Thread: Fishing with live herring?

Default Fishing with live herring?

Hi all,

Since the major run of salmons seems to be over, its time for me to post more questions to get me through until next year.

When I used to live out in NY, we used to got out to the beaches or piers, snag live bunker/pogies (basic bait fish) and live-line them for stripers.

I used to love fishing that way because I could always tell when the stripers were around because the bunker would always start shaking and you could tell by the quivering of your rod tip.

Im just wondering if anybody ever live-lines herring? Where can you catch herring anyways? .

Anybody ever do this in AK waters?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I've thought about that myself soda, from my old days back in NJ fishing the rockpiles. I'm not sure but using live bait like that here in ak might be illegal. Maybe i could get a halibut to chase a live herring around on top of the water??? Thank God we don't have bluefish here or all the salmon would be eaten up into chum after a couple of years.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I believe live bait is legal in Salt Water (illegal in fresh) providing that the bait was caught in the waters you are fishing.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Why bother?

I have caught fresh herring in the harbor in Kodiak and have used them. There is little reasoning to keep them alive due to the bounty of what is around that will chew on anything, dead or alive.

Herring are caught on tiny hook sets that you simply lower into an excited school and pull up several or more at a time. The fresh herring hold better then frozen and of course, are free due to your having caught them.

By the way, fresh herring are terrific smoked, grilled, or canned into pickled specialty...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I've thought about that myself soda, from my old days back in NJ fishing the rockpiles. I'm not sure but using live bait like that here in ak might be illegal. Maybe i could get a halibut to chase a live herring around on top of the water??? Thank God we don't have bluefish here or all the salmon would be eaten up into chum after a couple of years.
    Bluefish!!! You know exactly what I mean!!! I'd often feel a strike on a live bunker and reel in half of him! Those big gorillas were so aggressive. Sometimes I thought they only struck to kill instead of eat.

AKauthor has a point I guess. There are so many fish in AK, its not worth the effort of keeping the fish alive in most cases. Its not like in NY/NJ where most of the time, you'll have only 1 or 2 fish swim by your bait or lure in 5-8 hours of fishing.

If I find myself in Kodiak with a Sabiki rig though, I sure would try it.

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Bluefish!!! You know exactly what I mean!!! I'd often feel a strike on a live bunker and reel in half of him! Those big gorillas were so aggressive. Sometimes I thought they only struck to kill instead of eat.

AKauthor has a point I guess. There are so many fish in AK, its not worth the effort of keeping the fish alive in most cases. Its not like in NY/NJ where most of the time, you'll have only 1 or 2 fish swim by your bait or lure in 5-8 hours of fishing.

If I find myself in Kodiak with a Sabiki rig though, I sure would try it.
    Yup that little machine gun hit and you reel back a half a bunker or half a rigged eel. Oh the memories those thoughts bring back. I think these guys think your going to put a live herring on a halibut rig and sink it to the bottom & wait?? they don't know about live lining off the front of a rockpile, just a hook & a live herring or bunker. Speaking of bunkers i bet they would make a great halibut bait so next time you come up here bring a few frozen ones in your duffle bag. Look me up and i'll take you gillnetting ?? &(maybe shrimping).

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Yup that little machine gun hit and you reel back a half a bunker or half a rigged eel. Oh the memories those thoughts bring back. I think these guys think your going to put a live herring on a halibut rig and sink it to the bottom & wait?? they don't know about live lining off the front of a rockpile, just a hook & a live herring or bunker. Speaking of bunkers i bet they would make a great halibut bait so next time you come up here bring a few frozen ones in your duffle bag. Look me up and i'll take you gillnetting ?? &(maybe shrimping).
    Sounds good Potbuilder! Im sure bunker would work. The fish smells so bad!! The worst smelling the better for halibut I guess. I used to have bunker smell on my fingers for days.

Yeah, you're right about the rigging. It would be so cool from a beach, maybe where silvers go upstream to spawn? Cast him out, let him swim even further.

I almost guarantee if you could get live herring, silvers would go nuts over them. Man, that would be fun! Kite fish for silvers.......the ideas are formulating on how I could do this up here.

Biggest problem would be getting live bait, I think. So, there's a new business opportunity right there. Get some live pens and sell live bait Caribbean style. I bet we could make it work in Seward.........

Default Live Herring in Seward

I use live herring for every kind of fish and many of you have seen the results first had. I have a ten scoop live bait tank and catch 30 - 50 herring and keep them alive for a week at a time.

Default The herring have left the pond

20 years ago we always found herring balls in K-Bay. On the way out we would dip 5 gallons of fresh bait. I almost never see herring balls now and can't tell you how many years ago we quit bringing the bait net.
    There used to be at least one "shooter" per trip and maybe that was the fresh bait doing it's job.
    Maybe Fish & Game could start a herring stocking program....
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Default Miles of herring

Man there have been miles of herring schools the last couple of year in Seward. This last summer there were acres between Fox and Hive Island. The sounder was red from top to bottom.

Id love to try it from shore. Keep a few in a live-well and let them swim out until... "SMACK"!! Fish on!

Seward does seem like the place to try it. Maybe during the silver return? Lots of time. Maybe next year.

Default Live baiting...

from shore here in Hawaii is often done by setting up a balloon attached to the mainline then allowing the whole setup to drift offshore in either the current or wind (either of those has to be conducive for this to work) then free-lining the line out; like bobber/float fishing, pretty obvious when it gets hit. Just an idea.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    from shore here in Hawaii is often done by setting up a balloon attached to the mainline then allowing the whole setup to drift offshore in either the current or wind (either of those has to be conducive for this to work) then free-lining the line out; like bobber/float fishing, pretty obvious when it gets hit. Just an idea.
    Jim
    What do you get from shore in Hawaii? Im sure lots of different stuff, but what are you targeting mainly?