Thread: Scope input

Default Scope input

Hello all and hopefully eveyone is filling there freezers by now. I was looking for some scope input from all of you experts out there on the forum. I just bought a 338 for future hunting and wanting to see what scopes you guys pick to top off your 338 rifles.
    Thanks

Default Leupold

I have a leupold vx-III in the 3.5 - 10 x 40 and absolutly love it on my SAKO .338. You can't go wrong with Leupold. I have heard & witnessed good things with the Bushnell Elite series. They are very clear, bright & sharp. The 6500 is fantastic! Decisions...decisions

check out the optics forums very good info there..

Like HuntNfool said, the VariX-III is a great scope. Generous eye relief and clear picture. I have the 4.5-14 x 40.

Zeiss Conquest either the 2.5-8 x 32 or the 3-9x40. 4" of eye relief at any magnification is hard to beat add in the optical clarity that comes with the Zeiss name and it is a winner for me!

Vari X III 2.5-8 in QD rings w/good BUIS

Default Scope for a 338

First of all you must consider the type of hunting anticipated. This would not only include the specific prey to be hunted but also the type of hunting (e.g. backpack, 4-wheeler, boat, stand, etc.) as well as a reasonable expectation of the distance of your anticipated shot. Although used for such animals as sheep and goats, a 338 is not at the top of the list for an optimal choice of caliber. For Alaskan hunting, I would say a 3 x 9 would be max. with a 2.5 x 8 a better choice and perhaps an optimal power would be a 2 x 7. One does not need too many trips thru the alder jungles with a rifle sporting a 50mm objective to result in sitting down and reevaluating alternative scope choice's. This opinion is based on a presumed 338 Win. For a 338 Federal or a 338 Lapua other choices could be more appropriate. As far as specific brands, when consideration is given to all aspects of scope choice including: price, optical clarity, warranty, eye relief, selection choices and reliability Leupold is hard to beat and has in general been my first choice for many years. Good luck with your choice.

Default zeiss

If your going to buy a zeiss buy the best ....Zeiss victory made in Germany.Ziess-usa does not compare ..The conquest is a fine scope but cannot compare to the victory

I too vote for the Leupold VariXIII. They have a great product and a lifetime warranty. If you buy a used one, they still warranty the scope. I use a 3.5-10x50 on my 300 Win and it's been there for 15 years. If you expect to use it in close quarters, practice alot with it to be able to pick your target. Good luck. Mark

Robert2968, do you have the Zeiss victory? I have a hard time with the EXTRA cost, but have not done a real comparison to the Leupolds. Thanks

Default Kahles

Gets My Vote -- Though I just purchased a Schmidt & Bender 1.5-6 x 42 for my new 338-06 . Have yet to shoot it yet as it is still at the gunsmiths getting lapped and etc. But by the way it looks I think I will be equally satisfied.

Lost 1 this is Lost 3 --- are you lost 2 ---- over

I second LuJon, Zeiss Conquest 2.5-8x32 is a great scope or the 3-9x40 may give you a little more light gathering. After the Zeiss I like the VXIII 2.5-8x36.

I currently have a Conquest in 3-9x50 on my 338. Little to big and doesn't fit in a gun boot very well. I would much rather have a 40mm but got a smoking good deal on the scope so that's why I went with the 50mm. Excellent scope none the less. One of two Conquests I own.

Don't have a 338, but I have a 375 h&h and it has a 1.5-6X Schmidt Bender Zenith...Great scope but kinda spendy....For the price, I think the Nikon Monarch 2.5-10X is hard to beat.

Smile Easy choice..?..?...?.

The Leupold VX III 2.5 X 8 by 36 mm and the Duplex reticle. The 2.5 power is fast and will cover most of the shots. Going to 6 power it is still fast and will take care of the long shot. The 8 power is good for shooting off the bench in the quest for those tiny little groups we all love. This is my all time favorite hunting scope for a .338 in Alaska. If I had a million bucks it is still the scope I would buy.