Thread: Whittier launch ramp entertainment

Default Whittier launch ramp entertainment

last night when backing my trailer at center ramp (east side closed and gone being replaced)
    red truck was pulling up ramp and people started yelling STOP ! well the driver was going like an INDY race start ( well faster than needed) and either she did not hear or could not get stopped quick enough.
    too bad my camera was in my boat.
    rear of wooldridge jet boat was on ramp about 4 feet from water and boat was more than 1/2 way off trailer.
    lets see- steep incline, jack rabbit start and roller bunks......NAW don't need no stinking SAFETY chain. hand winch was not locked, or came loose.
    did not appear the boat was damaged and luckily no one was hurt.
    had friend do high speed launch once with new north river when it started to roll off trailer.....guess it made one heck of a splash.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Was the entire east ramp (both sides of it) closed? So there's only the ramp open that's by the Harbor Master?

Never mind. I called and all the east ramp is closed.

There was a fibergalss boat left stranded last month on one of the ramps. It was gone when high tide came.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I'm heading out tomorrow afternoon. Maybe see some of you out there. Good luck.

Default FYI

Just an FYI. Since the east ramp is closed, the larger boats may have problems launching and retrieving. The west launch is not useable on lower tides. Does anybody know when the project is supposed to be completed? It may be an interesting spring/summer if the work is not completed.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

down to gravel on both sides of east no poles and no dock, big barge just inside breakwater looks like it is a pile driver / crane unit i guess for the new ramp work
    fairly high tide last night ramp is not as steep so drove further into water to get to same depth.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Even the smaller boats aren't going to be launching from the west dock on a minus tide.

Default West ramp

I have been able to launch with 2 feet of water and retrieved at 2.5 at the west ramp.
    Thats with my 22 ft Searunner, I imagine some of you are going to need twice that.
    Could be a long wait if you don't check tides before you drive down.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Just an FYI. Since the east ramp is closed, the larger boats may have problems launching and retrieving. The west launch is not useable on lower tides. Does anybody know when the project is supposed to be completed? It may be an interesting spring/summer if the work is not completed.
    If this work is part of the ramp improvement project, it has to be done by the end of April 2009 or the contractor will face some stiff L/D's - I'm not sure if the city has issued a contract yet for that work. If you see any Harris Sand & Gravel trucks around the work, they were the low bidder on that project.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    If this work is part of the ramp improvement project, it has to be done by the end of April 2009 or the contractor will face some stiff L/D's -
    I wonder how stiff. Sometimes the benefits out weigh the costs. Sorry to be the pessimist here but we have been hearing about this improvement since before the tunnel opened for vehicle traffic.

Question

I wonder how stiff. Sometimes the benefits out weigh the costs. Sorry to be the pessimist here but we have been hearing about this improvement since before the tunnel opened for vehicle traffic.
    Enough to get your attention - After April 1, 2009 L/D's are $1,000 per day & after May 1, 2009 L/D's are $2,500 per day.

Enough to get your attention - After April 1, 2009 L/D's are $1,000 per day & after May 1, 2009 L/D's are $2,500 per day.
    That looks good for us. Normally I am a "glass half full" kind of guy. That reminds me, I have a half a glass of Midnight Sun Kolsch to finish.

Cheers,

Pete

That looks good for us. Normally I am a "glass half full" kind of guy. That reminds me, I have a half a glass of Midnight Sun Kolsch to finish.

Cheers,

Pete
    You need a laptop so you can have that half glass and surf the forum from the galley in Patience now that she is home!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    You need a laptop so you can have that half glass and surf the forum from the galley in Patience now that she is home!
    These big hands don't work to well on them little keyboards. Shoot, I can just run a line out there and hardwire her. Hmm...

Lightbulb L/D's are Not absolute

If this work is part of the ramp improvement project, it has to be done by the end of April 2009 or the contractor will face some stiff L/D's.
    All it takes is one change order due to an owner requested change, or more likely, differing site conditions and the completion date can be extended. I hope it doesn't happen though.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

They are probaly hoping it won't be done in time so that everybody will have to leave their boats in the harbor and rack up those transient moorage fees. Mo'money fo' whittier

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    They are probaly hoping it won't be done in time so that everybody will have to leave their boats in the harbor and rack up those transient moorage fees. Mo'money fo' whittier

We met a guy Sunday night while pulling the boat that had to get a slip Saturday night because he couldn’t pull his boat.
    Looks like the contractor has the east ramp graded and ready for concrete from what we could see, and working on Sunday. No piling sticking up yet; hope they had the forethought to build the float with recessed pilings.
    Talked to a lady at the harbor masters Saturday morning who said the west ramp would be down next summer, that should be interesting.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.