from Wal-Mart. It has worked great for her and the kid (and others) on Sheep, Caribou, and Deer. I could have spent 10 times more, but the critters were just as dead and tasty.

I'd find her a nice used Model 7 .243, .308, or 280 for around $300 and use the other $300 on jewelry since she hunts with you. Another thought: For just over $200 you can build a sporty Mosin Nagant carbine. Mine cost about $230 with scope, stock, and bent bolt and it out shoots many friends $800 rifles and $1200 German scopes.

Default My Own Sweet Darlin' Little Woman's Choice...

surprised me. One afternoon while at the range, she got tired of shooting the little Model 94 Trapper .357 at pop cans (she is absolutely deadly with that rifle and open sights out to around 150 yards BTW), she picked up a 6.5X55 Swede project gun that I had taken along to test shoot. For some reason, the rifle appealed to her (I thought it was a mutt, a collection of leftover parts from other projects and completely unfinished metal).
    She sat down at the bench, put the rifle into the bags, and with some coaching, proceeded to sight the rifle in, then started busting little teeny rocks, and a few varmints that infest the range at sometimes embarassingly long range. SHE found her rifle. Wouldn't have been my choice had I been shopping for her.

Default My wife's rifle

AKBOU,
    If you are in Anchorage area your wife is welcome to shoot my wife's rifle. I bought her a Remington model 7 stainless synthetic in 7-08 and had the stock cut down with a high grade recoil pad added. She absolutely loves this rifle and can shoot it like nobody's business. I bought it when we lived in the lower 48 and would probably go with a 308 if I was doing it again, more versitle. There is nothing wrong with the 7-08 however.

Anyway, send me a PM if you want to try it out.

Tikka T3 Lite 30-06 $478 / $548
    http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/prod...ducts_id=90854
    Also thought about the Tikka, but don't know about the recoil. I know I have read about it, just would like some smaller shooters opinions. Another thing I am afraid of is the plastic components.
    Seems to shoot well out of the box, but is there too much plastic?
    Probably would just get the blued finish...
    I have a T3 Lite in .30-06. I'm 6', 230lbs and I start getting tenderized after a few rounds off the bench with it. Especially when I'm shooting Federal HE. Although a couple weeks ago I launched a follow-up shot at a grizzly a friend shot and for some reason I didn't feel a thing.

Yes, it probably has more plastic in it than I care for, but so far this hasn't become a durability issue yet. I don't care for the way the so-called recoil lug is designed, and magazine replacement costs must have been set by the mafia.

However, it shoots like a laser beam, the bolt runs like snot on a doorknob and the light weight is an asset for a rifle that's really carried lots and shot little in the big scheme of things.

If you do get one, swap out the recoil pad for a Limbsaver and the rings for Talleys.
    Now what ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast