Thread: banded duck

Default banded duck

well personally i have never got one but i was out today and a guy that was at the same spot as me got one on a goldeneye. this is the second one i have saw from a goldeneye the other one was a few years ago. any one else getting any or heard of any up here i havent. just wondering?

matt

cool! I ve got a couple also off Goldeneyes up here and know of two others off Goldeneyes.There is a professor from UAF that has been banding them up Chena Hot Springs Road.

I did see a week before the season opened 3 years ago a double banded Oldsquaw.Of course when the season opened up I tok the day off from work and rove out there and sat on that pond looking for it with no such luck.

ALmost forgot I did see a Speckeled belly up north across from the Franklin Bluff's that was banded.

Keep trying Matt you'll get one eventually.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

just a note about the bands... i read several years ago a green teal was banded up north slope...

97 days later it was shot in New Zealand.. taking into account his roosting and feeding times they figured he averaged over 90 MPH to get there.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I saw a banded Canadian Goose standing on the side of the Glenn on the way back from wasilla in the spring. I was keeping my eye out for him, but never saw him. Hopefully he will swing by my blind next year.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

back in the day when there were billions of resident geese in anchorage I'd see neck banded ones all the time
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default The only ones

I have seen, has been at work. Geese and Mallards. I did pic up a mall with a radio trans on it, about 6 years ago. Haven't seen any bands for a while now.

Just shot a banded goldeneye on Sunday. Gave the bird to my buddy to investigate the band. Hes been hunting forever and had never seen a band like the one off that goldeneye. Spoke to a guy last night who shot the same type of banded bird and found that a guy on the slope has been banding birds....

Yep you can go down to the ponds here in anc. and still see some. Before the season I went down to the pond off of bonifice and saw three neck band and several leg band.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    back in the day when there were billions of resident geese in anchorage I'd see neck banded ones all the time

Default the strangest band

the strangest band i have ever seen is this web band, i have never seen anything like it before, has anyone else? you can barely make it out, sorry for the lousy pic.

I shot a brant that had a plastic colored band like the one in the pic. FWS uses these so they can identify from a distance. Sort of like neck collars. I've shot several banded pintails, goldeneyes, mallard and one canvasback

Default Thanks

I have only seen them in pics Nice collection

Default neck band

Here is a neck band from a few years ago for ya

Default web band

I think fish was talking about the web band on the right hand side. It reminds me of a toe ring.

Default Bands

So far I have killed one pintail band and one neck collar canada (blue) up here.

Default Bands

I got a banded goose a few years ago down in washington (chehalis area) it was banded in Adak and then flew the coast line down, and then made his way onto my dinner plate. My buddy got one of those banded goldeneye this year opening day.

Do you have a closer picture of the web band. I've shot many banded birds but never seen a band in the web. Can you even read where the band is from. I can't believe they would even consider putting the band in the web of the foot. You would think the duck would be more pron to getting it hung up at that rate or even ripping it out.