Thread: canned moose

Default canned moose

I was wondering if anyone has tried to can moose. How does it turn out and how do you serve it? What is the best way to prepare canned moose??
    Thanks

I can moose. Chunk it and add a little beef bouillon powder and cook at 10# for 100 minutes. We use the canned meat for chili, spaghetti sauce, and my favorite, barley soup. I also mix a little mayo and mustard with canned meat for a sandwich spread. If you keep the typical small chunks of stew meat that isn't perfectly tender looking it'll can great and the canning makes it tender. Its a great way to use the small pieces left over after the cutting's done.

Default Thanks

Thanks for the reply. I think I will try it out. We were talking about trying it and now that I know the time and pressure I will give it a try. Thanks

I put up canned deer meat - pretty similar to moose meat - and eat it all year long. It's great for a no-cook meal if you're real busy and pressed for time, or if you're in a situation where you don't have refrigeration. When I was commercial fishing, sometimes I'd just eat it straight out of the jar with a fork.

Along with the great suggestions above, we also like to make enchiladas with the meat and, for a power-punch sandwich, try mixing the canned meat with barbeque sauce, fine chopped onions, and a slab of cheese on good bread. In some of the cans, I'll even add a dollop of barbeque sauce.

Cheers.

We can it with a clove or 2 of garlic, 8 peppercorns & a tsp of salt. Love it, tastes like the beef out of Dinty more beef stew. We also use it for BBQ sandwiches-awesome. Burritos, etc. Very handy to have a quick, delcious meal.

KK

Haven't canned moose yet, but have done a lot of deer meat. Very good with those frozen noodles from the supermarket. We usually put a cube of beef fat in the jar before putting in the pressure cooker. A pint jar stuffed full of meat goes a long way. Good eating.

Default canned moose

My ex-mother-inlaw use to can it with B.B.Q. sauce and teryiaki sauce. Just open a can, heat it up and serve. I used to put it on my rice hmmmmmmmmmmm hhmmmmmmmmmmm!!!

How do you can the moose? Could you use those glass jars and boil the moose in the jars and wait for the lids to seal as they cool like I do with the garden?

I don't have a pressure cooker but would like to try canning some.

Meat is a low acid food and the only way you can do it safely is with a pressure cooker. The extention office can give you the real details of why it can kill you to water bath you meat. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news