Thread: Scopes & binocs

Default Scopes & binocs

New to the hunting field...

what budget scope and binoc set would you recommend? Should I just look for Leupold for a good deal?

Thanks

I bought a Nikon Buckmaster BDC scope last year for my son's .22-250 and couldn't be happier with the quality and accuracy it provided. So much so that I bought myself a pair of Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42's this summer. Crystal clear and not overpriced. Great warranty and no fault guarantee also. Both were off Ebay for less than everywhere else.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

If your on a budget, for scopes take a look at the Sightron SI or SII. Also take a look at the Bushnell Elite 3200. These scopes offer much more for the money than a Leupold at the same price.

More expensive scopes look at the Zeiss Conquest.

For a budget minded bino look at the less expensive Pentax. Nikon Monarch are decent for the price. Carson Optics is typically overlooked by hunters but gets good reviews and has some great prices.

More expensive binos look at Minox HG, Vortex, and Pentax SP. Cameraland has a new Promaster bino that is getting excellent reviews.

Do some research and you'll find there are some good optics out there in every price range.

SO is it necessary to have binocs and a spotting scope?

Default Nikon

I own Nikon Scopes, binocs and spotting scope. Im really happy with them and cant go wrong with the 25 year no fault warranty on them.

I am checking out the Monarch line. Seems like a good product for the money, now I just need to compare at the store.
    Nikon Monarch 8x42 binocs

Looking at a Monarch scope... just deciding on power.

Either 3x9x40

or

2.5x10x42

Default Binos and spotter?

It depends on what kind of hunting your doing. Spotter is a must have on sheep hunts of other mountain hunts. Moose or caribou aren't as importand but can be very helpfull. Allows you to count browtines of that moose over on the hill. I've started taking my spotter on alot more hunts as it can save alot of hiking.

You'll use your binos for most of your glassing so concentrate on a decent pair of binos first. I do think a spotter is essential to have in your hunting closet.

I bought the Nikon Monarch 12x42 ATB a week or so ago and really like them. I also have two differant Nikon buckmaster bdc scopes i really like. I picked up the binocs from sportsmans for $330 I believe which was about the same price i found them everywhere. else.

Whats your budget? What type of rifle and what are you hunting?

Just remember the better the binoculars, the more you will use them, and the more game you will see and take. I'd much rather have a quality pair of 8X than a less expensive pair of 10 or 12's.

As for scopes, variables are all the rage, but a good 4 or 6X fixed scope will work fine for most every need, and for the same $ you get a scope that has less elements, so trasmits light better, and has less parts to fail or sources to let damp air in to fog up. If you put some effort into checking various action sights you can find leupold 4x fixed and 6X32's for $150, and the 6X42 for $250.

Budget depends on how much my new rifle will cost. It really isn't set right now.

The new rifle is going to be .30-06. I been looking at the Tikka T3 but have some other guns in mind too.

No sheep hunting - just caribou, moose, blackies.

As far as weight, how much do you guys compromise for weight on spotting scopes? I try to travel light even though I don't sheep hunt.

Thanks

Picked up a pair of Nikon Monarchs about a month ago off of ebay for $170. I have not hunted with them yet but have taken them camping with the family for animal watching and on a trip to Denali for the same. Couldn't be happier with them so far.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

I'd suggest Bushnell.

Trophy, or Legend. I like both.

If you want a 4X fixed power, a Weaver K4.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by akbou View Post
    Budget depends on how much my new rifle will cost. It really isn't set right now.

The new rifle is going to be .30-06. I been looking at the Tikka T3 but have some other guns in mind too.

No sheep hunting - just caribou, moose, blackies.

As far as weight, how much do you guys compromise for weight on spotting scopes? I try to travel light even though I don't sheep hunt.

Thanks

My Tikka T3 Lite stainless wears a Burris FFII 3-9x40 Ballistic Plex.
    I am very pleased. Yesterday, I was comparing the resolution and color beside a Zeiss 3-9x36 Diavari C and a Swarovski 3-9x36 Habicht. The Zeiss transmitted best colors, and both the German scopes were distortion-free to the edges, but in the center 50%, the Burris was just as sharp in good light. I could read a street sign at 600 yards on 9x, and could have read it further away.

And a .30-06 will push 130-gr Speers plenty fast to be a "sheep rifle", but the 165s are flat enough.