Thread: Black Bear on the Kenai

Default Black Bear on the Kenai

I have a black bear tag burning a hole in my pocket. I was in PWS this spring and saw on bear, a sow with cub, in 5 days of rainy weather. I did take a side hike east of Soldotna but ran out of time to call it more than a hike. I see talk of the Brown bear situation(overpopulation?), but how is the black bear situation. Would it be possible to get a black around the Kenai peninsula on my own? Any help would be appreciated.

Mark

Take a ride down the Seward Highway, stopping periodically and glassing up on the sides of the hills/mountains. There are LOTS of black bears out right now eating berries. They are pretty easy to spot, too. They stick out like a sore thumb in the fall colors.

There are several trails, south of Moose Pass/Trail Lakes area, that will get you off the main highway. There are lots of bears back in there as well.

Default PM

Sent you a pm

I've been down to a couple different spots every week for the last three, have yet to see any bear. I've been glassing the mountain sides and such lookin' for them eating berries, so I'd imagine sooner or later they have to be seen.

-Have seen plenty of scat/tracks down below in the tree line though. They're certainly there and should only be easier to see as the leaves drop.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

Default Black bears

Thanks for all the PM's and replies. Like I said I hunted PWS off a boat in June. It rained from the time we got on the boat until we got off, soaked every day. After we got off the boat we had our gear loaded up. We had to wait about 20 minutes leaving Whittier for our turn through the tunnel. While waiting I spotted a black spot on the side of the hill above the tunnel. We grab our binos and guess what??? Of course, a black bear up there and I think he had one finger in the air. And then the light turned and we were in the tunnel. Just about how our whole trip went. Had fun anyway and met some great Alaskan's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    Take a ride down the Seward Highway, stopping periodically and glassing up on the sides of the hills/mountains. There are LOTS of black bears out right now eating berries. They are pretty easy to spot, too. They stick out like a sore thumb in the fall colors.

There are several trails, south of Moose Pass/Trail Lakes area, that will get you off the main highway. There are lots of bears back in there as well.
    Thanks Dan. I was south of Anchorage along Turnagain arm and spotted some Dall sheep and my nephew did spot a black bear. This was a day before our season but got the blood going. Thanks, Mark

Default kenia penn.

I seen the biggest black bear that I have seen in the last couple of years last weekend down on the kenia. We tried a hike up to get him but ran out of time and we were soaking wet from fighting the underbrush. I plan to go out to the same spot this weekend and give it another go. what can I say, I like punishment.